Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the question is, what actually defines a weapon as an assault weapon?

The definition as us pro-gunners see it, may be merely 'protective' thinking. E.g. I think most of us pro-gunners consider an assault weapon to be solely defined by it's full auto capability. We generally do not consider a semi-auto AR/AK an assault rifle. We probably cling to that thinking so that we can claim our ARs and AKs are not assault weapons. But why aren't they assault weapons? PDs and SWAT use semi-auto ARs in an assault modes.

Is the difference really just semi-auto versus selective fire? What about all the other things that are common, magazines, ammo, capacity, design. AR/AKs even look like assault rifles. Everything is the same except selective fire.

So is selective fire the sole defining factor?

Is there a decisive, non-politically driven definition of assault rifle?

The common definitions for assault rifle/weapon come from the pro-gunners and anti-gunners - who is really right and why?

Registered
I think the Izhmash manual that came with my Arsenal SGL21 said "hunting" or "sporting" carbine. It don't recall it saying anything about an AK47 or assault rifle. Just like my AR isn't a M4 and doesn't claim to be.

However, they're obviously battle type rifles with clear lineage to their full auto cousins and I won't apologize for it. They're fun to shoot and, hold on to your hat, they're effective tools to protect yourself, family etc. And "effective tool" in the defensive firearm world means being more effective at putting more humans out of commission (wound/kill) quicker than other types of firearms. It's alright to buy guns that are designed to kill people (for now). That's how you defend yourself.

It's seems strange that the right to protect your life and property is widely accepted but your ability to do so is so limited and is in danger of getting worse.

Registered
I'm not sure about the actual definition of assault weapon. When I hear that said, it's usually by anti gun politicians and media.
In this case, it seem like it's being used more like a marketing tool, as apposed to an actual name.

Registered
So the question is, what actually defines a weapon as an assault weapon?

The definition as us pro-gunners see it, may be merely 'protective' thinking. E.g. I think most of us pro-gunners consider an assault weapon to be solely defined by it's full auto capability. We generally do not consider a semi-auto AR/AK an assault rifle. We probably cling to that thinking so that we can claim our ARs and AKs are not assault weapons. But why aren't they assault weapons? PDs and SWAT use semi-auto ARs in an assault modes.

Is the difference really just semi-auto versus selective fire? What about all the other things that are common, magazines, ammo, capacity, design. AR/AKs even look like assault rifles. Everything is the same except selective fire.

So is selective fire the sole defining factor?

Is there a decisive, non-politically driven definition of assault rifle?

The common definitions for assault rifle/weapon come from the pro-gunners and anti-gunners - who is really right and why?
I don't plan on using mine to ever assault anyone, but you can be damn sure I'd use it to defend me and mine.

So, mine is a defense rifle.

As far as the squirrels are concerned, my 10/22 is an assault weapon!

Registered
It was never described as an assault weapon while I was in the Marines.

It was described as a lightweight, shoulder fired, magazine fed, air cooled rifle capable of both semi auto, or 3 round burst fire.
3 round burst was discouraged, unless the goal was to obtain fire superiority over the enemy.

But I never remember it being called an " assault weapon".

Reactions: mulle46

Registered
Any weapon can be considered an "assault" weapon once it is used to assault people. Although the term "assault rifle" comes from the brady campaign dictionary and means any firearm possesed by a non-military/LEO/celebrity/private bodyguard civilian.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't plan on using mine to ever assault anyone, but you can be damn sure I'd use it to defend me and mine.

So, mine is a defense rifle.

As far as the squirrels are concerned, my 10/22 is an assault weapon!
I hear ya!

However, in Magpul's outstanding video series, "The Art of the Dynamic Carbine", Chris Costa makes it very clear that when we are defending ourselves with a firearm, it is an assault on the person threatening our life.

Another example, is if a military unit is 'dug in' and in a defensive mode trying to repel an attacking enemy, are their assault rifles no longer assault rifles because they are being used in a defensive application?

Super Moderator
Seems the term "assault rifle " is a political term conveniently used to scare citizens. As far as semi or full auto weapons with military history and use , (or similar to mil spec weapons )are proven useful in defensive or offensive campaigns.

Reactions: nedrgr21 and joker1

Registered
鈥淎ssault Weapon鈥 is a made up term by politicians and the media to frighten the uniformed. Hell a common kitchen knife can be used to assault someone, a hammer, a golf club really anything. An item becomes an assault weapon when it is used to assault someone.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems the term "assault rifle " is a political term conveniently used to scare citizens. As far as semi or full auto weapons with military history and use , (or similar to mil spec weapons )are proven useful in defensive or offensive campaigns.
I agree.

My point is that we need to be sure we know the implications of the term assault weapon, it's origin, it's use or better misuse.

Rather than accept the term and try to explain why our AR/AK is not an assault weapon, I think it would be better to explain the term is a term made up by anti-gunners for political and agenda reasons.

Super Moderator
For me, "assault rifle" is still defined as originally coined by the German's "Sturmgewehr" or Storm Rifle, to storm/assault the enemy. The weapon itself is a select-fire carbine/rifle firing an intermiate cartridge.

Any object can be used by one person to assault another.

Registered
OD has it.

There is no such thing as an "assault weapon".

The term "assault rifle" comes from the German "Sturmgewehr" which directly translates to "storm rifle", and quickly turned into the "assault rifle" terminology among the Allied powers during WW2. It was terminology applied to a new type of firearm that was designed to bridge the gap between submachine gun and rifle, the StG44. It was a shoulder-fired weapon which used an intermediate cartridge and was capable of select fire. This is still the requirement for a firearm to be designated an "assault rifle", though that terminology is being used less and less these days except by anti-gunners who don't know any better.

Registered
However, in Magpul's outstanding video series, "The Art of the Dynamic Carbine", Chris Costa makes it very clear that when we are defending ourselves with a firearm, it is an assault on the person threatening our life.
Yes, you can use a rifle to assault your enemy. You can also use your handgun to assault somebody. But using an item to assault someone does not make it an assault item. A rifle is not an "assault rifle" because it can be used to assault somebody. It's just a rifle that can be used to assault somebody.

Also, Chris Costa made it clear that using a firearm against an enemy would be an assault on that person - he did NOT say that the "dynamic" or "tactical" carbine is an "assault rifle" because you can be assaulting your enemy while engaging them with a rifle.

Registered
United States Defense Department鈥檚 DIA - Defines Assault Rifles/Weapons

As the United States Defense Department鈥檚 Defense Intelligence Agency book Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide explains, 鈥渁ssault rifles鈥 are 鈥渟hort, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges.鈥 In other words, assault rifles are battlefield rifles which can fire automatically.

Weapons capable of fully automatic fire, including assault rifles, have been regulated heavily in the United States since the National Firearms Act of 1934. Taking possession of such weapons requires paying a $200 federal transfer tax and submitting to an FBI background check, including ten-print fingerprints.

Many civilians have purchased semiautomatic-only rifles that look like military assault rifles. These civilian rifles are, unlike actual assault rifles, incapable of automatic fire.

Lets reinerate; UNLESS YOU PAY THE $200.00 TAX STAMP TO BATF AND GO THROUGH THE BACK GROUND CHECK YOU CAN'T BUY AN ASSAULT RIFLE, i.e, rifle with selective fire! :aargh4:

You can however purchase a "Modern Sporting Rifle" which has an similar appearance to the AR-15 (M-4) or the AK!

Reactions: Kilowatt3

Premium Member
...Lets reinerate; UNLESS YOU PAY THE $200.00 TAX STAMP TO BATF AND GO THROUGH THE BACK GROUND CHECK YOU CAN'T BUY AN ASSAULT RIFLE, i.e, rifle with selective fire! :aargh4:

You can however purchase a "Modern Sporting Rifle" which has an similar appearance to the AR-15 (M-4) or the AK!
Correction: UNLESS YOU PAY THE $200.00 TAX STAMP TO BATF AND GO THROUGH THE BACK GROUND CHECK YOU CAN'T LEGALLY BUY AN ASSAULT RIFLE, i.e, rifle with selective fire!

Registered
Do we really have a definition of 'assault weapon'?
My understanding of the term is that it's from WWII (from the German) that specifically refers to a fully-automatic, higher-caliber rifle.

As for the contemporary, politically-charged euphemism: it's a fabrication, pure and simple, designed for helping to motivate a sleeping citizenry to action, so that the liberty-haters can ban and control what they want.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts