Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 year old Dad recently sold his house and the closing will be in late January. I will be going with him to 'clean out the place' and was wondering if there is ANY way to carry (or at the very least have my weapon with me).

Besides being used to carrying, I really don't want to have a big target (in the form of a U-Haul truck) without any protection.

To top things off, Dad recently had a fender-bender and was required to take a driving test (which he did not pass). Needless to say, he is not happy with NYS DMV.

Thanks!

Bill

ps. I plan on being totally out of luck on this issue, but I am hoping that someone will have an idea that I did not think of...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Any chance of becoming a sworn LEO between now and then?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I figured as such...

Heck, I don't even know who to try to bribe!!

Bill

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
As a former prisoner, err..resident...
No. No such thing as a non resident permit, no reciprocity and a long PITA process to get a permit AS a resident, IF you live in a county there that will issue at all.

I hate even visiting relatives there anymore.

Get comfortable with blunt weapons, and less than lethals.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
As a former prisoner, err..resident...
No. No such thing as a non resident permit, no reciprocity and a long PITA process to get a permit AS a resident, IF you live in a county there that will issue at all.

I hate even visiting relatives there anymore.

Get comfortable with blunt weapons, and less than lethals.

Arko you make it sound like very few counties in NY issue when in FACT that is not the case. Two questions, how many counties are there in NY and how many do NOT issue?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can not even buy pistol ammo from Walmart any more with out a NY pistol permit. I always used my form 6 and state hunting permit. Which I am legally permitted to do so as long as the ammo stays in the US. I like to buy it over there. It is less then half the price compared to Canada. I shoot in VT and have my CCW for ME and just waiting... on NH. NY laws remind me of Canada, they are a bit better but not by much.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
NY State is comprised of about 64 counties of which 4 are considered to be NY City. Only a few of the counties close to the dreaded 4 (Manhattan,Kings,Queens and Richmond) are a little more involved when it comes to getting a handgun permit but permits ARE issued in them.

The 4 listed above make up only a very minor portion of the State's geography but as to the rest of the State obtaining a permit is just a matter of having a clean record and filling out the paperwork. Many counties automatically issue non-restricted permits.

Long guns (except for the dreaded 4) are not a permit issue anywhere in the State..

FWIW

bosco

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
NY State is comprised of about 64 counties of which 4 are considered to be NY City. Only a few of the counties close to the dreaded 4 (Manhattan,Kings,Queens and Richmond) are a little more involved when it comes to getting a handgun permit but permits ARE issued in them.

The 4 listed above make up only a very minor portion of the State's geography but as to the rest of the State obtaining a permit is just a matter of having a clean record and filling out the paperwork. Many counties automatically issue non-restricted permits.

Long guns (except for the dreaded 4) are not a permit issue anywhere in the State..

FWIW

bosco
Bosco,
It's not quite THAT easy, even upstate. The background check is ridiculous, and can take forever, and even some UPSTATE counties reject a considerable portion of applications, with little recourse as the state is MAY issue, not SHALL issue.
Getting a permit in my native Oneida County requires an act of Congress, or "knowing" the right people.
I'm happy for YOU though if your county wasn't quite so onerous. :bier:

But, more to the point, there is NO way for the OP to carry legally.:nono:
(and I think it's crap)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts

FWIW

bosco
Thanks Bosco...

We have enough to deal with in NY that we don't need misrepresentation.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I wasn't trying to misinterpret. I was a native and found the system to get one god-awful. Your mileage and perception may vary. My eyes opened wide when I moved south and found more of the freedom that every citizen should enjoy.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Bosco,
It's not quite THAT easy, even upstate. The background check is ridiculous, and can take forever, and even some UPSTATE counties reject a considerable portion of applications, with little recourse as the state is MAY issue, not SHALL issue.
Getting a permit in my native Oneida County requires an act of Congress, or "knowing" the right people.

(and I think it's crap)

I have yet to here of ANYONE without a felony conviction being denied a permit. I can't speak for the county you lived in but I know people from all over the place whom had no problem getting them.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have yet to here of ANYONE without a felony conviction being denied a permit. I can't speak for the county you lived in but I know people from all over the place whom had no problem getting them.
From Oneida County's Website:

Application Information

IN ORDER TO PICK UP AN APPLICATION FOR A PISTOL LICENSE IN ONEIDA COUNTY YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:

1. Be at least 21 years old
2. Be a resident of Oneida County for at least 1 year
3. Show proof of the above 2 items with a valid NYS Drivers License ONLY.
4. Show proof that you have had previous formal handgun training within the last three (3) years.

a. A Certificate or letter from a N.R.A. Basic Pistol shooting course.
b. Active Military ID or recent discharge papers. (3 years)
c. Active Police Officer or Corrections Officer status or recently retired (3 years)
5. *To Receive a "full carry" license or "unrestricted" license, It is solely the licensing officers decision as to whether the applicant has demonstrated proper cause for the issuance of a unrestricted license.

Onondaga and most Syracuse area counties are similar.

Notice that reference to proper cause". That's crap.

But hey, I'm not looking for an argument. :smile:You like it there, and can get yours...great. Happy for you. :yup: Glad someone can, and perhaps I'm mistaken about other areas, but you can't deny that it's neigh impossible for a non resident to carry...and that IS crap in my book.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bosco,

(and I think it's crap)
Thats what I was going to say.
I lived in Broome country for more than 4 years and when I asked about a carry permit the response was basically a chuckle and 'good luck'.
Getting a permit to OWN A handgun is one thing upstate. Getting a carry permit is hard to impossible unless the applicant is carrying diamonds or cash or something...

·
Registered
133 Posts
5. *To Receive a "full carry" license or "unrestricted" license, It is solely the licensing officers decision as to whether the applicant has demonstrated proper cause for the issuance of a unrestricted license.
EXACTLY !
And when I called the Broome county Sheriff they basically told me that unless I was a Jeweler or something and needed a gun because I was carrying something that would encourage someone robbing me that there pretty much was no chance at all that the carry application would be approved.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
From Oneida County's Website:

Application Information

IN ORDER TO PICK UP AN APPLICATION FOR A PISTOL LICENSE IN ONEIDA COUNTY YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:

1. Be at least 21 years old
2. Be a resident of Oneida County for at least 1 year
3. Show proof of the above 2 items with a valid NYS Drivers License ONLY.
4. Show proof that you have had previous formal handgun training within the last three (3) years.

a. A Certificate or letter from a N.R.A. Basic Pistol shooting course.
b. Active Military ID or recent discharge papers. (3 years)
c. Active Police Officer or Corrections Officer status or recently retired (3 years)

Onondaga and most Syracuse area counties are similar.

Notice that reference to proper cause". That's crap.

I agree that is crap...

But hey, I'm not looking for an argument. :smile:

I'm not either. I just don't want the wrong info out for all to misinterpret.

You like it there, and can get yours...great. Happy for you. :yup: Glad someone can, and perhaps I'm mistaken about other areas, but you can't deny that it's neigh impossible for a non resident to carry...and that IS crap in my book.
It's crap that we can't carry anywhere in the US at any time without interference. We have undergone background checks and are proven law abiding citizens, that should be good enough.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
EXACTLY !
And when I called the Broome county Sheriff they basically told me that unless I was a Jeweler or something and needed a gun because I was carrying something that would encourage someone robbing me that there pretty much was no chance at all that the carry application would be approved.
Yup. Very frustrating.

But I AM glad Bosco and Rot have a healthy sense of state pride. If more folks did that would stand up for our rights, maybe NY can be saved! :hand10:

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are 5 Boros/Counties in the City of New York:

1) Manhattan (New York County)
2) The Bronx (Bronx County)
3) Brooklyn (Kings County)
4) Queens (Queens County)
5) Staten Island (Richmond County)

The remainder of the information is accurate. :)

~ An escapee of the Imperial State of New York.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts