Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the various discussions on carrying in church, this is an interesting poll of the general public:

Do You Feel Safe At Your House of Worship? - FOXNews.com

Be sure to read the comments section; some are very interesting, some are typical knee-jerk anti-gun and some are head-in-the-sand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Majorlk - I need to make this addition into your thread post in order that members may see it right when they click to view your thread. I am putting this here in an attempt to keep your thread OPEN.
The thread needs to stay on topic to firearm carry in a building that happens to be a House Of Worship.
Some members are straying the thread into religious discussion and that is prompting comments from other members who do not happen to be religious.
And that is why we have this rule posted on the forum rules page:

9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly.
For this reason, we prohibit these subjects in our discussions.

We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; strongly encouraging you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus.

I am going to clean up this thread now so members can expect some deletions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And for those forum members that just cannot seem to resist making a smart-ass comment when another fellow forum member just happens to mention his belief in God - please try to exercise some basic human compassion and remember that were are not enemies here.
We should never be waiting for another forum member to "slip up" so that we can immediately jump down their throats and belittle them.
We are all on the same side of the firearm fence.
Two wrongs don't make a right and what you are doing by trolling and flaming is also a rule violation.

Please read the message from Bumper (below)

Leave your attitudes at the door

We have had a recent increase in membership, which we can all appreciate. I really like seeing more people interested enough in concealed carry that they research good, solid, reliable information and opinions. But, when we have an influx of new members, we often have a problem of attitudes brought into the forums. We encourage all of our members to read the Forum Rules before posting and see what is allowed and what is not allowed. This forum was created to be different than many other forums. We don't tolerate flames, attacks, name calling, ethnic slurs.

If you can't take an opposing position or have a different opinion than another member without including sarcasm or making your response a "smartass comment" then you should restrain yourself from posting.
On the flipside, if you are so sensitive that you cannot accept honest (and respectful) constructive criticism or having someone post an opposing view, you may want to simply lurk.

We understand that everyone (including the moderators and myself) occasionally have bad days. When that happens, and you can't seem to restrain yourself from taking that out on someone else in a thread or post, do yourself, and all of us, a favor and don't post at all.
We really don't want to hear it. Here, things are kept civil, as a rule.
If you can't be civil, you need to find another forum because you won't last long here.

I don't really want to sound like a dictator, but you are in my home. And in my home, if you cause trouble you're invited to leave.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Safety at church

I actually feel pretty safe at church, mainly because I can name at least 8 men, including me, (and a few women) who carry every service. :image035:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I feel reasonably safe as I carry and keep an eye on things. My church does nothing that I am aware of so I take responsibility for me and mine.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I typically go to Temple only on the high Holy holidays. I know my brother in law and myself were packing not sure about anybody else.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I've been holding instruction on Saturdays so clergy and parisioners can attend. When the congregation gets wind of the ushers' packing, collections go way up.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Wow! An alarming 47% said "Yes. I don't think about safety when I attend a service at my house of worship."

I feel as safe in church as I do in any other public place.

I have not found any policy prohibiting firearms in my church, so carrying is good to go. And, since church is a place where you should be alert and paying attention ANYway (I'm looking at you, back pew snoozers!) the odds of a successful crime are very, very slim.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feel somewhat safe now, but I'll feel even safer next Sunday when I have my new XD(m) .40 in my SmartCarry while I'm preaching...

:)

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Done...:bier:

Do You Feel Safe At Your House of Worship?

Yes. I don't think about safety when I attend a service at my house of worship.47%

Yes. But I've begun to think more about my safety after all these attacks.35%

No. I wish my house of worship would focus more on this issue.12%

No. But my house of worship does not seem concerned.5%
I'm not sure.2%

Total Votes: 7,176

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
It seems strange to preach while CC. Have being doing it now for about 6 month. I do it not so much for my own protection as for the congregation's protection. In our church the pulpit faces the back door and I am the only one that faces that door when I am preaching, every one else is facing me. I have become very aware of anyone coming through that door in the middle of the message. The answer I have come to is if a person comes in during middle of service with a AK shotgun or wearing sky mask or such then it is time to draw and take action. Have being a pastor for over 30 years it does seem strange to be carrying now even in worship service and yet to have peace in my soul about this.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
There's 4 at my church including me that carry to church...that I know of...there could be more.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been holding instruction on Saturdays so clergy and parisioners can attend. When the congregation gets wind of the ushers' packing, collections go way up.
Ummmm ... :image035:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That being said, I feel extremely UNSAFE at many of the local churches that want new PA systems because they were robbed once again. Unfortunately in Georgia, it is illegal to carry inside a church.
Just curious ... how many had the sound system stolen while the service was in progress?

Not one, is my guess. :image035:

·
Registered
792 Posts
They needed for the poll to say... I feel safe because MANY people in my church carry... Now why didn't they put that in there???? Hmmmmm

·
Registered
862 Posts
I live in Illinois.........so that's a big fat NO. There are alot of cops that attend my church so I hope that at least 1 or 2 of them carry at church but I have never talked to them about that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Gotta pass that one on to my pastor....:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
132 Posts
i feel just as safe in church as i do anywhere else that i go. not very!!!! there is at least one cop that goes to church with us but i have never asked if he is carrying.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I am not uncomfortable in church if I am not carrying. I feel safer than in a downtown business.

Consider how many thousands of churches meet at least once on Sunday, and some twice plus Wednesday evening. Yes there have been a few church shootings, but the percentage is absolutely miniscule. If you are worried then so be it, but I am not.

Although I do carry, I am persuaded that the danger is blown all out of proportion to any actual danger.
Now if the traffic is heavy I am much more likely to have an accident and be injured than to be attacked at a church service.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I do not attend regular services but a close friend of mine plays in his church band and they are often times short a 2nd trumpet player. I fill in a lot because I honestly really enjoy gospel music even though I don't like organized religion. Go figure, right? haha. I don't carry on my person while I am playing but my gun goes in my gig bag and it's never more then 2 feet away from me. I re-holster when I get outside.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts