Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why the question? Comes from a question, we were asked in Ontario Canada, by a visiting Police Officer, from the USA in a lecture situation. Two-part, 1st, Who carries a knife? Half the class. 2nd, Who would kill a criminal attacker with your knife. I was in the front row, put my hand up. The lecturer laughed and said. "Mike we can tell you are from Liverpool yes!" Only I had my hand up.

I will start off with my carry knife. Benchmade, thin stonewashed 3" blade, razor-sharp. To close needs pressure on the lock/unlock button. Which is not within the handgrip reach. MECHANISM AXIS® BLADE STYLE Reverse tanto 940: Reverse tanto Clip-point.

No, I don't sell Knives!

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Not sure i would be very good with a knife.
I have never taken any kind of knife training.
Suppose in a life and death situation I would defend myself to the best of my ability.
Just go spider-monkey crazy on them.
As to the title of the OP. "With a folding knife"
Guess the first thing I would do is unfold it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure i would be very good with a knife.
I have never taken any kind of knife training.
Suppose in a life and death situation I would defend myself to the best of my ability.
Just go spider-monkey crazy on them.
As to the title of the OP. "With a folding knife"
Guess the first thing I would do is unfold it.
Smarty pants!

·
Registered
700 Posts
No thanks. One was enough and I just got lucky because the moron didn't know how to use it. That's a reason I carry a gun. And the older I get, the less likely it would end in "success" for me.

Nobody really wins a knife fight, it's just a matter of who loses the least. Expect to get cut. Once you're bleeding you are "on the clock", and time is against you if the other guy isn't leaking too. If it must be hand weapons I want distance. Give me pepper spray, a stick, bat, flag pole, fire extinguisher, cane, chair, umbrella, expandable baton, length of chain or similar that can be used like a flail. Heck, I'd rather be picking up random objects and tossing them. At most now for a bladed weapon I carry something like this just as a "get off me" option: https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1478BP

Frankly though a knife "fight" is the last thing I want to face. Most aren't fair fights and they are over in the blink of an eye by someone good with a blade. Even someone not so good, it's usually "monkey with a screwdriver" type incidents. Not "I've studied my Agrippa"...

P.S. Why is this in new member introduction?

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I'm with @KILTED COWBOY ... I would unfold it first, BUT...how did this wind up in NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS?

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Knife as I have said before and will say again to me are for beyond last ditch ( like after gun and running away) last ditch ...Unless you have major training I would not go for a knife unless you had no choice ( ie you are pin on the ground ) ..Sure they are some knife that might even the odds more esp if you know how to use them (thinking here Kukri, Karmbits ,fairbore style daggers , punch daggers etc ) but again most of them are very frown upon in many state and again need training .

Knife fighting to me should be last ditch you will get cut and injure possible as bad as other party

Folding knife for CQB ..That is just asking for something to go wrong in my book

Reactions: Pete63 and Risasi

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
In my earliest infantry training in the Corps the WWII style bayonet fighting was changed from stab to slash and then stab. That advanced to knife fighting trainin too. Use the life as a slashing ndinstrument against the face, neck hands,and the ore attackable zones of the body. Forget slashing or stabbing heavily clothed areas.

Imagine that you were slashed across the face with a knife. Would you be distracted? Damn right you would be. Slash and then stab. Learn how to wrist twis so you can slash on the intitial and recover strikes. Us a blade made for it. I carry a KaBar folder with 3 inch Tanto blade, Japanese design made for the exact reason I carry it.

A cross slash to the face followed by stabs to the neck will get it done. The best target area is exposed skin.

Always hold the knife with the blade horizontal Never vertical which is stabbing orientation. But do not change to vertical in a fight. It is just as easy to stab on the horizontal and that also gets past bone easier. Get a folder with a Tanto blade.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Bowie knife is all you need, if you no H2H & Knife fighting ; ) PS Don't bring a knife to a gun fight
H/D

·
Registered
700 Posts
No knife fights for me. I'm too old to play that game. Years ago a weedmonkey came at me with a blade, when my back was turned and my friend shot him in the face with a shotgun.
That'll work. It's not like it's Rock-Paper-Scissors...shotgun always wins. Good thing your buddy saw him in time. Must have telegraphed his intent.

The most dangerous ones are the fellows who don't show the blade until it's too late. Like a puma. Don't realize he's there until his fangs are sinking into the back of one's neck. The really scary ones close in and hit you before you know they are there.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with the horizontal blade hold. Also skin! Neck, eyes. But this is the last-ditch, gun lost or inoperable, situation. I have never been shot, thank you! But I have been stabbed twice!

One on one situation the second time. The first time, working in the same Club in Liverpool, early 1960s. The Cavern Club, of Beatles fame. Two young men (17/18) rolling around on the stone floor. Two of us outside Bouncers called downstairs, I grabbed the top body, yanked him up, felt a blow to my back. A punch?

Anyhow, we dumped the two of them in the Street. A bit bent out of shape, a minor incident. For some reason, my jacket was off, in the van. My mate said whats all that black stuff on your back? The neon bulbs gave some strange results. Stepping into the Street lights! "Its blood," He said, off to the Emerg, local Hospital, 5 minutes away.

The on-call white coat said it was a possibly a small knife, or nail file. Just to the right, of my right kidney. Ouch.

1962? 10-30 pm. Friday night, two of us on the door, Matthew Street. Again the Cavern Club.
Larry had gone downstairs, for two cups of tea. (no booze at the Cavern) cold night.

A well-dressed chap, collar and tie, good Suit, and shoes, gleaming shoes. Wanted in. We had closed for any more admittance, 11-30 close (we hope) this person was a bit weird? Waving his hands about. And had a nice watch on his right wrist. I had worked my day job, 9 till 5, home to change, back to Liverpool, to the Club.

I was tired, missed the fact that he was likely left-handed. He suddenly threw a left-handed punch, I was standing on the 4" step at the street. But I saw the top of his thumb. Not knuckles. He was holding a homemade ice pick, made from a rat-tailed file. Beautifully made, the wooden handle polished and lacquered.
The blade polished also. He was carrying it in a stitched in a holster, made from a boot tongue, inside his jacket, upside down carry.
It entered my right wrist, on the inside, I caught his wrist, stopped him trying for more stabs (He tried!) I dissuaded him some more with a left-footed kick with my bother boot, toe to face. I was 27 years of age then, quite limber.

Broke his jaw, cheekbone, eye socket, 4 teeth on the deck. Five man Police Jeep not impressed! Scottish Sgt, big moustache, "What did you do this for?" I said he stabbed me with this! Handed over the weapon. Handcuffed, in the back of the Jeep, gone.

The promise to come back in the week for a written statement never happened. Can't trust Jocks!

Same Emerg, more needles.

No idea how I ended up in New member place!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin! I had a little bit of knife fighting that I got in the military & in the martial arts but by no means call myself expert or adept.

Okay. I'll still welcome a 1000+post member, LOL. Just noticed that myself, LOL.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GH. See you still do some Security work? My Son owns a mid-sized Security Company. Me, not working for him (just had my 84th birthday) But keep my licenses up to date, in case? And we shoot the re-ql together each year. 49 rounds! The pass mark is low.
And the target used a smaller version of the B27? I have been a shooter since I was 18 YOA. Starting in England, then Australia, Canada, and Florida. I still shoot quite well, but watching other Security Officers? I think we need some improvements?

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
I'm sure there are some very sophisticated moves trained knife fighters have that I have never been trained on. I do have 25 years of H2H training and the best advice I've heard for someone with some H2H skills is to use any weapon as an extension of empty handed moves, because you know those moves and they are in muscle memory. Also, most of the of the empty hand targets are going to be good targets for a knife. So instead of a jab-cross, it could be a jab-stab. Instead of a down block, it could be a downward parry with the blade.

The main thing I've been taught about that situation is the effects of "weapon fixation." It is really easy to focus only on your weapon and forget you have another hand to block and strike with and two legs to kick with. You don't want the opponent worried about your knife. You want them worried about other things so the knife can strike more easily.

Conversely, the attacker may have weapon fixation that you can use to your advantage. If someone is not well trained and you grab the wrist holding the knife, the common reaction is known as "gimme back my knife hand!" and he will try to pull it away from you. If you resist that, he will probably succeed and you may get cut as he pulls away. However, if you go with that reaction and follow that pull, you can have a solid strike coming out with the other hand, a strike he will not be as focused on.

But nothing works every time. The art is in figuring out what will work in real time.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Short answer: Not really. That's why I carry a handgun.

Reactions: OldVet and ETXhiker

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sent two Benchmade knives back for service, came back sharp as razors! Cost my Son, he bought two, $165.00 each. Called 92s? Osbourne? A thin stonewashed blade. Over 3" long. This slender blade would stab well. Slash even better. But in looking back on my own stabbing? I recon guns are my last-ditch effort! Not blades.

And really, all I have ever done is cut things with it. My left side of my belt holds a spare magazine, plus a light, a really bright Surefire. I modified a Glock 19 Mag Pouch to fit, put it in the sink, run hot water on it, keep trying to force the lens part into it, till it fits. I carry that light everywhere, including plane flights.

I much prefer a separate light, than a gun mounted one.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Its not really rocket science and most badguys are not a kali eskrima masters who are trained to defeat a knife attack. A knife is a fairly decent force multiplier and even in laymans hands it typically poses a more formidable status than the same layman without the knife.

Do I know what to do? I am certainly no knife fighter but I would use one if faced with life threatening peril and had no other weapon at my disposal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts