Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
we carry 'em ready to go (dept has Glocks, Sig, H&K, S&W) the HK carrying folks are required to keep hammer down, no cocked/locked but they are ready to shoot

we can't say "oh badguy, timeout....I need to chamber a round"

.....and neither should any other good guys

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I've never heard of a LEO who didn't carry a round chambered, that would defeat the porpose. As a LEO, (soon), we are reactive, we are already behind in the game, to have to add chambering a round into the time equation, too many good officers wouldn't survive gun fights.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Glock 23, always a chambered round.
And when I carry my Sig 220 or 226 round in the chamber
hammer decocked down.

Back when I started LE wheel guns ruled and we carried 6 in
the cylinder ready to roll.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Everyone on our sheriff's dept. carries a Glock 22 or 23 with one in the pipe.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I was watching The Fugitive movie the other night, (for the 4th or 5th time) and picked up on something I had not noticed before. Everytime the US Marshalls, (Tommy Lee Jones and his co-deputies) pulled their Glock 19's (or 23's?)...they racked the slides to chamber a round. I know this looks cool on TV or in the movies, but it is not practical in real life.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
yep

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Add another "Yup, they do." to the list.

Btw, I've never heard of a regular patrolman carrying a 1911, I'm sure there's some departments that allow them though, but I've seen SWAT carry them. They were in condition 1.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I believe this man is the only man in Modern American Law Enforcement who does not carry with a round in the chamber! And he is under orders not to!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Add another "Yup, they do." to the list.

Btw, I've never heard of a regular patrolman carrying a 1911, I'm sure there's some departments that allow them though, but I've seen SWAT carry them. They were in condition 1.
They are going out of fashon as a EDC for LEO's no doubt. Years ago here in Houston, ever other officer had one. A good friend of mine, and his partner, had an incident in which a turd shot his partner in the head with a .38 revolver when they were on a traffic stop. As the turd ran from their location, my friend pulled his trusty 1911, fired one shot, hitting the turd in the lower abdomen (unfortunatly it did not kill him), then he had a FTF. By the time he cleared the gun the turd was down.

The irony to this story is only a week earlier he had gone to the 1911 from a 6" Colt .45 revolver. He never went back to the 1911. Not that its not a good gun, but he had no confidence in the gun. Most of the guys i see on the street, in the Houston area anyway, have some sort of high cal semi. At the smaller SO's you may see the occasional 1911, and it seems most of the Texas Rangers will carry 1911's, but they are usually very ornate.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Most agencies around the & following counties carry Glocks of one model or
another, Just my abservement. H/D

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The irony to this story is only a week earlier he had gone to the 1911 from a 6" Colt .45 revolver. He never went back to the 1911. Not that its not a good gun, but he had no confidence in the gun. Most of the guys i see on the street, in the Houston area anyway, have some sort of high cal semi. At the smaller SO's you may see the occasional 1911, and it seems most of the Texas Rangers will carry 1911's, but they are usually very ornate.
There is an old superstition in the Houston/Harris County area, among LEOs, that when you switch duty guns, you are more likely to get into a shooting. Interesting, to see that was the case with your story. My shooting incident occurred in 1993 two weeks after I switched from a P220 to a GP100. (The "European" style P220's heel-clip mag release was snagging the car seat, partially releasing the mag on occasion.)

I have switched more times since then, though, without getting into more shootings. Last time I switched weapon types was in 2004, when I went to a SIG P229. For those of y'all who may be wondering, it is common in this region of Texas for LEOs to provide their own duty pistols; usually there are guidelines as to which ones. Houston PD has a rather short list of DA .40 autos.

To get back on topic, I do indeed keep my duty and personal defensive pistols loaded, with a round in the chamber. My DAK SIGs cannot stay cocked; they are a form of DA-only. My DA/SA SIGs are kept decocked. When I carried 1911 pistols for duty and CC, they were kept cocked, with the safety on, of course. My shotguns are carried with loaded magazines tubes, but empty chambers. The crossbolt safety on an 870 just blocks the trigger; an 870 is not as drop-safe as your average pistol.

I am not sure of the significance of "COPS" being in all-caps in the original post; typing in all-caps on on-line forums is generally considered to be the equivalent of yelling. I will assume it was not meant to be derogatory.

Anyway, among US law enforcement officers, those who carry duty pistols with empty chambers are anomalies; they certainly exist, but they will virtually all be ones who decided to do so on their own.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just wondering if COPS keep the service guns locked and ready to fire?
Auto or otherwise!
From what I’ve seen, most departments are using striker fired sidearms. Yes they always have a round chambered.

·
Registered
211 Posts
CBP has it in our policy that issued guns are carried loaded, with round in the chamber and magazines fully loaded.

We carried H&K P2000s, but now Glocks. OFO is the 19 Gen5 MOS. BP and I believe AMO both have the option of it and the 47 (45 lower, 17 upper with a longer bottom to cover the gap... along with 19 recoil assembly).

·
Registered
488 Posts
My friend on the department that I worked for told me this story once. For some time, he carried a 1911, later on a Para P14. He went into a convenience store to pick up something and a patron walked up to him and said "Excuse me officer, did you know that your pistol was cocked?" He replied "Thank you, I do, but don't worry - its on a timer and not set to go off for another couple of hours." He then paid for his items and walked out.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
It's sobering to see this post from 2009, and see all the folks who are no longer posting here.

And ye, its still true. Loaded, one in the chamber.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts