Defensive Carry banner

Do you own your state's official gun?

• Yes, I own my state's official gun.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • No, I do not own my state's official gun.

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Gee, I was not even aware my state had an official gun!

Votes: 74 86.0%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I moved to Utah, I learned that the official state gun is the 1911, since John Moses Browning lived here and invented the 1911 while living here. The Browning museum in Ogden is well worth a visit.

I was wondering today which other states have state guns, and surprisingly, six other states do. These include:

Alaska - Pre 1964 Model 70 Winchester
Arizona - Colt Single action army revolver
Indiana - Grouseland Rifle
Pennsylvania - Long rifle
Tennessee - Barrett M82
Utah - M1911
West Virginia - Hall rifle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_firearms

So, my question today is, how many DC members own their state's official firearm? I personally own a Colt Commander, which is the only 1911 I own. (If money was no object, I would also own a Wilson Combat 1911.)

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Super Moderator
18,787 Posts
I own Alaska's, Arizona's, and Utah's state guns.

I nominate either the Winchester Model 1873 rifle or the Colt Single Action Army revolver to be Texas' state gun.

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
North Carolina does not have one, I ought to bring that up to GRNC to put on their list of things to do. I do own and carry Utah's state gun though.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
There are two possibilities for Illinois, a beat up illegal street "Fowtay", or the empty hand of a law abiding citizen.

So I answered no as I have neither.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Ct. could have many choices but they have no official gun. In case it is not known, Ct. is very much anti gun.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ha! That's rich, a state gun? Not trying to be obnoxious but i had no clue about a state gun.

Reactions: CaptSmith

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ct. could have many choices but they have no official gun. In case it is not known, Ct. is very much anti gun.
I live in CT. This is true, sadly. But was not always the case. Ct had a long successful ru n as the top gun manufacturing hub in the US. Even today, compared the MA, NJ and NY - I like to think that we have it good.

In my part of the state, Fairfield County - people are typically anti. I hide my hobby from all but 2 or 3 friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It is unacceptable, that Texas doesn't have an official gun. I like Bryan's suggestions, but based on my upbringing, I would like to nominate the Winchester 94 in .30-30.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I understand what you are saying. Here in New London county we don't have any New Yorkers. I am not one to hide any thing. I can remember when things were a lot better than they are now. How about $300.00 for a pistol permit?. How about the laws passed after Sandy Hook, that any idiot would know will not help public safety? I could go on but why?
Let us not forget the very sad state of the economy. taxes and spending are endless. What will happen to the retirement funds. The sad part of this is they don't know how to fix it End of rant.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I live in CT. This is true, sadly. But was not always the case. Ct had a long successful ru n as the top gun manufacturing hub in the US. Even today, compared the MA, NJ and NY - I like to think that we have it good.

In my part of the state, Fairfield County - people are typically anti. I hide my hobby from all but 2 or 3 friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wouldn't your state gun be the Speed Radar Gun?

or maybe the Liquor shooting gun at the bar?
Just kidding! :)

I think the Texas gun should be the Winchester Texas Ranger Edition lever action rifle.

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
I guess the TN gun should be whatever rifle Davy Crockett carried. OOPS. I looked it up, and Davy's first gun was "Old Betsy" - a Pennsylvania rifle "meticulously hand crafted in Kentucky". Well, maybe something different then.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Tennessee picked the Barrett? Sounds like they're compensating. Of course, they make Desert Eagles here, so I probably shouldn't talk.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Arizona's state gun is the Colt Single Action Army revolver, which I do not own. I wonder if I'd get credit with a modern SA like a Ruger Blackhawk? After all, it's made in Arizona at the Ruger factory.

Reactions: wizard7mm08

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Is this a trick question? :embarassed:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts