Defensive Carry banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
To piggyback on this discussion. Is anyone making a leather OWB or IWB leather holster for a firearm with a light attached? Last I checked it appeared none did so all of mine are Kydex.
Well yes I have been doing that for a while, do alot for the SBI

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well if you was to get one of my holsters you will probably cuss me for the first 2 weeks until it's broken in.

You are on the list as well! AIWB has my eye, though I don't plan to carry appendix, but I do like the low profile of the offset clip and the neoprene backing sounds nice as I don't care for undershirts. May be in touch!

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
You are on the list as well! AIWB has my eye, though I don't plan to carry appendix, but I do like the low profile of the offset clip and the neoprene backing sounds nice as I don't care for undershirts. May be in touch!
Yell at me anytime

·
Banned
52 Posts
Thinking about buying my first leather holster.

What I'm wondering is does leather (both IWB or OWB) have retention like a kydex holster does? If you end up crouching down or upside down or whatever, is it likely that the gun is going to fall out of the holster?

Do you get that "click" or "snap" that kydex provides?
Yes .. there are holsters call LockLeather .. from UrbanCarryHolster
Check it out :

LockLeather OWB Holster

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just a note, whether or not it clicks into place has more to do with the maker in this case than kydex vs. leather so to speak. So most of my rigs do click, not the same as kydex but close. It has to do with how you're doing your forming, what hide you're using as well as how you are post processing the leather.

There is a large disparity of ways to work with leather, thus a leather holster from one maker will vary quite a bit from another. Same is true with kydex but in that case it has more to do with the tooling it's made on then the process itself. With leather the process is key to changing how it functions for better or worse. There are a ton of things you can do to the leather that will also severely shorten it's service life, it's a very tricky art of sorts to settle into.

But main point yes it's possible, yes some people do it. Is it necessary? Not really, as stated most people aren't that active to require that additional retention, but it can be nice and I tend to prefer it. Somewhere I had a video showing a finished rig with audio to hear the gun click into place etc. But it's long gone now years later.

Take care!

Luke

21 - 27 of 27 Posts