Defensive Carry banner

Would you "announce" to a threat, or show, that you have a gun?

• Yes, I would put my hand where my gun is, or sweep my cover garment.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Yes, I would draw and brandish the firearm.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Yes, I would say "I have a gun, back off" without displaying the firearm.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Yes, I would say "I have a gun" and display the weapon.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No, I will not display the weapon or announce unless I am going to shoot.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • It depends...

Votes: 49 49.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.0%

• Total voters
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
The fact that I know and understand the term "affirmative defense" should be your clue that I was writing rhetorically.

And about "announce, or just shoot," I reiterate that every instance is (and will be) different.
There will be situations which require announcement, and situations which require you to shoot first.

·
Banned
705 Posts
I think the more difficult question is if you are going to announce before you shoot (eg. bad guy has gun on cashier, and you draw to protect him unbeknownst to the bad guy. Do you shoot straight away, or do you announce you have a gun trained on him first to give him a chance to surrender?) You have to live with it if you shoot straight away killing the perp, although the odds of you being killed go up tremendously if you announce "freeze", etc.
1. The last time I looked it up, the the statistic that the FBI put out was something like 2 out of 1000 armed robberies actually end with the robbers shooting the victim. So the odds are astronomically in your favor that if you do nothing the robber is going to walk out of there with the 30 or $40 in the till and that's going to be the end of it.

2. Action beats reaction every time. If you warn the robber you're going to shoot all you're doing is giving him a chance to respond.

·
Registered
283 Posts
1. The last time I looked it up, the the statistic that the FBI put out was something like 2 out of 1000 armed robberies actually end with the robbers shooting the victim. So the odds are astronomically in your favor that if you do nothing the robber is going to walk out of there with the 30 or $40 in the till and that's going to be the end of it.
I think the stats may be higher than this, if I remember correctly. I had a hard time finding what percentage of armed robberies end with shots fired or secondly victims being actually shot, but I did find this quote from a 2003 DOJ report ( https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/wuvc01.txt ):

"For 1993-2001 about a quarter of violent crimes overall
resulted in an injury to the victim. Crimes committed
with weapons and crimes committed without weapons were
about equally likely to result in victim injury (26%).
Crimes committed with weapons, however, were about 3.5
times as likely to result in serious injury as crimes
committed by unarmed offenders (7% versus 2%,
respectively)."

The number I seem to recall is that twenty some percent of armed robberies (armed with gun) end in shots being fired. The above quote is similar to that, and the rate of serious injury to the victim is about 7% in an armed robbery, so either stat being substantially more than .2% (although they may be measuring different things...being shot vs 'serious injury'). Regardless, a 7% incidence of serious injury is not an inconsequential number.

However, I do think there's merit to your post. My plan in such a situation would be, do nothing if the crime is going smoothly and the perp seems to have his act together. If the perp is losing his temper or acting erratically, my guess is the likelihood of violence occurring is unacceptable to ignore and I would take the take a shot to protect the clerk if it were presented to me, especially if I had moderate cover/concealment. You do open Pandora's Box when initiating a gun fight, no doubt, so the bar needs to be high in taking that course of action. You just don't know how it will end, and hopefully one would have a relatively easy shot to make before taking it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
...My plan in such a situation would be, do nothing if the crime is going smoothly and the perp seems to have his act together. If the perp is losing his temper or acting erratically, my guess is the likelihood of violence occurring is unacceptable to ignore and I would take the take a shot to protect the clerk if it were presented to me, especially if I had moderate cover/concealment...
...And get down low, so you're shooting upwards.
That way, if your bullet goes all the way through, you'll hit only the holdup perp.
And if you're close enough, go for the head, neck, and upper chest. Head-and-neck are really good stoppers, according to old police friends.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
...And get down low, so you're shooting upwards.
That way, if your bullet goes all the way through, you'll hit only the holdup perp.
That's good advice, particularly because of the large number of misses. As much as we all try to be precise, stats are pretty clear a lot of bullets go whizzing past the intended target.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts

2. Action beats reaction every time. If you warn the robber you're going to shoot all you're doing is giving him a chance to respond.
I wasn't trained to depend on those odds or let myself be a victim. That's a victim mentality.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Many years ago, I took Karate lessons and the Instructor actually covered this type of question. He said that if you were ever in a developing situation, you should be alert for any type of weapon to use that may help...a good stick, rock, bottle or, your belt with a good buckle...anything you think you could use. Now, he said, if you announce to your assailant(s) that you are trained in Martial Arts, 2 things are going to go through their heads. 1) This guy’s full of crap and, 2) This guy might have some training. Then, your attackers are going to either produce a weapon they didn’t previously believe they’d need or, they are going to start looking around for something to use...a good stick, rock, bottle, belt.....Bottom line was Do Not Announce It.
Now, I have had to draw mine before. Thankfully, that was enough to defuse the situation(s) without having to bring the weapon online or fire.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Long story short; lying about having a gun in my purse as a teen kept me from getting raped. He got scared and believed me then reluctantly let me get out of the vehicle.

I hate lying but believe God will let me slide on that one.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I would do whatever I had to do according to the situation. More than likely I would not expose the gun until I needed to use it. Don't see any reason to let somebody know that I am armed until they need to know. I don't see how telling somebody that you are armed could be to your advantage if you were in real danger.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts