Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's no arguing that the bullet is what gets the job done. My question is this.... Do you guys shop for the "bullet" as opposed to the manufacturer of the load? Example, say you like the XTP bullet. Will you only buy it in the Hornady Custom loading, or would you also buy the Fiocchi loading because it uses the same XTP bullet? Same thing with a Gold Dot, would you limit yourself to only Speer manufactured loads or would you also buy the Black Hills that uses the same Gold Dot bullet? This all assumes we're comparing same bullet weights, +p to +p, etc.

I'm not shopping for ammo or wondering what you think the best is. I'm wondering what people think of the same bullet loaded by different manufacturers, and whether you consider them with equal regard.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,562 Posts
I buy for performance of which bullet design is a part. That is if I don't just make it myself.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I do differentiate between range ammo and personal defense ammo. I will do the bulk of my shooting with, say, a 158 grain lead round nose or wadcutter, then finish off with the premium +P hollow points in the same grain. With range ammo I guess I'm looking for the best price but for self defense I'm looking for the best quality/performance.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I buy cheap stuff for the brass.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I buy brand names that most would agree to be quality ammo, but more importantly...what my gun eagerly eats.:ticking:

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I buy for the bullet and it's velocity. If we are talking identical bullets within an advertised 20fps of each other it then becomes price.
Having fired Black Hills ammo competitively and with their history with the military the bullet manufacturer is going to have to be offering me something pretty special to get me to buy their product instead of Black Hills!

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I buy for performance of which bullet design is a part. That is if I don't just make it myself.
Howdy Mr. bmcgilvray. :wave:

I've missed your intelligence around here. I concur with your assessment of the situation.

Biker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts