Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had one IWB holster so far and it isn't that comfortable with waistbands that were not what I'd call loose. On looser waistbands I felt I needed to snug up the belt so the holster didn't feel like it was drooping.

What do most of you do? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Buy pants with a little room in the waist that I can wear with or without carrying IWB. Like TelumPices, I can wear a 31 or 32 so I buy 32.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
For comfort you're probably going to want to up a size or two depending on what you're carrying and how tight you normally wear pants without carrying in the first place. I would also recommend that you invest in a good "gun belt." That is, usually of thicker construction made specifically for carrying a gun. A good gun belt will make a world of difference.

Reactions: IndianaSig

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
For comfort you're probably going to want to up a size or two depending on what you're carrying and how tight you normally wear pants without carrying in the first place. I would also recommend that you invest in a good "gun belt." That is, usually of thicker construction made specifically for carrying a gun. A good gun belt will make a world of difference.
^^^ This ^^^

& use this as an opportunity to go on a diet, so you won't have to upsize your clothes. :danceban:

Seriously, a good gun belt will go a long way toward handling the sagging belt issue.

·
Banned
732 Posts
This. Buy pants that are 1 size too big (if you are a 32, buy a 34) and invest in a good gun belt. There is no such thing as buying such a belt at a retail store. You'll need to buy it from one of the gun belt makers on the Net. My recommendation: Armour Belts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use my IWB carry becoming tight as motivation to keep up my exercise routine Unfortunately it does seem to be a reoccurring dilemma. :blink:

Stay safe,

Keyth

P.S. I wear the same size pants irrespective of carry method.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depends on the clothing brand and your holster/EDC. I went and bought size up pants when I first started CC and for some shorts/pants it was helpful. However, for others it was a waste of money and my regular sized pants/shorts felt just better.

My suggestion: definitely try them on at the store with your EDC...or keep your receipts to return/exchange after you get home and find you didn't need to go a size up.

Course, if you are going to EDC anything bigger than a 1911 (desert eagle, S&W .500, etc.) then I'd automatically go up at least one pants size! :gah:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Since starting to carry, I have always purchased pants with a +1 size, a suitable cut to the pants to allow the range of movement that IWB demands above and beyond just walking/sitting, and generally with a suitably stretchy material (ie, 1-2% spandex along with the wool/cotton/poly blend) to allow for no binding. Has worked fairly well, for me.

Though, the downside if a stretchier material and a somewhat looser waistband is the need for a more-solid belt. But it affords the extra room and range of motion I've found that IWB required. Pros/cons.

Example: Haggar Cool 18 slacks -- polyester/stretch blend material; a mildly-roomier (not relaxed) cut around hips/thighs; and a stretch waistband. There are various type of wool/stretch blend fabrics out there, as well.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...I don't size up...and I carry a full-sized (and clunky) .45 and an SP101 and a mag in pouch all AIWB comfortably...it's a matter of how loose or how tight a body likes their britches...

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
I've only had one IWB holster so far and it isn't that comfortable with waistbands that were not what I'd call loose. On looser waistbands I felt I needed to snug up the belt so the holster didn't feel like it was drooping.

What do most of you do? Thanks
Depending on the pants I'm wearing, brands/materials/styles differ. Wear what's comfortable.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I dont size up. I have a stiff gun belt also. I wear 38 though I can go up to a 40 but I dont unless somebody just gives a pair of 40 waist. Then ill keep em and wear em :tongue:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think this varies according to body type and personal preference. Most CCWers seem to size up, I do not. I do wear my belt a notch looser when carrying though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Body type definitely comes into play. I carry IWB a large percentage of the time. I bought a couple pairs of Wrangler's in my normal waist size with hidden elastic waist band & a stiff gun belt. The elastic allows just enough room for my gun, a Glock 26 with an Ohio Special holster. I'm a big guy & wear a size 40 so this method might not work well for a smaller guy. Good luck in your search. Don't get frustrated. It took me a bit of trial & error to find what works for me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't upsize. Have never felt the need to. I use a leather slide holster with a leather belt. Its not a gun belt. Never felt the need for one of those either. I think the belt is fossil brand. Belt is usually worn one notch loose.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't upsize either. I carry aiwb and there always seems to be room, even for a 1911, w/o loosening my belt. It all depends on your body type and how snugly you wear your clothes. Remember when you upsize it isn't only the waist that is bigger. Your pants will hang and fit differently.

No wrong answer. Just do what works for you.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts