Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please gimme your feedback on this...My wife and I are getting a divorce. She moved out about three months ago to 'have some time to sort out her feelings'. Now she says her feelings have not changed and she wants to proceed with a divorce.
When she left, she kept a Kel-Tec P11 I bought for her about two years ago due to her work location. She knows how to use it and either keeps it locked in her car or where she lives now. All the Federal paperwork that had to be filled out at the time of purchase is in my name. I have multiple other guns, so it's not like I am without, but should I ask for this back when it comes time to split up assets? Should I let her keep it for personal protection when our two sons are with her?

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Let her keep it................for $200? :embarassed:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Let her keep it................for $200? :embarassed:
muahahahahaha. That just needed to be followed with an evil laugh.

Anyway, nothing meaningful to add. You did say you bought it for her, but if it were me I might mention getting it back to her.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would probably just let her keep it too.
It was given as a gift and maybe not worth
an argument. Of course legally you could get
it back if you wanted since it is in your name
and you paid for it. Also maybe depends on how nice
she has been about other things through this hard time
if you want it back or not

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
If you two are still 'talking', ask her if she really wants that gun to 'remember you by'...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
If she wants it, let go...perhaps she'll just give it back.
Either way, I wouldn't worry about it...life is too short...move on...:bier:

·
Registered
119 Posts
First, what are the laws regarding the transfer of ownership of firearms? Save yourself any headaches (unless you really want it ) and transfer it into her name, and get yourself something else! Unless she want's to give it back!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Let her have it.

Put it in the paperwork that she has the weapon and you are letting her keep it.

It will be on court record and goes to show you care about her safety and the safety of your children. Believe it or not, it's a good thing.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
She may need it to protect the children, let her keep it. Just make sure it is in the divorce settlement that it is now in her possession and no longer your property. Just a CYA thing.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'd let her keep it. In a divorce there are too many other things to worry about. Besides, do want to leave her and your kids without any means of protection?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You should only take the gun back if you think she is going to commit a crime with it (hmm, how nasty was this divorce?).

Otherwise, let her keep it. Especially since she knows how to use it, and she will have your sons with her some of the time.

-Plop

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Or, if it will make you feel better, you can have her sign a bill of sale so that you have documentation that she now owns the gun. Here is a link to a free one: http://rasj.org/FBOS/firearm-bill-of-sale-2.doc

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. Just trying to help a guy out.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
As Tubby said, let her keep it and make sure that it's spelled out in the divorce decree that she is in possession of it and ownership is transferred to her. I'd even list the serial number. Unless your home state requires it, there is no Federal requirement for a FFL transfer between private parties who are residents of the same state.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sorry to hear about the divorce. I had a rough one, hope yours is smooth.

As for the firearm, let her keep it. It may give good will that she wont ask for any others. Remember, in a marriage its 50/50, and she could ask for more of them just to spite you.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Of course legally you could get
it back if you wanted since it is in your name
and you paid for it.
You might get it back pursuant to a divorce court decree which divides up the property, but that usually is within the discretion of the judge. Otherwise, your legal reasoning is quite wrong.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Lost an early production Glock 17 in a divorce. Glad it was the only gun she took. At least I got the dog.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
It's only $200 bucks ,good lawyers are getting twice that.Don't fight over something so mundane, pick your battles.Remember your consul will advise you
to be a pugilist as this is bill a bill time at $250-$400 an hour an boy don't they
like to see the hours go up ! I speak from experience. my case in 1979 cost me
$1650. I was given bad advice from a lawyer who saw a guy who wanted some justice at any cost,I got it all right!Listen to the posters we been through it at least one time.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The final decree of divorce spells out who gets what in detail, so don't worry about legalities with regards to that. Prior to that, your lawyer and hers will hash things out as to property. Make sure yours knows what you want to keep and what you want her to have.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Don't worry about the small stuff... and things "may" go easier, this is small stuff.

I agree, have the specify the gun went to her in the divorce decree. Believe me, we put some things in that I thought was stupid to list but later .... it paid off.

A woman at work was in the middle of a divorce and unlike many situations, "he" was taking her to court to pay for his medical insurance. Well, in 'open' court..... he also demanded his handgun back from her.... upon she replied "you mean that stolen one you had".... which resulted in the Sheriff Officer's retrieiving the gun and checking it. He went to prison.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts