Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always amazes me every time we hear about a kid taking a gun to school or much worse...

I have a bunch of little Libertywheels at home and figure I am close to OCD when it comes to making sure the safe is locked (checking once, twice, etc). The idea of me not knowing where my guns are at is a foreign concept. It will be interesting to hear about how the rest of the story comes out, but stories like this one in Mason County are hard to figure out how the kid got a hold of a gun.

Student in custody after bringing gun to Hawkins Middle School in Mason County | The Seattle Times

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yup. One on my hip and three in the safe!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
When I was in HS during the early 90's, I had a key to the gun safe on my key ring, right next to my band locker key, and served as the primary family armorer. If the only thing keeping your teenager from doing something stupid is that the guns are locked in a safe, you have way MORE SERIOUS issues in play.

·
Registered
327 Posts
One is always on me and the rest are locked away, and if the grandkids or other short people are over then the room where the guns are locked up is also locked

Nothing to see here; move along.

Reactions: DZUS

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I'd really LIKE to say "yes!". Yet, when I changed houses a few (15?) years ago, I (re)discovered a nice Browning Sweet 16 Auto 5 in the farrrrrr-back of a walk-in, master bedroom closet. Still oiled-up and shiny. I "think" I got it in a multi-gun trade back in the '70's. Now, I lost it again...but in one of my gun safes!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was in HS during the early 90's, I had a key to the gun safe on my key ring, right next to my band locker key, and served as the primary family armorer. If the only thing keeping your teenager from doing something stupid is that the guns are locked in a safe, you have way MORE SERIOUS issues in play.
I agree, but some of us have tiny ones about.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Yes, haven't lost one yet to my own forgetfulness yet.
But sometimes I don't know what day it is...being retired will do that to you! :)
Everyday is Saturday!
The "Every Day is Saturday" Club!
I understand........for now.

And yes, I know where they are at, same place all the time. Unless company comes over.

·
Premium Member
36,781 Posts
It always amazes me every time we hear about a kid taking a gun to school or much worse...

I have a bunch of little Libertywheels at home and figure I am close to OCD when it comes to making sure the safe is locked (checking once, twice, etc). The idea of me not knowing where my guns are at is a foreign concept. It will be interesting to hear about how the rest of the story comes out, but stories like this one in Mason County are hard to figure out how the kid got a hold of a gun.

Student in custody after bringing gun to Hawkins Middle School in Mason County | The Seattle Times
Mine are at the bottom of Lake Erie, what with the boating accident, and all.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

Just drove by there yesterday afternoon.

Not hard to imagine how he might have gotten a hold of it. 25 years ago kids in Mason County were still taking guns to school so they could go shoot after. There are still a lot of people out there who feel it should still be that way.

Sometimes I don't even recognize this world anymore...

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Mine are at the bottom of Lake Erie, what with the boating accident, and all.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Several of mine were cached in properly sealed containers in the Superstitions along with 1K rds for each, 10 mags for each. I'm the only one with the gps coordinates. When I'm gone, they are gone until some enterprising person looking for the lost dutchmans gold stumbles across the pvc tubes while digging maybe 100-200 years from now

I've only checked the location at 0 dark 30 a few times [ it's just under 2 miles from the nearest road ], high ground, no chance of rain/water getting to the pvc canisters.

Don't care who reads it, or an agency that wants to take issue with this, they aren't getting the location even if they water board and pull fingernails. :haha:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It's ironic how things have changed. I grew up in Southern CA, so no "gun culture" to speak of. But society, as a whole, has completely changed how we view "firearms". I think this grew out of the high crime rates experienced in the 70s.

This reminds me of an article I read on the back page of a Guns & Ammo maybe 20 years ago. I don't remember who the man who wrote it, but I recall him being fairly "known" in the firearms world and was probably in his 50's or 60's then. He was talking about how society (in general) had come to think of firearms as evil things to be feared (as opposed to being respected). He recounted how he would regularly bring a shotgun to school (I believe it was before HS) and leave it in the coat closet. This was with full knowledge of the faculty. He would then hunt pheasant or some other game after school.

I'm not proposing that school kids bring firearms to school, but there used to be a time (at least in many rural communities) where a gun was viewed as a tool. Kids in their teens and some even younger had their own guns and were trained how to use them and, most importantly, to respect them. Today, a parent could end up in jail for letting their precious little ones even cast their eyes on a gun.

In today's society we have created a huge "buffer" around children where they do not have to learn responsibility because everything has been modified to remove any chance of injury or if someone does get hurt doing something stupid, it is always someone else's fault. I think the other contributing factor is that in the information age any act are quickly and widely reported around the country. This give an incentive to those who want attention/infamy to go out and commit some heinous act knowing their name and picture will be known to all.

I think we need more participation trophies.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Several of mine were cached in properly sealed containers in the Superstitions along with 1K rds for each, 10 mags for each. I'm the only one with the gps coordinates. When I'm gone, they are gone until some enterprising person looking for the lost dutchmans gold stumbles across the pvc tubes while digging maybe 100-200 years from now

I've only checked the location at 0 dark 30 a few times [ it's just under 2 miles from the nearest road ], high ground, no chance of rain/water getting to the pvc canisters.

Don't care who reads it, or an agency that wants to take issue with this, they aren't getting the location even if they water board and pull fingernails. :haha:
I don't know, I've got some experience in fingernail pulling (don't ask), I probably would talk in that case. Anyhoo, I could use a good treasure hunt and, well, hey, free guns and ammo!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Ain't got any young'uns round heah but I always know where my guns are, even the one in my pocket now and my old shotgun in my closet, not to mention a couple others in strategic. locations. My style of gun control.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,644 Posts
They are all sleeping peacefully in the safe except for the ones on duty carried by me and my wife.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts