Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying my first leather holster.

What I'm wondering is does leather (both IWB or OWB) have retention like a kydex holster does? If you end up crouching down or upside down or whatever, is it likely that the gun is going to fall out of the holster?

Do you get that "click" or "snap" that kydex provides?

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
No click or snap my leather holster are molded to my specific pistol.
Fit snug but easy to draw. Will not drop out if upside down or shaken lightly. The inside of the holster is rough enough to offer some friction.
Some also are made with a retention strap usually a strip of leather with a snap . Usually for more strenuous activity.
I only own leather. My holsters to me are a thing of pride and beauty. They have a soul that kydex doesn’t. As a plain tool kydex is great. I know many who have and like the function.
My pistols and holsters are works of art to me. Call me crazy I guess

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
Typically leather holsters are custom fit for specific models. Most come "tight" and require some stretching of the leather to allow easier draw and re-holstering while still retaining sufficient friction to keep the pistol from coming out in all but maybe the most extreme conditions. Some can also be ordered with a thumb strap with snap for extra retention. If the gun simply slides out of a holster by holding it upside down, it is a poor fit and not a good idea to use it for carry.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I suppose someone will come out with that feature some day, but so far, leather is silent. The leather molds itself to closely to the gun and natural friction holds the weapon in place. Some also come with a strap to hold the gun in place, so you could get a "snap" when you snap the strap down.

·
Registered
734 Posts
A good leather holster will be form fitted to your particular gun and have great retention. Stick it in turn it upside down over your bed, couch etc and shake it. If it stays put your holster is probably pretty good. If it falls out then it is either worn down or was a piece of junk to begin with.

·
Registered
36,074 Posts
No click or snap my leather holster are molded to my specific pistol.
Fit snug but easy to draw. Will not drop out if upside down or shaken lightly.
I cannot remember the last time I was held upside down and shaken lightly. The Boss still does it on occasion, but she doesn't shake me lightly. --far from it.

Kydex is noisy. There no two ways around it except to have lined Kydex, and that stuff is pricey. I have molded and unmolded leather holsters, and both do the job needed--hold my gun in place until drawn.

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts

What I'm wondering is does leather (both IWB or OWB) have retention like a kydex holster does? If you end up crouching down or upside down or whatever, is it likely that the gun is going to fall out of the holster?

Most off the shelf leather holsters don't have the best retention but most good custom made leather holster for have a fair amount and the gun will not fall out of those.
If you go with leather get a good one.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Also note that you can stretch a good, well formed, leather holster out too much and then it will not retain the gun as it was designed to do. You can also loosen the retention screw on a good Kydex holster too much and the gun will fall out. And sometimes that Kydex holster will still "click" even when it won't retain the gun when you turn the holster upside down and gently shake it.

Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Registered
275 Posts
Most of my leather holsters are horsehide from Kramer. They are moulded to fit the gun, there is no click, but they are held securely.

Oh, if you have a Kramer holster, don't leave it where the dog can get to it. . . don't ask me how I learned that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the quick replies! Think I found some I'm interested in, and I believe, based on what I can gather on this site, are good, high-quality, holster makers. Sideguard, Ryan Grizzle, Mitch Rosen, Lobo, UBG, Milt Sparks, Wild Bill, ETW, Nelson all on the shopping list.

Glad to hear they stay pretty snug. Don't necessarily need a click, just more wanting to be sure that the guns don't easily fall out if the holster is upside-down, etc.

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies! Think I found some I'm interested in, and I believe, based on what I can gather on this site, are good, high-quality, holster makers. Sideguard, Ryan Grizzle, Mitch Rosen, Lobo, UBG, Milt Sparks, Wild Bill, ETW, Nelson all on the shopping list.

Glad to hear they stay pretty snug. Don't necessarily need a click, just more wanting to be sure that the guns don't easily fall out if the holster is upside-down, etc.
Well if you was to get one of my holsters you will probably cuss me for the first 2 weeks until it's broken in.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Well if you was to get one of my holsters you will probably cuss me for the first 2 weeks until it's broken in.

They're not THAT tight, James! A couple nights wrapped in a (quart size) plastic freezer bag usually does it for me. In extreme cases, you might need a double layer of baggie, but then you can't get the gun into the holster can you?

·
Premium Member
34,132 Posts
The kydex click on molded holsters is a result of flexing at the pressure point, usually at the trigger guard which occurs when the gun is holstered. Leather lacks the rigidity of kydex, so it doesn't pop.

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
They're not THAT tight, James! A couple nights wrapped in a (quart size) plastic freezer bag usually does it for me. In extreme cases, you might need a double layer of baggie, but then you can't get the gun into the holster can you?
I hate breaking in a new holster and I have been guilty of using 2 bags at once before yo speed it up but you better be careful as 2 bags may make it to loose.
Well it's good to know that you didn't cuss me lol

·
Administrator
143,575 Posts
Give NelsonHolsters a try.
He has only ever made 2 or 3 holsters and he could use the practice working with leather.
🤣 ;)

Actually....he does some of the finest leather holster work on Planet Earth & that probably includes all of the other heavenly bodies in our solar system. Of course we really dont know who is doing exactly what on Neptune or Saturn. LOL

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
Give NelsonHolsters a try.
He has only ever made 2 or 3 holsters and he could use the practice working with leather.
;)

Actually....he does some of the finest leather holster work on Planet Earth & that probably includes all of the other heavenly bodies in our solar system. Of course we really dont know who is doing exactly what on Neptune or Saturn. LOL
I thank you for the kind words and I just got a order for number 6 and 7 holsters and I do believe that it was a caller from Neptune.

·
Registered
293 Posts
To piggyback on this discussion. Is anyone making a leather OWB or IWB leather holster for a firearm with a light attached? Last I checked it appeared none did so all of mine are Kydex.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

One of the vendors that I see advertised on the Book of Faces advertises that. Looks like some sort of trigger guard area insert on a belt slide type holster. I'll edit it in if I remember it. This vendors other products do not give me confidence -- generic fit, look very soft.

----edit to add----

Urban Carry Lockleather

·
Super Moderator
16,784 Posts
All of my holsters are leather and I have never had any problem with retention even while climbing all over the airplane doing the exterior pre-flight and that was while carrying a revolver.

Reactions: ShooterGranny
1 - 20 of 27 Posts