Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard people talk about having a "truck gun" in addition to a typical handgun in their vehicles. I figured the truck gun is something longer/bigger than a typical pistol.

Do you keep a longer gun in your vehicle (rifle, AR pistol, other)?
If so, what do you ride with?
Why did you decide to carry this in your vehicle?
How do you store it legally while still making accessible?

Thanks for your thoughts

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I do not. My thought on it, is that if Im in a fight, the gun on my belt is what Im going to use. I am not fighting my way back to my car to get another gun...

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I put a rifle along with a ghb in the vehicle when we are on long road trips ...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Nope, can't say that I have one. If I'm in my vehicle, I'm armed, so I don't really see the need for a dedicated truck/car gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG S7 Active using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
I always have a handgun on me, but the thought has crossed my mind to keep a long gun of some sort in the vehicle. More than anything, just to have options.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I keep an sks or the 357 lever gun in the truck. Though armed on my person with a pistol, I frequent places out in the middle of nowhere in the Superstition mountains. A rifle at the ready may be better for some scenarios I may run into;

·
Registered
38,990 Posts
My truck is my primary transport. In FL, I can legally keep a loaded rifle in a zippered case, my preference behind the seat in my standard cab truck. However, I resist having to leave a rifle in an unoccupied vehicle, so I have not opted to carry a truck gun wherever I go.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I carry my EDC on my person, and I do have a G17 with 3 mags in the well of one the passenger seats in my truck. The G17 is comforting if I'm just (however rarely) carrying a J-frame. I'm considering a Mossberg Shockwave as it is a potent and perfectly sized "truck gun." I can load it with buck and slugs and keep a box of whatever handy.

I do think a lever gun (as mentioned above) is a great option, one I will consider when I locate a .357.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I keep an sks or the 357 lever gun in the truck. Though armed on my person with a pistol, I frequent places out in the middle of nowhere in the Superstition mountains. A rifle at the ready may be better for some scenarios I may run into;
The Hills Have Eyes

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I keep a .357 lever action carbine in my ride. I figure needing to abandon my vehicle 15-20+ miles from the home in the case of a shtf scenario is as likely as needing my EDC in a SD situation. In that scenario (earthquakes, riots, ...) I want to sling that over my shoulder, grab my GHB and start hoofin’ it home as all my treasures here on earth are usually there. The fact that it can share ammo with my EDC is handy. The fact that it is substantially more powerful than my EDC and yet still crazy light is also handy.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
In that situation, I would too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG S7 Active using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I don't always have a long gun in my vehicle.
That said, during hunting season, I often have a long gun with. What, depends on what I am currently hunting. The last few years it has most often been coyote.
My favorite is a 16" lever action in 45 Colt, but sometimes it gets bumped for the 30-30, 243, or the mini-14 once the crops are out due to the longer distances.

Oh, did I mention that coyote season is year round? >;~}

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,151 Posts
I do not normally have a long gun in my vehicle in the local urban area. Depending on where we are going, what we are doing, and how long we are staying, I may throw a lever-action rifle or AR in the trunk with a few boxes or magazines of ammo.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Do you keep a longer gun in your vehicle (rifle, AR pistol, other)? Yes, a Marlin 336 Lever Gun. The youth model (16" barrel) in 30-30

Why did you decide to carry this in your vehicle? I've always liked a long gun in my car. When you need a rifle, you need your rifle. A handgun is nice, but it's not anywhere as effective as a long gun.

When I lived in the city, I put a shotgun in the trunk. It would do just about anything I would need in the city. But when I took a job out in the country, the spaces started to open up and a rifle was a better idea. I didn't want an AR. If I pull it out to take care of an animal that I hit limping away... I don't want to look like some kind of commando (I know, I know).

As much as I love my 30-30, and I do, out here in Central KS, a Ruger American in 270 or even the 6.5 might be more what one would want. There are long patches of nothing out here. But it's all good. This summer I'm moving back to the city full time.

How do you store it legally while still making accessible? The laws in KS see your car as an extension of your house. So I could have it anywhere I want - loaded. But unless it's hunting season, you don't see many folks with their long guns accessible. I keep mine in the trunk.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I sometimes carry an AR Pistol in either 5.56 or .300 BLK in a tennis racquet bag when we are going through places where the artillery might be needed. Since it is a pistol, it is covered by my license to carry concealed. In Texas you can legally open carry a rifle or shotgun openly to most places, but that attracts too much attention for me. The only issue is, if we are both out of the vehicle, I let my wife carry the tennis bag. She looks more like she would play the game than me. :embarassed:

She has a license too.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I keep a long gun in my truck. Its a tool like my EDC But more suited for its job. My pocket carried gun would not be the right tool for shooting a coyote across a 200 yard field. Or an impromptu hunt if one presented itself. Large open spaces are not the right place for a pocket gun any more than I'd feel at home carrying a long gun in town.

My long guns are not in easy access areas. One truck has a locking tray under the back seat, the other has a cross bed tool box that I added a padded bottom for my guns. DR

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Not yet, but soon!

Reactions: Militant
1 - 20 of 147 Posts