Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Would you be willing to allow them to camp out on your front porch? If not where's your empathy?
I said nothing about the appropriateness of the man's choice of napping area.

I was talking about assuming he was a threat and approaching in a non-friendly manner and then commenting about the man's rude response.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
I do not automatically assume a sleeping person is a threat.

You were the one being aggressive thus his response to your demand was appropriate.

Most homeless people are harmless. Some are not. Some are mentally ill, some are not.

Have we seriously lost our ability to have empathy towards our fellow man?
Most Homeless are not harmless! I have seen first hand what they do to each other! Most are not outwardly aggressive. But when they are, they don't have the off switch! I do not allow them to get near me. When it comes right down to it they have very little to loose. DR

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Situations like yesterday with demonstrators- rioters in the area made me realize how a plan could be vital if we needed to contact a group of friends, neighbors and relatives to warn them of danger. I ran through my phone contacts and picked out those who should be called and I called some and told the wife to call some. "Now you need to call your cousin Jerry." "Aw he probably knows about it already." "Maybe he don't know yet." She calls and He says Thanks for calling I will let the kids know who live in the city suburbs too.---- "Aren't you glad you called now."
So now I'm setting up a group of friends, neighbors and relatives to message and advise them if there is imminent danger in our area. That way we don't spend a lot of time calling everybody.

Just a few years ago I talked to a few neighbors that I thought I could trust about what we would do if we had a collapse like they were having in some other countries. "I can arm myself and you can arm yourself and we can can look out for each other and our families." One of these neighbors looked at me like I was nuts and said - "Nothing like that could happen in our country, our government wouldn't allow it." I called him yesterday told him where the demonstrators were at so he could keep his family safe.
Plans are fine but a lot of people don't seem to see the need for them until it is nearly too late. People don't want to see things the way they are or what they can develop into. So you spend what could be vital minutes trying to help them when things happen. Like calling them to tell them that the door is unlocked in case they want to share your basement when you hear the roar of a tornado.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have plans - evolving plans according to the situation and modified by my wife's presence or absence as well as her frame of mind at the time.
Is that some of that dry Arizona humor or are you really able to anticipate your wife's moods? Can you elaborate on how the plans change according to her frame of mind? I just tell my wife that if the shooting starts for her to take cover. Sometimes she would rather die than to listen to good advice.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
To answer the OP's subject question, yes and no. I have plans in my head for what I would do for me and my family under various circumstances. But I need to sit down with my wife and discuss those with her. She doesn't see the potential threat that we can face at any given time that could spring up out of nowhere as well as I do. She made the comment to me recently, not in a hateful way, but in a nice way, that she sees me getting more fearful as I get older. I told her that I'm just becoming more aware how fast something can happen to us, and I think about it more.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
To answer the OP's subject question, yes and no. I have plans in my head for what I would do for me and my family under various circumstances. But I need to sit down with my wife and discuss those with her. She doesn't see the potential threat that we can face at any given time that could spring up out of nowhere as well as I do. She made the comment to me recently, not in a hateful way, but in a nice way, that she sees me getting more fearful as I get older. I told her that I'm just becoming more aware how fast something can happen to us, and I think about it more.
I first started carrying concealed in the 80's, and then moved to a county that did not issue. I let the ccw drop.
I did not start again till about 10 years ago. And not because I'm less fearful.
I don't move like I used to, I don't hear like I used to and I can't run if I needed . At least for now I can still trade punches, But it better not go more than just a few min.

We all have our own reasons to carry everyday! DR

·
Registered
255 Posts
My wife and I have talked about this. She has been in her car and had a guy flipping out, likely meth and went on her way. Her carry never moved. I've had tweekers on my work lot, prowling. Property that I don't own isn't my business, call the police. You need to know your off switch and triggers in life. We have a camera system, our neighborhood watch and our indoor defense stuff. A useless attack pit bull but she does bark and sniff out people. We present a very obvious camera presence, lighting and lock cars in garage, doors and secure firearms when we aren't around. Spokane is much different at night and we are near the woods, we get people lurking looking to steal. Most theft is unsecured property by careless homeowners. If you enter my home late at night to do harm it will not go well, that said our emphasis is go elsewhere first. Lethal is a LAST resort, but if your in my home uninvited to do evil. Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Wife and I both carry. She usually open Carrie's, I'm usually concealed.
She's LEO so when we're out n about people that I don't know come up to her. I don't know if they're friend or foe so we have signals, and adaptable plans.
I'm her backup since she has more protocol to follow. I'm just a civilian simpleton with fewer restrictions.
Twice potentially hostile plans were changed when a seemingly easy target became suddenly "less easy". But that's extremely rare. Usually it's another officer and I wander away while they talk shop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
This is the way I look at it:

What is your personal safety objective?
Does approaching, confronting, challenging or engaging this homeless person about where he sleeps, a part of that objective.
If this encounter goes sideways and you get hurt, he gets hurt or you becomes involved in some sort or legal entanglement, were you furthering your objective?

Speaking for myself, my objective is to live my life kindly, conduct my business and get home safe to my family. If I have concerns about what a homeless man is doing, I will make a phone call. The front stoop of an apartment building is a public access point in my mind. Managing the ongoings on the front stoop may fall more within the preview of the property owner/manager and less with the individual tenant. As I see it, what this homeless man is reportedly doing is not likely to endanger me or prevent me from my ongoing life-safety objectives. It is not something that seemingly requires I personally participate in some adverse condition which can very easily go wrong. Again, making a phone call mitigates nearly all potential for conflict ( with me) and thus, keeps me much safer. Before someone start talking evil and good men doing nothing, I will offer that a homeless guy sleeping on the stoop is far from evil in this world.

I would not have said anything to this man same as I would not chase a purse snatcher, get in between to men brawling or investigate odd happening in a darkened alley. I am not a public sentinel or public do-gooder. I am simply a guy trying to provide for and get home safe to my family.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Would you be willing to allow them to camp out on your front porch? If not where's your empathy?
well firstly.. my front porch is private property owned by me. The front stoop of an apartment building which must be accessed by anyone coming or going from any number of individual apartments may not be the same thing.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
We were watching protestors marching across a bridge into Portland on the news. My wife asked how can they be stopped? I replied raise the bridge.
Sometimes the obvious is invisible.

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Mostly we've discussed escape routes for various common situations like in a restaurant or supermarket, Walmart, etc. We both carry so we have also discussed how to spread out so as to divide the attention of a threat.
I so wish my wife would carry. She talked about it about a year ago, but then dropped it.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I so wish my wife would carry. She talked about it about a year ago, but then dropped it.
Well, it is, and must be, a personal decision. Not everyone wants that level of responsibility.

Reactions: RedSafety

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My wife and I have talked about this. She has been in her car and had a guy flipping out, likely meth and went on her way. Her carry never moved. I've had tweekers on my work lot, prowling. Property that I don't own isn't my business, call the police. You need to know your off switch and triggers in life. We have a camera system, our neighborhood watch and our indoor defense stuff. A useless attack pit bull but she does bark and sniff out people. We present a very obvious camera presence, lighting and lock cars in garage, doors and secure firearms when we aren't around. Spokane is much different at night and we are near the woods, we get people lurking looking to steal. Most theft is unsecured property by careless homeowners. If you enter my home late at night to do harm it will not go well, that said our emphasis is go elsewhere first. Lethal is a LAST resort, but if your in my home uninvited to do evil. Nuff said.
Like they say--" MY doors are locked for YOUR protection." My plan is to start with the smaller caliber first because it holds 25 rounds per magazine and work my way up to the one that makes bigger holes. Probably skip the carry guns in the middle if I were just defending my home.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
having a plan is a good idea and quick separation is not a bad plan when close encounters occur. Up until now, for outside the home, the only one my wife and I have is for her to lean her passenger seat all the way back and give me clear access to all the windows. :)

In the home or on the property she has her preferred gear, as I do mine, and not surprisingly, she's a better shot than I am. But we also have a very effective early warning system on the property...big dogs. And we live in a rural area so we don't see the same street issues as occur in the city. We do have our share of mischief though, but it's usually tweens and teens just doing stupid things. However, everyone out here in the sticks is armed, which is evidenced on any given Sunday afternoon when the weather is nice.

·
Registered
391 Posts
MB53 +1 to you. But I have a 35 # female that nobody but family can get near. She is the loudest and meanest sounding dog I have ever seen. I have had friends that have heard her for the first time in the house and ask what kind of hell-hound do you have now.

As for a plan, yes. Fight, Win, or let someone else worry about it when I am gone.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts