Defensive Carry banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
I love necro-threads...they just make my day. I feel like Chippie the Parakeet when I fall for one...

“CHIPPIE THE PARAKEET NEVER saw it coming. One second he was peacefully perched in his cage. The next he was sucked in, washed up, and blown over. The problems began when Chippie’s owner decided to clean Chippie’s cage with a vacuum cleaner. She removed the attachment from the end of the hose and stuck it in the cage. The phone rang, and she turned to pick it up. She’d barely said ‘hello’ when ‘sssopp!’ Chippie got sucked in.

“The bird owner gasped, put down the phone, turned off the vacuum, and opened the bag. There was Chippie– still alive, but stunned. Since the bird was covered with dust and soot, she grabbed him and raced to the bathroom, turned on the faucet, and held Chippie under the running water. Then, realizing that Chippie was soaked and shivering, she did what any compassionate bird owner would do . . she reached for the hair dryer and blasted the pet with hot air.

“Poor Chippie never knew what hit him.

“A few days after the trauma, the reporter who’d initially written about the event contacted Chippie’s owner to see how the bird was recovering. ‘Well,’ she replied, ‘Chippie doesn’t sing much anymorc he just sits and stares.’

“It’s hard not to see why. Sucked in, washed up, and blown over . . . that’s enough to steal the song from the stoutest heart."

Yep...Chippie, that's me!

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
Updated
I believe that our local P.D. are predominantly GLOCK and have been for years.
There be one or two exceptions. We have a couple of new officers that I don't know yet.

Older thread but, have at it if you still think it's a relevant topic.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
11 year old thread resurrected! Glocks can't be carried cocked and locked. 1911's and some Sigs can be.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Well, to update my 2009 post, I finished my career, in early 2018, qual‘ed with two 1911 .45 ACP pistols, and two 9mm Glock pistols. Yes, I carried the 1911 pistols chambered, cocked, and with the thumb safety on-safe. Glocks chambered, with, of course, the passive safeties doing their thing.

The P229R DAK, mentioned in my earlier reply post, had started vexing my aging right thumb and wrist, in 2011, a 50th birthday gift; the high bore axis and .40 Snap & Whip working against me. (The actual damage had probably mostly been done in the Eighties, with big-bore Magnums; those kinds of chickens take a while to come home to roost.) In late 2015, my chief have me two gifts; the OK to switch to a 9mm duty pistol, immediately, and, after attending a transition class, the ability to again carry a 1911 duty pistol. So, I started carrying a G17, in September 2015, and a 1911, in March 2016.

And, yes, this was “regular patrol,” Houston PD, in Texas, USA. I carried 1911 duty pistols 1990-1991, 1997-2002, and 2016-2018.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I'd call that "finishing strong"...love that 1911~ Thanks for all your years of service. Nice to know you'll never make another TA report in a cold rain, ain't it!

·
Premium Member
34,611 Posts
Do Cops Keep Their Guns Loaded And Cocked?

All these years later, do I care yet?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I retired in 2005 after 45 years on various departments, and the old empty chamber had just about gone the way of the Dodo bird, as had the old type of holsters, carried several different handguns along the way, The first Sherriff I worked the road for even let me carry my beloved 1911 in 38super , finished out with the DAO 220, 1911 45acp, and the always in the pocket bobbed hammer model 60

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Add another "Yup, they do." to the list.

Btw, I've never heard of a regular patrolman carrying a 1911, I'm sure there's some departments that allow them though, but I've seen SWAT carry them. They were in condition 1.
This may be a regional thing. 1911 police duty pistols have not been a rare sight in SE and southern Texas, for as long as I can remember. I would have started noticing this, in the Seventies.

I'd call that "finishing strong"...love that 1911~ Thanks for all your years of service. Nice to know you'll never make another TA report in a cold rain, ain't it!
Yes, so very good to have put that behind me, forever. Thanks for your kind words.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Yes.
But not TV cops...they rack the slide every time they pull from the holster or enter a corridor or pose for a close up or are about to get out of a car. They always seem to forget that they just chambered a round in the previous scene. Then there's the TV cops who thumb the hammer back on their Glocks with a resounding click. Gets me every time.

·
Registered
644 Posts
A weapon that is NOT in condition 1 is a BOAT ANCHOR!!!!

Been a cop for 40ish years now (man I need to retire but don't wanna), and believe me, you do NOT get the time to rack and roll when the SHTF is upon you.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts