Defensive Carry banner

Which type of knife do you normally carry?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I normally carry a G10 Spyderco Native 5 folder, but have rotated it out with a small fixed blade like an Esee Izula 2 or Tops Tom Brown Scout. Do you normally carry a fixed blade or folder? Or do you switch to one or the other, or simply carry both at the same time? I just thought this topic could start an interesting conversation. Be sure to vote in the poll.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Two folders.
Fox karambit for defense and a small utilitarian for every day use.
The only thing the karambit has cut is my finger. Once

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Got into fixed blades last year for every day carry. Have a ZT350 I was carrying daily(still do for work). Then I got a ESSE Izulu 2. Liked that so much I got a 3. Carries just fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
681 Posts
I carry a folder most of the time. Sometimes when I'm in the field or mountains hunting I'll carry a fixed blade. I wish they could make a quality folder in a throwing knife that could take the punishment.

Reactions: AmmoFan01

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
No EDC knife for me that isn't a fixed blade. Been that way for 10-12 years. Prior to that, I carried a wide variety of folders. Then John Benner at Tactical Defense Institute didn't just tell me I was making a mistake. He...SHOWED me. :yup:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No EDC knife for me that isn't a fixed blade. Been that way for 10-12 years. Prior to that, I carried a wide variety of folders. Then John Benner at Tactical Defense Institute didn't just tell me I was making a mistake. He...SHOWED me. :yup:
Basically, a folder is just a broken fixed blade with a locking mechanism holding the blade open or closed. So I wouldn’t expect it to handle the level of abuse that a fixed blade can. When I carry a fixed blade, I like to keep my blade length between 3 or 4 inches.

·
Registered
294 Posts
During my 40 work hours per week I can only carry a pocket knife which is mostly used for mundane chores like cutting plastic ties on paper boxes or slicing open a cheese stick packet. After work and on weekends I usually carry a folder for the convenience of clipping in a pocket. I do have a couple of sturdy fixed blades to use for the right occasion.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got into fixed blades last year for every day carry. Have a ZT350 I was carrying daily(still do for work). Then I got a ESSE Izulu 2. Liked that so much I got a 3. Carries just fine to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to own the ZT0350, that thing was built like a tank and it sharpened up nicely. I had to use the corners of the Sharpmaker rods because of the recurve, but S30V is an excellent blade steel, it’s fairly easy to sharpen plus it takes and holds a nice edge.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
California frowns on fixed blades; carry a Gerber Decree daily.

Reactions: AmmoFan01

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I carry an assisted Folder...Works for me!.
I like assisted openers myself, I have owned a bunch over the years. If you don’t own these already, I recommend taking a look at the Benchmade 580 Barrage and the 590 Boost. I agree that they are a little pricey, but excellent knives and well worth the price IMO.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That's why I keep crazy glue in my range bag. Works great on sealing cuts.
That's the original purpose of "superglue", and it's what I used in this case.
Being on blood-thinners, there was lots of blood.
I was at a truck stop. A bus had stopped there at that time and all these kids came in the restroom as I was tending to it. They didn't know what to think. None offered to help so I guess it wasn't a scout troop.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
The fixed blade at the bottom, Spartan Blades CQB. Also a folding razor knife. Don't have a picture, but I keep a Buck "Bucklite Ranger" on my belt. Fixed blade at the top was my old carry, which has moved to the safe, as it's to valuable to carry these days. "Randall Made" 1970ish production.

44935_48-22-1901-lg.jpg

IMG_20171227_141417.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been carrying the pocket clip style folders for about 20 years. Started out with a Harley Davidson folder that was given to me by a friend. I still have it, but we went through some Gerber assisted folders that always had the pocket clip breaking. We finally landed on the HK Nitrous Blitz that I loved until I forgot I had it in my pocket at an airport. When I got home, I bought another Blitz, a Benchmade Torrent and a Benchmade Barrage. The Barrage is pretty fat, so it lives in a drawer. The Torrent is a little thinner. I wear it instead if the Blitz because it has a striker on the end that is perfect for opening beer bottles. The Blitz is the thinnest and lightest and most comfortable to wear.

I just impulse bought a DPX HEST 6 Milspec. I doubt I'll edc it though.

Gerry

·
Registered
355 Posts
Folders for me for daily use. I was into high end models for a very brief time. I now carry more disposable models that work just as well. Cold steel American Lawman, Ontario Rat, Spyderco Tenacious, Kabar Dozier are some of my favorites.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts