Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not polite to stare but knowing what I know now about various concealment areas and methods, I involuntarily find myself scoping out people with tell tale signs of CCW - Vests? Loose T-shirts? Light jackets when it's warm outside?

And if I spot a guy printing I take notes on what not to do.

In your view, is that wrong? Should we mind our own businesses? And do bad guys scope out for CCW holders in the same way?

Thoughts on the subject!

·
Premium Member
39,108 Posts
I'm already fairly well-versed on what not to do. Concealed carry is still rare in Ohio, so I spend very little contemplating it.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Oh, there are tons of ccw holders who spend their time trying to spot every bulge and print.

Personally, I'm too busy living life and going about my business. My radar focuses on suspicious behavior, and people who look out of place. If I spot something which goes on my radar, I will likely scrutinize the potential nogoodniks more closely, but I get bored trying to look for people's hidden guns.

But for some people, looking for hidden guns, is almost an obsession. I suppose if I were a police officer working in an urban setting, I may look harder for guns.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
I do not. I'd say never but I try never to say never.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can't help but notice belt clips, especially when someone is wearing more than one tactical clothing article. I draw the line though at trying to ID Smartcarry wearers.

And yes, I've learned from watching others, particularly to do so with confidence as about half the time I notice someone carrying it's due to them touching their gun or tugging their shirt.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I'm already fairly well-versed on what not to do. Concealed carry is still rare in Ohio, so I spend very little contemplating it.
It gets less rare every time I come to Ohio and Im from Ky LOL. Was just there this past weekend. I know im legal there but didnt realize cc was that rare in Ohio. :smile:

As to the OPs question, nah I dont unless somebody does something to catch my attention to the point that Im aware specifically of that person. Then I will try to figure out if they are armed or not. Otherwise I dont just check for it on folks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's not polite to stare but knowing what I know now about various concealment areas and methods, I involuntarily find myself scoping out people with tell tale signs of CCW - Vests? Loose T-shirts? Light jackets when it's warm outside?

In your view, is that wrong? Should we mind our own businesses? And do bad guys scope out for CCW holders in the same way?

Thoughts on the subject!
is it wrong?? no, just don't announce when you think you've spotted someone. It could be an LEO just getting out of uniform and wanting a quick pit stop to pick up something for supper.

Mind our own business? Yes, to a point. Be alert enough to see trouble coming, be suspicious of those who deserve special attention. (the ones who set off the radar due to actions, dress, or what they say or how they say things.) Otherwise don't try to scope out every person you cross paths with, most are just doing their own thing, and do not intend to harm anyone.

not being a bad guy, or someone who interacts with bad guys on a regular or even an occasional basis I can't say for certain what they do. One interaction I have had with a bad guy who decided I wasn't worth the effort, was for him to walk a half circle around me, glaring at me and sizing me up the entire time. Hee Hee he outweighed me by at least 50 pounds, and was about the same height as I am, but walked away in a huff none the less. This was a couple years before I decided to go for a CCW. I am certain he was unarmed, and equally certain he wanted an easy victim. It seems to me that as long as you project a willingness to resist harm, most criminals will seek out easier victims or softer targets.

Ok lets have it, how wrong is my thinking??

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Never had an inkling to know if someone else is carrying........

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Some not all by any means BGs will have second thoughts if their would be victim doesnt show the fear they think they will.
They have normally picked you because they think you are somehow weaker or in a vulnerable position, and lack of fear at times will make them wonder if theres a nasty surprise in store for them even if they cant quite figure out what it may be.

Not armed themselves if a BG does make you as armed he probably will seek out another target unless hes high desperate or hardened felon of some kind and then all bets are likely off.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sometimes I do if I'm bored, mostly just to see if I can spot it. I've yet to see any. My wife spotted a guy one evening in Steak n Shake with an IWB holster at 4:00 but his shirt was tucked inside of it. More OC really, but not super obvious.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Lots of folks are "people watchers" and I think most of us do it occasionally. To me it's all part of SA to be scanning the people around me. The things you mention (eg a jacket in 100 degree weather) can be red flags, especially if that person is acting funny.

Reactions: squid86

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Beyond noticing things due to general situational awareness, no. Got better things to do than stare at a bulge in someone's pants.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I attribute it to situational awareness too. I've found that I start scanning for hidden guns once a guy gives me a weird vibe. Either acting funny or dressed inappropriately as some of you have mentioned. The sheepy kind I almost ignore - you know when someone's autopiloting right past you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes, I do I know in our church there are several that carry but I don't know who, so I find myself looking to see if I can spot them.
In restaurants I keep an eye open for suspicious people. I am not paranoid but cautious.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, I usually look for printing on good looking gals. I guess, if I would admit it, I check out all of them. One time while studying a gal for CCW in a restuarant, I stuck the straw to my drink up my nose. My wife asked if I had started drinking through my nose. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I do occasionally spend time "people watching." It can be good training, particularly if done with one or two other, experienced people who have an eye for such things. It's amazing what you can pick up. Helps for sensing when something out of kilter, for seeing details most folks dismiss as irrelevant, or (as you suggest) for identifying someone who's armed.

Do I typically go hunting for others around me who might be carrying? No. Got better things to do. But I do try to pay attention for basic indicators and clues to potential threats, things out of kilter. That'll never get old.

In your view, is that wrong?
Can't imagine what could possibly be wrong or verboten with learning from the others around us. It's pretty harmful to fail to do that, actually, in the long run. And when it comes to threats and potential threats that are in the waters all around, it can be downright deadly if we're so head-in-clouds that we don't even care of such things. (aka, Condition White.)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i have always been a people watcher, so now that i am more aware f how people carry i do find myself looking for that as well. but i dont just sit down in the park and try to spot CCW. its just merely that i like to be aware of my surroundings and if im somewhere waiting i watch people and how they react to others and all.

now if you spotted a CCW and yelled out "Found You!!!" i think id be alittle mad at you :wink:

Reactions: Christopher67

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I check people out without making a career of looking to see if they're carrying other than those that are obvious. If they look "suspicious" I'll keep a subtle watch of them. I really haven't spotted more than a handful but then again I'm not obsessed with it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I live in Utah. From time to time, I will look/watch for ccw on others, but because I live in Utah, doing it all the time would be a full-time job. One thing I've become most aware of: Literally, everyone around me could be cc'ing. I don't know if I "knew" that 6 months ago.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't, but apparently my wife does... I catch her looking at a guy and she says "I'm just looking to see if he's carrying AIWB..." Now I'm wondering if I should believe that...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts