Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 guns on my wish-list and then my life is complete.
One is a 1911 and I think that maybe the ultimate for the features I seek, etc. is the Ed Brown Executive Carry. Not that it's gonna happen today, but there is that Wish List.
With that, two questions -
1. Is there a production gun that checks all the same boxes?
2. If an expensive 1911 does make sense is there one that's maybe more highly recommended than the Ed Brown Executive Carry (for carry, traditional, etc.)?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a very hard time justifying the purchase of my Wilson Combat Professional many years ago, but it's always been my favorite pistol of my whole collection. It's a dream to shoot and has been 100% reliable since day one. There are a lot of nice factory 1911's that cost much less $$$, but if you ever handle and shoot a nice custom, your will be hooked for life. Ed Brown makes a fine 1911 for sure. I can assure you that if a custom fits into your budget you will be very pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You know, I really don't know. I have a hard time carrying a couple of my best and most handsome guns (Kimber UltraCarry and P938 Equinox) because I don't want them to get marred up...that's why I keep buying Glocks and just yesterday a shield 40. They aren't pretty guns, and I'm more likely to carry them. But, hey, if you've got the dough, and will use it, more power to you.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Like any "is it worth it" question this really is an extremely subjective issue.

Only you can know IF it's worth it to you.

Same goes for any item that gains value over the basic "function" by some level of enhancement whether that's some level of mechanical refinement or artistic embellishment.

For instance I own a couple Les Baer's, one's a "Stinger" model (CCO) which I carried for about 6 years. It is extremely accurate, and reliable, but it didn't do anything substantially better than a standard SA or Colt CCO would do. To me the extra cost (about $900 or so) was worth it for some extra refinement; trigger, accuracy, hand fitting etc. For someone looking to cover the basic function of launching a bullet with a reasonable amount of accuracy, not so much.

BTW at just shy of 2K I carried mine, and even tossed it in a pond to prove a point about tight fitted 1911s and reliability:

One thing I have learned is that one of the keys to happiness is to never try to figure out why other people do what they do with their discretionary income. It's just going to make your head hurt sometimes, and really isn't worth the effort.

Chuck

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I still have my youngest in college.....no expensive stuff for a while. Polymer is my friend....:smile:

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Dan Wesson is as close as you will get out of a production 1911.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
If you want a 1911 that costs in the stratosphere, I'm behind you. Me! I'll stick with my Tuperware. Striker firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I have paid more for "semi-custom" pistols than I thought was, at the time, prudent. But it's funny that, in the long run, those aren't the pistols I decided weren't "worth the money". It's the value-priced pistols that I eventually decided to sell and/or trade! :blink:

When's the last time you were disappointed that you spent the money...for quality? :biggrin2:

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
If you want a 1911 that costs in the stratosphere, I'm behind you. Me! I'll stick with my Tuperware. Striker firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not both?

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I guess there is also a pride of ownership to be considered.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Its not custom, but look at any of the Colts. I own 7 and would not get rid of them. You can buy a basic gun and have them worked on as you are able. Can they be as good as a custom? I'd bet my life on it and I do when I carry them.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I can't really answer that question. For one thing, I've never owned a semi-custom 1911 such as an Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. Having never owned one, I really don't know what I'm missing - I can just speculate. For now, I'm content with a Dan Wesson and a few others production 1911's. Someday, though, I just might own a semi-custom. It's definitely something I've thought about.

And for another thing, as Chuck R. already mentioned, "value" is such a personal, relative thing. If you can afford it, and you want it, then it's "worth it" to you. And that's really all that matters.

·
Registered
21,580 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Dan Wesson is as close as you will get out of a production 1911.
Agreed . . . I've had my stainless, Valor that I will never part with for about a year and a half. The quality is exceptional for a production gun. Fit and finish is beautiful as well. And its shoots POA/POI with not one malfunction to date. Can't beat it for the money.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
No, there is no justification for the $3k+ price tag on the Ed Browns. If you want to spend the $$ on it, then go right ahead. There is nothing wrong with that gun.

Les Baer is a beautifully made gun. I'll own one one day. I've drooled over one and have seen lots of pr put out by him on his production and training of his smiths. The reputation precedes the name. That is my dream 1911.

Next on the list is Dan Wesson. Someone can try to explain why this gun is not up to par, but I believe DW makes the best 1911 in that market and will stand up to pistols twice the price.
CZ-USA DW Commander Classic Bobtail - CZ-USA

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
No, there is no justification for the $3k+ price tag on the Ed Browns. If you want to spend the $$ on it, then go right ahead. There is nothing wrong with that gun.

Les Baer is a beautifully made gun. I'll own one one day. I've drooled over one and have seen lots of pr put out by him on his production and training of his smiths. The reputation precedes the name. That is my dream 1911.

Next on the list is Dan Wesson. Someone can try to explain why this gun is not up to par, but I believe DW makes the best 1911 in that market and will stand up to pistols twice the price.
CZ-USA DW Commander Classic Bobtail - CZ-USA
Absolutely agree about the Dan Wesson.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts