Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually have extra magazines loaded nearby but have never carried an extra magazine on my belt like some people do.

I have two questions. Do you carry extra ammunition on you? Second is how do you carry it (what carrier and at what position)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
i carry two mags, sometimes they are on my belt, sometimes in my cargo pockets. the royal robbins pants i just got have neat back pockets that work great.

i dont carry spare mags for the sole reason that i expect to need more than 9 rounds. rather its a greater chance there will be a mag malfunction.

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
I guess I am like you, Ridgerunner, I don\'t normally carry extra mags unless I am going to the range. If I could find a really nifty whizbang way to carry them unobtrusively I probably would. Like spacemanspiff I do sometimes stuff them in a pocket.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I rarely carry without an extra magazine. If carrying in my shoulder holster I have one spare mag on the strong side attached to the shoulder rig.

When I carry on the waistband I have a \"spare mag\" holster that locates the magazine on top of the gun.

Occasionally in the summer I carry a P32 and don\'t carry an extra mag.

I have a dual mag holder that attaches to my belt. I can wear it also but rarely do.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Friend and I were talking about this very topic. The FBI National Criminal Database showed that there is a growing trend in major metropolis'that there is more than one assailant 83% of the time. That being said. My friend and I are looking to carry at least one spare mag. Granted I can call myshots out to 25 yds with not a single problem, but when the adrenaline starts to pumping, I am not sure if my shot placement will be as precsie and surgical.

I figure better to be safe and err on the side of added weight than come up shy after the first mag. But than again 15rds in the P14 does help.

~A

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by APachon
Granted I can call myshots out to 25 yds with not a single problem, but when the adrenaline starts to pumping, I am not sure if my shot placement will be as precsie and surgical.
Your shot placement would most likely not be where you want it, but the more you train the more it will be in an effective area. Not saying anything about you personally, adrenaline will do some heady things to you as a shooter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I carry my 3\" Kimber Ultra Carry then I usually have two spare mags on my side. If I carry my S&W 386PD then I carry one spare 7 round 357 mag speed loader. If I carry my S&W 360PD in a front pocket I have one speed strip with five 145 gr. Winchester Silvertip .357 mags. I just started to carry my FN 5.7x28 for the winter and may not carry a spare mag since it holds 20 rounds.

MadDog :lol:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Spare mag weak side in Uncle Mikes Unversal knife.mag pouch. That being a Clintonised 10 rounder, gives me 25 doses of felon repellant.:)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Spare mag in Brommeland mag/flash weakside. Not for extended firefights, but quickest, surest way to clear a malfunction. I dont call it a spare mag, so much as a secondary mag (primary has failed).

Dan

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I will carry extra ammo on-body sometimes. If I\'m carrying my USPc, I might tote a mag in the mag slot in my bellyband. If it\'s the 640 or Cobra, maybe a speedloader in the mag slot, or a speed strip in the pocket. Most of the time I just keep a speed strip in my purse.

I have a second gun as my reload. :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Kahrman, no offense taken, your post read as sincere advice.

I am pretty damn sure when the adrenaline does get pumping that i will be shooting like an epileptic monkey with tourette\'s after having ingested a few speed pills firing a mac-10. Friend that has Gold Membership to FRont Sight is givng wife and each a certificate wortt $1200. I am definitely psyched to get some training this year.

~A

Originally posted by Kahrman
Originally posted by APachon
Granted I can call myshots out to 25 yds with not a single problem, but when the adrenaline starts to pumping, I am not sure if my shot placement will be as precsie and surgical.
Your shot placement would most likely not be where you want it, but the more you train the more it will be in an effective area. Not saying anything about you personally, adrenaline will do some heady things to you as a shooter.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
When I don\'t carry a second gun, I have a mag holder by Galco on the weak side around 9-10 o\'clock. I have to be stylish, so my belt, holster and mag holder are all by Galco, so they match.:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kel-Tec .32 keep two extra mags in the opposite pocket.

In any of my others I carry a couple of extra mags or speed loaders. Nothing is as much of a let down as an empty gun.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had a buddy who carried 8 spare mags for his 1911A1, 4 in each back pocket. No, I didn\'t ask.....

·
Registered
370 Posts
If I\'m carrying, I have extra ammo or mags on me.

Even if I\'ve got a back-up gun on as well. :yes:

·
Banned
239 Posts
This is what I like about single stack 1911 mags. they are so thin they just slip in a pocket. I always carry a spare on me and a couple in the truck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I always carry a spare mag with me any time I leave the house, one 15 rounder in the gun and one 15 rounder in either my pocket or in either my Galco mag carrier or my kramer mag carrier.

You never know what you might run into and you never know if your mag that is in the gun will malfuction.:D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Originally posted by Bumper
If I could find a really nifty whizbang way to carry them unobtrusively I probably would. Like spacemanspiff I do sometimes stuff them in a pocket.
A great unobtrusive carry for spare magazines is an old eyeglass case. Nobody notices them, they can be carried just about anywhere, and are available in different sizes.
The spare ammo issue is frequently blown out of proportion for CCW use, but if you want to fly under the radar there are numerous options.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts