Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was thinking about replacing the trigger on my M&P with the Apex Flatty because I'm not a huge fan of their stock hinged trigger design.

Nevertheless, my friend told me that aftermarket triggers make the gun less reliable.

Is this true?

If it's true I'm probably gonna keep the stock trigger. :cry:

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Apex is a well know brand so as long as it is properly installed and tested it should be fine ..Always the element of risk putting aftermarket FCG in a modern pistol .

My though dep on where you are from and the laws of SD is it makes the trigger too light it might not look great in SD shooting ...Most will tell you this is hogwash that a gun is a gun for SD ..But I always worry too redical a mod esp on trigger weight might tip a case the wrong way if a proscuter had it out for you . Why I wont run "hair " trigger or the ultra light comp shooting triggers in guns safty and the whole he set up his gun to kill easier speach

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think there is a way to adjust it so it isn't necessarily "lighter" too right? I don't want a super light trigger either. The hinge design just annoys me. lol

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I have the Apex Tactical DCAEK on three of my M&P's and I love it. I keep the stock OEM trigger spring to return a lighter trigger pull (in the 5 to 5.25 pound range). Have never had one problem of any kind with any of these mods. Well worth the addition if your M&P's trigger does not meet your requirements.

Reactions: Holmes375

·
Premium Member
33,777 Posts
Stay away from Zev triggers. Beyond that, I got nuthin'. Well, not exactly. I have Bowie Tactical triggers on my carry guns. His LX trigger on an S&W is as close to a 1911 trigger as I've experienced on a striker-fired gun.

Reactions: Holmes375

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I thought it was federal law that you had to actually send everyone a Christmas card 🎁🤶
It is, but there is no federal law that you have to get it. 🎅 :giggle:

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hating the triangular plastic trigger, I tried two aftermarket alloy triggers in my Glock 43. On one the 'safe action' blade would slip past the frame, allowing the trigger to be pulled without the 'safe action'. The second one, a different brand, seemed to work fine, except when the pistol was dropped onto a carpeted floor from about 18" it would release the striker. It seems the alloy had significantly more mass than the plastic and would pull itself.

I don't change triggers anymore. Not worth the risk unless you can test the changes adequately.

·
Premium Member
33,777 Posts
The APEX trigger is probably more reliable than the stock plastic junk on an M&P
Interesting observation, although inaccurate in my experience. I've put thousands of trouble-free rounds downrange via those triggers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My old agency switched pistols a while back from SIG DA/SA pistols to S&W M&P pistols. The M&Ps were being fitted with the Apex duty trigger kit packages by the departments armorer. The range staff had tested the triggers and everyone preferred them to the stock trigger. (This was on the M&P 1.0 guns - I don't know if they are still doing it now with the 2.0 guns, or even if they are getting 2.0 guns at this time.)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
As someone earlier stated, the Apex triggers are safe assuming the installation is correctly done. IMO, it is a superior trigger to the M&P line of pistols....especially the 9mm and 40 S&W Shields and the early M&P's. For some reason the 2.0's and 45 Shields have a better feeling trigger, at least to me!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Personally, I don't have an issue with the factory trigger in full-size, compact, and subcompact M&P pistols save for the fact the trigger breaks a little farther to the rear than a Glock or even an M&P Shield, and the reset could be a little shorter now that I am used to the SRT in my SIG P229 and OP reset of my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. As such I am thinking of getting an Apex forward reset trigger which is the only product they have which will get the trigger to break a little more forward (similar to the M&P shield which has a larger polymer overtravel stop and thicker trigger). The fact that the trigger is hinged is a non issue for me, it's where the trigger breaks that that leaves something to be desired (for me). Even then, it's not that big a deal and the Apex kit will send me back $175 which if a bit steep, so I am still on the fence.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
3 Posts
I absolutely hate those hinged triggers, just out of principle, and the Glock-style triggers with the dingus, hate those too. Hate, hate, hate. My solution... don't buy them.
I don't think those triggers are ANY safer and I think MANY people dislike them as much as I do. I think manufacturers are actually losing a lot of sales because of this.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The reliability issue is in lightening the springs. The springs need to be balanced to the system and if you reduce the striker spring you will reach a point that it may not set off all primers. A very bad thing in a self defense firearm.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The reliability issue is in lightening the springs. The springs need to be balanced to the system and if you reduce the striker spring you will reach a point that it may not set off all primers. A very bad thing in a self defense firearm.
Drop safety can also be compromised. Proceed with care. It may be reliable, but is it safe?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts