Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CW9 that runs good and I like the way it carries. I've been thinking about another gun purchase in the 9mm caliber for use as a pocket pistol. I've had my sights on the Kahr PM9, but not quite sold on its use in that capacity, but figured it would be useful for other deep concealment needs as well, i.e. Ankle carry, bellyband.

What I'm thinking of doing is converting my CW9 into a covert model by cutting the grip down to accommodate the PM9 magazine. As a lot of you know, the height of a pistol is usually the toughest measurement to conceal as apposed to barrel length, or at least it is for me. I've done some research on the process and it honestly looks pretty simple to achieve. My question is, (Do I really want to do this?). My quick answer is yes, but I want to make sure I haven't overlooked anything by wanting a shorter, thinner 9mm pistol over the stock version. My take on it is, I can't see any advantages to keep it stock, but at the same time I don't want to make the cut and regret it. The only disadvantage I can find is one less round, 8 vs 7 fully loaded.

I'm wanting to pickup a 1911 of some type in March, but I wanted to fill my 9mm needs, and if this works like I hope it will, that's what I'll probably do, if the price is right that is.:wink: If I can't find one thats reasonable I'll add another Glock to the inventory instead, but I really want a good 1911. Anyway, below is a couple of pick of what I fond on the chop job, and it's on the venue for this evening unless someone points out why I shouldn't do it.

KahrP9Covert_4.jpg

001.jpg

KahrP9Covert_5.jpg

001-1.jpg

KahrP9Covert_1.jpg

Your insight and knowledge is appreciated!:hand10:

GBK

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cause I want to purchase a Kimber in March, or one of the other decent 1911's in the $1000 range, but if I go for the PM9 or the P9 Covert my 1911 purchase is put on hold until next year.... Not something I want to do.

My CW9 is doing nothing but sitting in the safe. This way I can get me another 9mm pocket option besides my LCP or 642.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
So you all ready have two perfectly good pocket guns, but want to chop the frame of a perfectly good gun that you like the way it works and carries to be another pocket gun. :thinking:

As you haven't said, I'll ask. Have you tried the CW9 in the pocket of different pairs of pants to see how the length of the slide willwork with pocket carry?

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Amen dont do a chop job..if you arent gonna use a CW9 trade it toward a PM9 or a P9 Covert like JD says.

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
Absolutely try it before you cut.

I pocket carried a PM9 for several years, but some pants (business attire suit pants) have very shallow pockets. The length of the slide absolutely would make a difference - even the shorter PM9 would peek out of the pocket with those pants - had to keep my suit coat on.

A less expensive alternative is to take the pants to a seamstress, and have your pockets made deeper.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:blink: 9mm +p vs .380 or .38, I'll go with the 9.
7 rounds 9mm vs 5 .38 and 7 .380. I'll go with the 9 again.

Yes, I have tried the CW9 in the pocket and if I crop the grip it will work. That's why I'm wanting to do it...:hand10:

GBK :bier:

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
For the record this is a topic I've thought a lot about. as I want to take a K9 and chop the frame to MK9 dimensions as a replacement gun for my Colt Mustang +II, the only reason I'm even entertaining this is that no such beast was made by Kahr, the K40 came in a Covert for a very limited time, but there was no K9 Covert that I have found and as I carry the gun IWB I'm not concerned with the slide length and would prefer the longer bbl of the K9 to the MK9.

The only reason I haven't done this yet is that I haven't really found anyone to do the work yet and until I get my IA permit (class this month... finally) what's the point?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I personally would not do it. If you somehow screw up, you have $400 worth of junk! Plus, you have no way of knowing whether or not you will like or be happy with the gun, until it's cut.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I'm going to go against conventional wisdom, and say go for it. But, proceed with caution.

Here is why I say do it; First, a used CW9 really doesnt hold much dollar value. Its a great little CC piece, but in its current configuration it is not doing you much good. Although you are taking away from value is in the gun by altering it, you probably will be adding a lot of value to a niche market should you want to sell it down the road. Just make sure you have the skill and tools to do the job correctly, with a nice and clean finish.
I had a P9 covert for a while, and I'm sorry I got rid of it. I thought the PM9 would carry much better... but it really doesnt.

Measure, measure and measure again before you cut.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to go against conventional wisdom, and say go for it. But, proceed with caution.

Here is why I say do it; First, a used CW9 really doesnt hold much dollar value. Its a great little CC piece, but in its current configuration it is not doing you much good. Although you are taking away from value is in the gun by altering it, you probably will be adding a lot of value to a niche market should you want to sell it down the road. Just make sure you have the skill and tools to do the job correctly, with a nice and clean finish.
I had a P9 covert for a while, and I'm sorry I got rid of it. I thought the PM9 would carry much better... but it really doesnt.
Agreed as to the used value and it use to me sitting in the safe. For the most part I don't sell or trade my pistols. You never get what you have in um, and it's been my experience that somewhere down the road I always regretted the trade for one reason or the other. I appreciate the suggestions and concerns that have been expressed, but I have pretty much already decided to do the work, but was wondering if there was some advantages I should give consideration to for keeping it stock, other than the value. I really don't care if the value goes down from the alteration as I'm not gonna sell, or trade it anyway. It's a good running 9mm IMO and I want to keep it, more to the point I want to carry it. My true goal is to alternate between my LCP and my CW9 as my pocket pistols. Mostly around the house or around town on the weekends. I do have all the tools I'll need and I've always considered myself pretty skillful, so I'm not to worried about failing in the alteration, but I agree, it would only take one snafu and there ya go...

I like 10thmtn's suggestion on the pocket alteration, that's a keeper there. Thanks!:hand10:

Measure, measure and measure again before you cut
Will do and good advice.:hand10:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I personally would not do it. If you somehow screw up, you have $400 worth of junk! Plus, you have no way of knowing whether or not you will like or be happy with the gun, until it's cut.
From my preliminary measuring it will be something very close to the measurement of my G26 with the factory mag in it. I really like the way my G26 conceals and with the thinner Kahr I think it'll be perfect.

I'll post pics when I'm done with it.

:bier:

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
Good luck with the mod!

I though about chopping the grip on my Glock 19, to turn it into a hybrid G19/26. I even had a 'smith who would do it for a very reasonable price. But, in the end, I just bought a G26...I couldn't bear the idea of cutting up my G19!:embarassed:

Let us know how it turns out. You might have found yourself a new side business...

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man, I appreciate the encouraging words!

:bier:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Make sure you post pictures if you decide to go for it.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the finished model. Took about 45 minutes and not to bad at all.

After doing it, I'd say I friggin love it!:hand10:

It's like holden my LCP but with 7 rounds of 9mm +p attention getters. Here's some picks but my digital camera is down so it's the BB for now. Thanks for the encouragement and words of caution, I'm happier than a pig in the mud. Now I can get my 1911 as planned. In fact I spoke to a guy at the GS where I got the PM9 mag about a RIA 1911 and he's gonna hook me up in March. :image035:

Here's the pics. :bier:
CW9-Covert.gif

CW9-onTop_G26below.gif

CW9-G26.gif

CW9_wStockMag.gif

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Looks fantastic...I own a PM9 and love it and see nothing wrong with saving selling a gun and losing your butt by making a hybrid...I too want a Commander sized 1911 and think it is fantastic that you saved the cash....seriously, good thinking outside the box!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you sir.... Yeah, it wasn't bad at all. I was wanting a PM9, but @ 6 to 7 hundred bucks and my CW9 just sitting collecting dust I figured what the hell. Plus another whole year to wait for my I gotta have it pistol didn't set well. Anyway thanks again.

GBK :bier:

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
Nice job!:hand10:

Seems to be the same size as the G26 (thinner of course). You must have some big pockets!:smile:

PS - I hear good things about Rock Island 1911's...and the price is still reasonable.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Nice work! I'm glad you did it too.

I'm curious though, what did you use? I'd use a band saw, then file. But thats just me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts