Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone here has liability insurance for a self defensive shooting scenario ? also some policies cover representation during criminal investigation and defense.

something like this CHLPP is a legal services membership organization for concealed handgun licence/permit holders or this Gun Owner Insurance Experts - Affordable Insurance Solutions LLC | Verona, WI

if so who do you have your policy with ? what does it cover and how much do you pay per year?

especially interested to hear form anyone who has a policy like this one and has used it after a SD shooting.

i don't think that there should be a law requiring it, but i do believe it`s worth looking into.

just like my gun, hopefully i`ll never use it but i`m sure i`ll be glad that i have it if the need arises.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's important to be clear that policies like the one that is referenced will only cover your criminal liability.

Although defending yourself against criminal charges will surely be expensive, those costs may pale in comparison to the expenses and potential damages awarded in a civil case.

And your attacker or his estate can still sue you even if you are cleared of criminal charges, and the burden of evidence required to find you responsible is much lower in a civil trial ("preponderance of evidence" vs "beyond a reasonable doubt"). If you have further questions, OJ Simpson can help explain.

·
Registered
42,987 Posts
Some states apply immunity against civil suits for justifiable self defense.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This topic is of great interest to me, and is one of the reasons I signed up here. Responsible people insure themselves against risks they can't afford. The time, expense, and trouble of carrying a weapon is, in my mind, a form of insurance against the threat of me or someone in my family losing their life to a criminal. Unfortunately, that creates potential legal risk. I'm still trying to gauge for myself just how much risk there is and how to mitigate it.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
nope, and I don't plan to.

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
I checked with the agent who has my homeowners insurance. I am well covered.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Florida provides immunity from civil suits. I have a large umbrella policy -- not just for concealed carry, but for "general" liability that might be brought by the various ambulance chasers here that do such classy things as advertise on the sides of our city buses.

But -- at least I know which lawyer not to call if I really need one. Personally, I'll call the criminal defense lawyer in town that represents all the cops when they are involved in a shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I do not carry any special insurance only the standard home owners and I will say the following that may seem odd to you but it is how I arrange my situation. I will only use deadly force to protect myself and my immediate family. I will be a very good witness for all others but I will not intervene and shoot for their protection they made the decision to trust law enforcement and their government for their protection and I hope it works out for them. . Having said that two things will happen I will either be killed in the exchange of fire and I will do as much damamge to the bad guys before my light goes out. Or I will survive and I promes the bad guy will not. With those two outcomes how can the worry of insurance exist? You either fight to the death of one of you or not.

There is a lot of difference in suing for money and collecting money. There are a lot of shelters to protect your personal wealth. My mental preperation will make me a very costly target for those that try to harm me or mine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Florida provides immunity from civil suits. I have a large umbrella policy -- not just for concealed carry, but for "general" liability that might be brought by the various ambulance chasers here that do such classy things as advertise on the sides of our city buses.

But -- at least I know which lawyer not to call if I really need one. Personally, I'll call the criminal defense lawyer in town that represents all the cops when they are involved in a shooting.
^^This. Umbrella liability policy (everyone should have one, regardless of gun ownership or non-ownership, IMHO) and the number for a reputable, recommended lawyer or two (which, again you should have anyway, right?) is my CYA policy.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
If you read those CCW policies carefully, you will find they only reimburse you after the fact of trial if you are not guilty...

Others, that will pay for defense up front, do so only after review of your case.

Umbrella policies mostly cover negligent though unintentional liability. Check very carefully that you are covered for intentionally aiming at and shooting someone... Even if that someone is putting you at risk of death or grave bodily injury...

Have the agent, or better, the underwriter, show you in the policy, where you are covered... And realize, insurance only pays after you have a loss... You don't have a loss until you have paid out money... And lots of it.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
All of the above said... I forgot to mention these guys:
http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

I have heard nothing but good things about them, and the "principal" posts here on occasion.

Not many here say anything bad about them... It's more of an association, than an insurance company.
Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Some states apply immunity against civil suits for justifiable self defense.
Very true, but justified to you, and justified to someone else, are two different things. So you can still end up being sued for a shoot that you thought was completely justified.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
in some states the GG can not be sued in civel court if thy were aqquited in crminal court and i think Ohio might be one of them, anyone know foe sure?

It's important to be clear that policies like the one that is referenced will only cover your criminal liability.

Although defending yourself against criminal charges will surely be expensive, those costs may pale in comparison to the expenses and potential damages awarded in a civil case.

And your attacker or his estate can still sue you even if you are cleared of criminal charges, and the burden of evidence required to find you responsible is much lower in a civil trial ("preponderance of evidence" vs "beyond a reasonable doubt"). If you have further questions, OJ Simpson can help explain.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i wouldn't shoot for reasons other that either ( i do consider close friend as family but i will not defend stranger with deadly force) but i would probably want to keep my mouth shut in any event until i have a lawyer which cost lots of money. some policies cover criminal defense.

I do not carry any special insurance only the standard home owners and I will say the following that may seem odd to you but it is how I arrange my situation. I will only use deadly force to protect myself and my immediate family. I will be a very good witness for all others but I will not intervene and shoot for their protection they made the decision to trust law enforcement and their government for their protection and I hope it works out for them. . Having said that two things will happen I will either be killed in the exchange of fire and I will do as much damamge to the bad guys before my light goes out. Or I will survive and I promes the bad guy will not. With those two outcomes how can the worry of insurance exist? You either fight to the death of one of you or not.

There is a lot of difference in suing for money and collecting money. There are a lot of shelters to protect your personal wealth. My mental preperation will make me a very costly target for those that try to harm me or mine.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts