Defensive Carry banner

Do you EDC a FAK?

• Yes, I carry FAK, to include a trauma kit

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Yes, I carry a rudimentary FAK, to include a tourniquet (TK)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Yes, but it's just a tourniquet

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Yes, I carry a simple FAK, but no TK, no hemostatic agent, no occlusive dressing

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Does a bandaid in my wallet count?

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Does a condom count?

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I carry a cell phone and my health insurance card.

Votes: 10 34.5%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It goes without saying: gunfights can be dangerous.

If you EDC a firearm, you might feel better prepared to cope with a deadly assault. But stopping the threat may only be half of the problem. How have you prepared to cope with a serious or life-threatening injury? Do you carry a first aid kit (FAK) along with your defense weapon? Are you relying on a 911 call and an ambulance? (The old saw, "when seconds count, help is only minutes away" comes to mind.) Have you taken a first aid or EMT course?

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I have with me an IFAK for gunshot wounds. It has tourniquet, Israeli bandages, gauze, a splint, and lots of other stuff. They can be found on Amazon for anywhere from 40-100 bucks. If you need one, it'll be the best money you ever spent.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I wear an ankle rig with CAT, a pressure dressing, packing gauze, emergency cutter and some gloves.

Reactions: Nix

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have a multi tiered approach to medical. I keep a SWAT-T on my person with a more complete IFAK in my EDC bag which includes a SOF-T, compression bandage, CELOX Rapid, compressed gauze, chest seals, a 5x9 pad, and tape. In my vehicle I keep a larger kit which has enough supplies to treat multiple casualties as well as some injuries that fall outside of the M.A.R.C.H. protocol, such as fractures and burns. I also keep a CAT, compression bandage, and quick clot on my visor. The range bag in the trunk also has a stop the bleed kit.

Honestly, I probably went a bit overboard and may scale my large vehicle kit back somewhat as the contents begin to expire. This starts to get expensive after a while.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have with me an IFAK for gunshot wounds. It has tourniquet, Israeli bandages, gauze, a splint, and lots of other stuff. They can be found on Amazon for anywhere from 40-100 bucks. If you need one, it'll be the best money you ever spent.
I would be careful with medical items bought from Amazon. I have bought some legit stuff on there but have also found more counterfeit stuff than you can shake a stick at.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
Didn't answer the quiz, because of the way the facetious way the questions were asked. This question has been asked a couple of time on DC before.

Just like with guns, people want to talk more about hardware than training. I've learned trauma FA in the Navy, tactical FA in a great course at the NRA HQ range and I took the Red Cross FA course a few years ago, although I probably should take it again. I think having training is more important that having the gear and you should not have gear you are not professionally trained in using.

In both the Navy and the tactical FA course, we were taught to improvise. The purpose built stuff is preferred, but you are not always going to have that available. And if you have one tourniquet, what if two people need them? You can use a shirt for a wound pack, a credit card to patch a puncture wound, you can stick a finger in a severed artery and you can use a belt for a tourniquet. This is not preferred of course, but if I had to choose, I'd rather have the knowledge than the gear. I would say that if you can't do FA without the gear, you can't do it any better with the gear.

One thing the paramedic (and former Army medic instructor) who taught the Tactical Medicine course told us was you are generally only trying to keep someone alive for 20 minutes, until real help arrives. You are not trying to be a walking emergency room. And he said he has seen a lot of bad trauma FA. This gets into training again. He has seen people do more damage trying to stuff they aren't qualified to do than if they had left the patient alone. This is especially true of airway stuff.

To answer the OP's question, I carry full trauma FA gear in my motorcycle jacket and I have a more standard FA kit in my pannier. I am giving up riding, so I will probably transfer all that to my car. But I am not going to EDC FA gear on my person. I would rather have a bigger gun. My strategy is for the bad guy to need FA, and my answer will be "Sorry, can't help."

·
Registered
530 Posts
My wife and I now have a small rudimentary FAK in our EDC bags. I also have a "fuller" kit in my range box - large plastic trunk with wheels that goes to the range with us carrying our target stands, targets, sand bags, etc...

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I maintain my basic training in first aid and all my vehicles are well equipped including hemostatic agents but, the only time I actually carry a kit on person is in the backcountry or a day hike in a pack.

·
Premium Member
8,382 Posts
Keep a full well stocked kit in my vehicle.
Do not carry much if anything on my person.
Just a bandanna to stop bleeding can be used in many ways.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I have a full trauma kit at home, and take it on trips, etc. Everyday life, I carry nothing in that respect.

·
Banned
168 Posts
I don't carry one, but I probably should look into it more. I think the chances of getting in a gunfight AND needing a tourniquet are quite low, but the same could be said about the need to carry a second magazine which is often heavier than a tourniquet. Like others, I have them at home and in the car, but if you think about it, just as I don't leave my pistol in the car, I probably shouldn't leave a tourniquet there either.

Reactions: airslot and Nix

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think having training is more important that having the gear and you should not have gear you are not professionally trained in using.
To my way of thinking, surviving a gun fight is not just about having a big gun and a good lawyer on speed dial. Sorry if my survey offended you or seemed unduly facetious. I learned long ago not to be too serious on this website. I think the subject is important and warrants as much attention as the first half of a potential violent encounter. Thanks for your input there.

I agree that training is important, and more important than gear...if one has to chose. I think it's still a good idea to have some first aid/self aid gear on hand. Trying to improvise a tourniquet for yourself can be done, but it's much faster to have a ready made and accessible TK ready. (A simple exercise simulating a busted arm with an arterial bleed will demonstrate that quickly enough.)

I've had the fun of trying to stop my own arterial bleed. Even a non-arterial stab wound proved a little tricky to self-treat. I was glad to have access to a number of FAK supplies and some improvised materials on both occasions.

I keep a TK (x2) and a small FAK on the motorcycle, too. One of the TK's is mounted on the frame where it is easily accessed (as long as I'm not too far from the bike). A CAT in my pocket. I had a buddy who got side-swiped off his bike and had his leg nearly cut off by the barbed wire fence he landed in. He nearly bled out right there, and I'm still not sure how he survived (Neither is he). A TK might have been a real game changer--although a third party would have had to apply it since he was unconscious.

I also keep a more robust kit in the truck that includes some basic airway management.

I too have taken several FA courses, both civilian and military. They've all been useful.....but it's been a while. While some concepts are durable, I suspect that, like shooting, FA skills are sharper if practiced more regularly.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't carry a FAK on my person, but I do have one in the truck. This way, since my FAK is a bit too large to wear on my belt, I at least have it reasonably accessible.

·
Banned
62 Posts
Whom are you going to treat - yourself?

You going to approach a BGuy you just used your SD handgun on and render aid - - really?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Whom are you going to treat - yourself?

You going to approach a BGuy you just used your SD handgun on and render aid - - really?
While I sincerely doubt that I would be rendering first aid to somebody that just tried to kill me or one of mine, I would certainly render aid to any innocent bystanders that were hurt, or the victim of any kind of accident.

A FAK is not there ONLY in case you have to use your firearm. It is there in case you feel the need to treat any injury, minor or major, that you feel you need to treat.

If your small child fell off their bike and scraped up their arm, wouldn't it be nice if somebody were to stop and help them and maybe put a band-aid on the scrape?

If you had to change a flat tire and smashes you finger to the point where it was bleeding, wouldn't it be nice if you could clean it up a little bit and dress it with some Neosporin and a band-aid?

Yes, this is a gun forum, but sometime these things apply to more that just SD.

·
Registered
504 Posts
At home I have a large cabinet able to treat everything from infections to allergic reactions to gunshots.
I keep big trauma bags in my cars.
I have a ifak in my range bag, on my plate carrier, and I have one I keep on my belt whenever I'm at the range.
But on my person during mundane tasks like grocery shopping? No, I'd have to run to or send someone to my car.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Tourniquet, bleed stop, Israeli bandage, gloves, cpr mask. Much more extensive kit in the car including 02.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Yes, a pocket DARK kit. I’ve attended a couple of excellent stop the bleed and emergency trauma classes.

My personal “fight club“ includes several medics, nurses and a trauma surgeon, so even at fighting classes, medical gets touched on often.

sorry you got some rude comments, had me rolling my eyes, because this is a relevant topic here.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have IFAKbin my truck and some tourniquets around. I am a medic and have taken TCCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts