Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading Massad Ayoob's The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry.

He suggests that you carry a back-up gun on your weak side - incase of injury to your main arm.

My main carry is a XD 45 tactical on my right side.

For ease of bullet purchasing my initial thought was a 45 revolver. On second thought, if I am forced to use my left arm i worry that the 45 is to much for my weak arm.

Questions are:
1) do you carry a backup?
2) What do you carry - how does it compare to your primary
3) Where do you carry?

Thanks,
W

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Most ppl have a smaller gun of some kind, and more often than not it is a smaller caliber as well. Maybe look at a J-frame in .38 +p, or a small auto in .380, or 9mm. Like a Kel-tec or Kahr.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Kel-Tec P32 in left front pocket. As much as I hope I never need my primary, I really hope I never need the mousegun.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I carry a Seecamp 32 in my left pocket. I also carry a Benchmade Kulgera as my EDC knife. I'll probably add an Emerson soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't remember but it may have been ayoob who question whether in an event that things got so bad you needed a second gun do you really want that gun to be smaller caliber than what wasn't enough in the first place? I carry my 9mm tucked IWB and my .380 in my front pocket, both strong side. I see it as my .380 is primary because I can draw faster. I can stand there with the grip in hand waiting to draw if need be.
In the less likely situation where the SHTF and I need more rounds and a larger caliber I can pull my shirt and bring out the 9. If that's not enough then I guess I'm just SOL

·
Registered
602 Posts
Maybe I should.......... but I don't always. In addition to my carry gun I always have a truck gun hidden away.....

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't remember but it may have been ayoob who question whether in an event that things got so bad you needed a second gun do you really want that gun to be smaller caliber than what wasn't enough in the first place?L
That is a fantastic point!

I don't carry a backup - I feel that one carry, combined with condition yellow is good reasonable planning ahead. CC is a compromise and I think that one is appropriate for my situation... but you've got me thinking now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't carry one--yet.

What I would like is a compact .45 I could carry in an ankle holster on my weak side. No idea where to start though...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Not yet but things change fast these days, I just might soon.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I switch between a few primary CCWs, all carried strong side, but I always have a Kel Tec P32 in my weak side rear pocket. Keep it in a wallet holster I bought on D.C.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Do you carry a backup?
On occasion, but seldom. Heck....after coming to this forum, I'm still doing good half the time to carry a spare magazine much less a second pistol. But I have. How important do I think carrying a backup should be? For a uniformed officer I think it's a wise thing to do. For me as Joe carrier......it may be smart, but what are the odds? I mean if I lived in some other metropolitan area where the need seems fit, I'd probably think more of it than I do now. I just haven't made carrying a back up one of my priorities because of what I would normally expect in my area. Maybe that's thinking wrong because we really never know and shouldn't rely on statistics. But over all, that's my take on it and why I don't normally carry a BUG.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I carry a second gun. I've always disliked the term "back up", as it implies using only after using another gun.
My second gun is usually a gun carried on my ankle, in most cases, a 442. This gun is easily reached in a seated position, either while driving, dining, etc. So, in all reality, it may be accessed before my waist carried, or "primary" gun, simply due to the fact I may be seated. Especially when driving, drawing is made quicker and easier by placing the trouser cuff between the grip and my leg. When exiting the vehicle, the pants leg is draped back over the gun.
While I carry most all the time outside of work, my wife rarely carries, although she is proficient with a handgun. If she is not carrying at a moment that firearms are needed by us, and if I'm far enough ahead of the curve, I can quickly arm her with the larger, easier to shoot primary pistol, and then arm myself with the 442. Or, let's say we stop at a quickie mart, and she remains in the car w the kids, I can quickly arm her and still have a gun after leaving the vehicle. Then there's always the most popular reason to have a second gun: the first one is rendered inoperable for whatever reason.
I also advocate a second gun carried in a front pants pocket. This allows one to index the gun well ahead of needing it, without telegraphing one's intentions as you would when sweeping a cover garment. I do not wish to be in a position of needing to win a 'quick draw' competition against someone looking to hurt me, so I would just as soon have the gun in hand then by trying to draw from 'behind the curve'.

dan

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't got my CPL yet but I may do a secondary ruger LCP in my back pocket or on my ankle.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Well...wallet, 2 sets of keys, flashlight, pistol, spare mag, cell phone, knife, Quik-clot dressing - and the need to be discreet.

No, no BUG for me. I have the knife, and a can of pepper spray in my briefcase when I'm working.

Adding another gun would make it just about impossible to be discreet.

I'm just about clanking as it is!:tongue:

1 - 20 of 120 Posts