Defensive Carry banner

Which Ruger LCR Caliber do you own/prefer?

• 38 Special

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • 22 Magnum

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • 9mm

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • SOMETHING ELSE

Votes: 3 6.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are EDC Ruger's LCR, which caliber did you decide to purchase and why?

Any regrets?

Any favorable aspects as to why you went with your caliber?

Please share.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've had two of the LCRs, one in 9mm and one in 357 Mag. I've parted ways with both of these revolvers. The 9mm with the moon clips made less and less sense to me when I had it and the 357 Mag was parked in between my SP101 and my S&W J Frame 38s and didn't really fill the role of either. That being said, the LCRs are fine revolvers they just weren't filling any need I had enough to make me want to keep them.

To answer your question, to make a choice between the one in 9mm and the 357, I would choose the 357 for use with 38+P loads.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My .38 LCR isn't my daily carry but reserved for those instances where concealment is crucial...it also sits by my chair in the den to answer the door with for unannounced visitors. It is easy to slip inside the pocket if not needed and will provide an immediate response if required. My SP101 is enough of a handful with 357 mag rounds so I didn't want to get a lighter weight revolver in that caliber. Plus since it is a deep concealment item, the weight savings 13 oz versus 17 was a player in my decision. .38+P is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I edc a Ruger Lcr in .327 federal magnum. 6 shots of 100gr buffalo bore hp ammo. It has a fair amount of kick but still very controllable for follow up shots.

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
Got the .357. It was on sale. :lol:

Love it, probably the very last gun I'd ever sell. The extra weight makes it excellent for .38. It is indeed a handful in .357, but controllable. A bit heavy for pocket carry, but certainly doable (though I have to use smaller grips to make it work in jeans).

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I decided on the .38 spl. lcrx after shooting a friends .357, it was a bit too much. If I want a .357 I will go with my S&W combat .

I also carry a sp 101 3in. 327 quite often, one of my favorites when I want a revolver.

·
Registered
148 Posts
lcr 22lr, yellow jackets at 3 yards in a 3" group through a 3" phone book: low recoil, accurate, reliable, easy-carrying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
LCRX in .38
I carry it with boot grips that I modified. This gun goes with me everywhere. In shorts at home, as a back up gun.
I have it in .38 because my work only lets me carry a revolver chambered in .38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
22 mag because I thought my wife would enjoy it. I thought wrong. I have carried it and may again, but for right now it is a range gun and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
.38 here too. Don't trust the 9mm due to possible crimp jump. The .357 is heavier but still too light for .357. The .327s are interesting but I've never seen ammo for it in the wild.

My .357 is a SP101, so the .38 LCR is a nice complement.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I had one in 22LR.. I dunno, it wasn't for me.. It was a trigger from hell, just super stiff, and i could NOT shoot that gun with any accuracy at all.. I can't shoot any snubby, so its probably not the gun.. Traded the LCR in on a LCPII, and bought a ruger 22/45 as my .22 pistol, and now I shoot close little groups every time... The LCR was a nice gun, but it just wasn't my cup of tea... bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the .357 and shoot .357 with the new ARX bullet for my defensive round. It's a lighter recoil loading. .357 hole and maybe some extra cavitation in a high velocity round. My practice rounds are Tula .357, which are painful to shoot after a bit. They also tend to get stuck in the chamber probably because they are steel-cased. So pain in the butt, but cheap (maybe 23¢/rd shipped as I recall, not much more than 9mm).

Unlike my other guns, the practice rounds are higher energy than the defensive rounds. Usually it's +P for defensive and normal loading for practice in other calibers.

I shoot 5 or 10 rounds of 357 initially with every practice with the other handguns following. Makes the other calibers seem easy if you shoot 357 first. You also get a sense of having done something when your hand is sore, ignoring the fact you've only shot 5 rounds.

So I figure if I shoot 5 every practice and rotate the other calibers for the balance of the practice session, I will eventually get some practice in with that gun and eat through my Tula stockpile.

I do like the idea of the .327 six round gun, but the availability and cost of ammo for practice made me shy away.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
My wife and I both have the 22lr and the 22WMR. The 22lr's are range guns, but my wife's 22WMR is her EDC. I do carry mine, but it's not my EDC.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I chose the .357 Magnum. On the street I carry it with .38+P 158 gr LSWCHP. In the woods as a BUG to my shotgun or rifle I carry my handloads. Either my 158 gr. home cast LSWC over 2400, clocking at 1150 fps out of that 2" tube, or my "Skeeter" load, same 158 LSWC clocked at 1050 out of that same KLCR. Plenty enough for any critter in my neck of the woods/swamps! I absolutely love that lil KLCR and carry it a lot !!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I chose the .357 Magnum. On the street I carry it with .38+P 158 gr LSWCHP. In the woods as a BUG to my shotgun or rifle I carry my handloads. Either my 158 gr. home cast LSWC over 2400, clocking at 1150 fps out of that 2" tube, or my "Skeeter" load, same 158 LSWC clocked at 1050 out of that same KLCR. Plenty enough for any critter in my neck of the woods/swamps! I absolutely love that lil KLCR and carry it a lot !!
I tried those 158gr .38+p LSWCHP from buffalo bore in my LCR .38 and I barely got thru 5 rounds...ouch!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I buy the American eagle 85 or 100gr .327 mag ammo for the range. It's readily available and about $23 for a box of fifty.
So roughly twice per round what I'm paying for steel cased .357 (which is kind of sucky admittedly, Tula). When you get down to it, everything in the world is readily available at a certain price. But that said, I could easily live with just buying the .327, get quality defense rounds, and not really practicing with it that much, just use it as a close up and personal gun, which it is in many ways.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts