Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I even begin my post fair warning I overthink everything and I'm sure I over thought this too.

I suspect that we are on our way into another ammo panic. It's increasingly obvious that the anti-RKBA movement is going to begin an all-out assault on our rights.

I think right now is the time to start stocking up on ammunition and magazines and even certain guns. Actually I think if you waited till now you're probably going to end up behind the curve

My question is do you have and ammunition buying strategy and if so what is it?

The last ammo panic taught me a lesson that I will never forget. I got caught short and I decided if things ever went back to normal I was never going to get caught like that again.

The second lesson I learned was from the magazine capacity restrictions bill that nobody thought would pass in Colorado, until it did.

The first thing we did was sell off almost every gun we owned and then sat down and figured out what bases we wanted covered and how we could do that with the smallest number of guns possible and the smallest number of calibers possible.

We sat down and decided on a minimum number of magazines that we wanted per gun and a minimum amount of ammunition.

We've met most of our minimums. Now it's a question of saving money looking for sales and when we find a good price we buy as much as we can reasonably afford.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Each Saturday and Sunday morning, when we are done at the dog park, I take the dobie and walk through Bass Pro Shop and Academy sports. When something is on sale, I'll get a few boxes. Rarely do I not buy anything. I do this every weekend. Since I don't shoot every gun every week, and since I recently added a 380 pistol, I've accumulated a "stockpile" (according the the MSM).

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
I don't have an ammunition buying strategy.....I have a component buying strategy which is slightly more flexible.

This takes care of the ammunition buying requirement......

Now that's a reloading bench. That workshop is neater than my house!
As for strategy, I have been through many of these panics. I try not to buy into them,
I buy when something I shoot is on sale. I try to keep enough stock on hand till the panic subsides and prices get back to normal.
I have been thinking more and more about reloading though

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
No.

Reactions: Bad Bob and CWOUSCG

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I buy cheap and stack deep! I buy only when I can afford to and try not to shoot it all up at competitions. 3-gun events are costly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Not too concerned about ammo at this time.
More concerned with the so called high capacity mags. I think they will come after those very soon.
So I think a few more PMAGS for my AR 10 and 15 may be in the offing.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,875 Posts
More.

Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
My strategy is that I load my own. It costs me a fraction of what it costs to buy, so I can stock up easier, and most of the calibers I load share something in common with other calibers I load, so I just turn the components I have into the caliber I need. I always find it interesting when people talk about how it’s not worth it to load 9mm. A few weeks ago I was placing an order for components for .45, and I was thinking about how expensive it was, but then realized I had been so spoiled by the cheap cost of 9mm that now loading .45 for less than the cost of factory 9mm seems expensive.

Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Premium Member
33,906 Posts
I do have a strategy. I pull my supplier's website up, click through until I arrive at the product I want to buy, and then order it. Two days later, it arrives at my front door by UPS.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I do have a strategy. I pull my supplier's website up, click through until I arrive at the product I want to buy, and then order it. Two days later, it arrives at my front door by UPS.
The way things are going that may not be option as well....My prediction is that some carriers will stop delivering anything
firearms related given the climate right now.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,875 Posts
I still have .357 magnum ammunition that I stockpiled for my S&W revolver the first time Bill Clinton won the election in 1992. I switched to a Glock G20 10mm right after that.

Reactions: airslot and Sister

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Yes and it worked! Few years back I got a part time job at one of those big box hunting stores (no not Dicks) and got to know the fellow that unloaded the trucks in the stock room, he had a list at what all was being delivered on what day :image035:

The delivery days I was at the store those mornings first thing to purchase, camped out in the parking lot on the day we had bricks of .22’s coming in to be one of the first in line.

Let’s just say when CWO married me 3 years ago I came with a might fine dowry of ammo and guns :wink:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
The way things are going that may not be option as well....My prediction is that some carriers will stop delivering anything
firearms related given the climate right now.

Oh heck that is an easy fix, all the senders have to do is change the return name. Like Midway, if they used “Adam & Eve” instead of Midway nobody is gonna ask any questions and everybody is happy happy happy!

:danceban:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts