Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Administrator
143,475 Posts
True. Nobody wants to be perforated with any Lead of any caliber. And nobody wants to get a #2 Pencil slammed into their eyeball either & that's graphite and not even Lead. LOL
Followed up with two Extra Strength Tylenol - Interesting/Informative thread Tangle.
I'm pretty decent with Addition & Subtraction + toss in a smidge of Multiplication - beyond that....I just let you do the heavy lifting and I say "Uh Huh!" & (based on past forum experience) I believe you.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Based on what I've seen as a paramedic and as a police officer, 00 remains my defensive choice

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
My 32 auto shoots a 70 gr bullet at 1000 fps muzzle velocity. That would be more comparable to a single pellet of 00 buck. I know the 32 auto is deadly "If " you hit some body part that the BG cant do without.
My own personal Buck load is #4 buck at around 1200 FPS. its performance is more like a single pellet = a 22 LR. But it achieves its killing power from having so many bullets moving at once!
I mostly use this load on Coyote sized predators, I picked #4 because it gives me a nice round pattern at 35 yards that is near 30" across. It works well on moving coyotes! And I have killed a few that only had 1 or 2 holes in them. So I'm convinced that a 1 pellet hit [in the right spot] will put an end to their predator ways! All those extra pellets just give me that many more chances to hit something vital. DR

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Death by a thousand cuts comes to mind. Maybe not much damage by individual pellets, but combined? Hamburger. That's quite a lot of psychological damage to add to the physical damage. That's why shotguns have a better record of stopping varmints, four-legged and two-legged. And forget about the low recoil. 12 Ga kick isn't that bad.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One of the reasons I like the .410 000Buck loads for SD (from a full-size shotgun, Judges need not apply) is that one 3-5 pellet round is like getting hit with a burst from a Skorpion submachine gun. Historically, those have proven to be good stoppers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
8 rounds of 12 ga. 00 buck from my old Winchester Defender should be more than adequate.

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Again, this thread does not question or otherwise address the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of anything. It is merely giving a comparison of the energy of an individual 00 pellet fired from an 18" 12 ga barrel to the energy of a .380 fired from a 2-3 inch barrel.

I found it quite surprising, as I'm sure most would, that a single 12 ga pellet has no more energy than a .380.

If there's a take-away here it shows what a difference teamwork can make.

161 - 167 of 167 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.