Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sitting here wondering if I really need my AR-15. I live in a city, I can't afford to buy ammo for it, it doesn't appear there are any plans to ban them any time soon, and I could really use the money for other things. I could probably get about $750 for it if I sell it. I could do so many things with that money that would be much more useful to me. These things include getting a better reloading setup, being able to reload more calibers, buying ammo that I actually shoot, buying a new gun or two (could really use a new 1911), and the list could keep going. So really, do I need this AR-15 for any other reason than just to say that I have one? I can't hunt with it, I wouldn't use it for home defense, and I don't have the money to shoot it at the range.

·
Registered
797 Posts
You really don't need any guns that's what the police are for ... LOL. Seriously though, I would never exchange a firearm for ammo: "my brother is so dumb he sold his truck to get gas money" Larry. In general I would say that a lot of my firearms are not because I need them; aside from hunting and carry guns (of which some are redundant) the rest are really for fun. I am starting 3-gun so now I have a "need" for my 590 and one AR.

Edit: The quote is Larry the Cable Guy, not a jab at the OP, more of a commentary on the idea of trading, just be careful in your choices.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't plan do buy ammo buy selling the AR, if anything I would buy a new gun. I also have guns because they are fun to shoot, not because I need them all. I thought the AR would be fun to shoot too, but it really isn't for me. I'm active duty and have shot many a M-16 full auto. That was pretty fun, but I wasn't directly paying for the ammo either. I was thinking about selling the AR and buying something that would be fun and cheaper to shoot, like another 1911 or another .22. I already have a long range rifle (30-06), two 22's, 2 1911's, and a 12ga, so I'm pretty well rounded right now.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Sounds like you got a plan

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The one thing that I have noticed is that gun owners quite regularly get seller's remorse after selling a gun. So the question I would ask you is will you regret it in a year?

·
Registered
792 Posts
All I can add to it - no, at this point you don't really need it. BUT,... I wouldn't recommend selling it either. I have thought about selling some guns in the past when money was tight, but I'm very thankful I didn't. I feel you would regret it if you did sell it. Also, stocking up ammo for weapon's like that is a good thing. If SHTF like predicted, you'll be glad you have it for sure. You cannot put a 30-40 round mag in your 30-06,..

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have never sold a gun that I did not regret later .

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Well, it's all about priorities... The nice thing about guns is their value for resale.

I'm no one to ask because I acquire guns, I don't get rid of them once I get one.

My criteria for selling a gun would be to feed my family, and I'm not at that point yet. However we all have priorities and I would certainly understand your reason for getting rid of the AR.

What I will say is that we are living in dangerous times... the likes of which I have never seen before! This is a scary administration trying to gain total control over peoples lives and it is very uncertain how all this is going to play out.

There are a lot of people who just don't believe we have anything to worry about. That the USA is not at risk of losing the liberty it was founded on. And there are a lot who are just going to go along and "do what they are told."

But I gotta say, on the flip side, there are a lot of people who see us on the brink of losing everything this country stood for and many of them have seen fascism up close and personal and know the signs.

I'm keeping my guns!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have experienced sellers remorse (sold an XD 45), but I try to avoid it by waiting at least 6 months before deciding to sell a gun. Lets put it this way, I had 120 rounds of .223 when I bought the gun a year ago, now I have 40. The only times I've shot it were sighting it in and I let a young shooter take a few shots with it at a milk jug.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No, but that is what's great about being an American! You have the luxury of letting your wants dictate what you own, not just your needs. Think hard before you sell, but if you decide you want to trade it off for different toys or strait cash, that's good to. I know ammo has been extremely tight for them lately. Hard choice.

Thinking about it, need is an interesting thing, I think I have only ever bought 1 gun (hunting rifle) that I needed, the rest I just wanted. And even then I didn't really need it, I could have used a $96 mosin nagant or something.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Instead of a AR15 ,I picked up a Beretta CX4 Storm in
.45 cal because in an urban SHTF type deal ,I don't feel I need
a .223 because it will shoot thrugh too many walls and hurt the
wrong people.:hand1:
I feel I would be dealing with louters and thugs, not military types
Plus I can shoot it in an indoor range because its not a rifle
round:smile:
You may look into one of those instead of your AR.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I wouldn't sell it. It will be at the top of the list when and if they try to ban them. The chances of you being able to buy a shotgun 5 years from now are probably going to be much better than trying to buy an AR.

I wouldn't sell it.

Joker1

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I too bought an AR about a year ago, and also a bunch of ammo as well.
Like the OP, I don't really need one. Not today I hope, but,you never know if your area will experience a New Orleans style disaster where you see a total breakdown of law and order.

If you have a choice, hang on to it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I like the 22lr conversion idea.

I don't shoot my AR much (too expensive!), but for civil unrest nothing will keep the mob at bay like an AR in a front sling. God forbid that ever happens, but you never know...and having 4 or 5 mags full and ready with a couple hundred yards of effective range is a mighty handy tool in the event of a crazy emergency.

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat? :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
So I'm sitting here wondering if I really need my AR-15. I live in a city, I can't afford to buy ammo for it, it doesn't appear there are any plans to ban them any time soon, and I could really use the money for other things. I could probably get about $750 for it if I sell it. I could do so many things with that money that would be much more useful to me. These things include getting a better reloading setup, being able to reload more calibers, buying ammo that I actually shoot, buying a new gun or two (could really use a new 1911), and the list could keep going. So really, do I need this AR-15 for any other reason than just to say that I have one? I can't hunt with it, I wouldn't use it for home defense, and I don't have the money to shoot it at the range.
J21, My advice would be to buy a good passel of magazines, as much ammo (not Wolf for an AR) as you can get, GET yourself to a range where you can get proficient with it.

I assume that you are young. You just have not seen the history that most of us have. These are VERY unique times.

IMNSHO, and in the opinions of many others, we are looking at just the beginnings of BAD TIMES.

You should be getting at least a vague feeling of anxiety.
Well, some of us, who have seen a lot of recessions and bad tense times for 30-40 years are crapping our pants.

If I had no battle rifle, I would sell a kidney to get one.

If you live in a city, I would bet anything that you are going to be using that rifle within the next few years.

Or... sell it to someone who will use it.

I doubt that you will have another chance to buy another one, very soon.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not exactly young anymore, almost 30. I am fairly proficient with the AR from Navy shooting. A CX-4 storm sounds mighty interesting, especially since I reload .45 for the 1911's.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I wouldn't sell it but we each need to make our own decisions. Recommendation - don't sell it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
For me, firearms bring out buyer's / seller's remorse more than other products. Here is what I've learned.

If you have a gun you like, but not sure if you want / need, never sell it for what you can get for it. Take your time and sell or trade it for something you want (but don't sell at a discount to buy something at retail).

If, after a great deal of research, you just can't deside between two similiar products, and the only difference is the price, here is what I do. 10% price difference, buy the more expensive. 20% price difference, buy the less expensive. I'm still stuck 11% to 19%.

If you have a gun you don't want, and you have not wanted it for over a year, sell it when you get a good offer, or an ok price, if you are selling it to someone you know who really wants one.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts