Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
I bet any secured storage could be easily defeated.
Probably would apply for most, but I don't lump all into one category. Most people are content with a small 18GA steel clam shell cabled to their seat frame, and for those I would agree. There are better, more secure choices available, but they cost more than $30. The better lock boxes will at least be a deterrent for most car break ins.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I had one hanging on a rack over my back window years ago when I lived in a tiny town outside of Austin, Tx.
I began to get concerned about smash and grab theft after a while, and moved it behind the seat.

Now it seems not well-advised at all, as my handgun serves my purposes and I have another one in a gun
safe cabled to the seat frame under the seat.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Guns stolen from vehicles continues to rise as more and more people carry and leave guns in vehicles. Most of the stolen ones were not secured other than being in the vehicle. Additional secured storage would be a plus with a truck gun, especially in an urban environment.
Anyone with a serious firearms collection should consider a reputable firearms insurance policy. It covers firearms, optics, and yes even ammunition at home and anywhere else including a vehicle. I don't leave my vehicles in the garage locked up because I am afraid they would get stolen, why would I not treat my firearms collection the same way.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Anyone with a serious firearms collection should consider a reputable firearms insurance policy. It covers firearms, optics, and yes even ammunition at home and anywhere else including a vehicle. I don't leave my vehicles in the garage locked up because I am afraid they would get stolen, why would I not treat my firearms collection the same way.
Me personally, it's not just about loss of property. It's that I don't want one of my firearms in the hands of a criminal to be used in a crime/murder all because I left it unattended in my vehicle. The only insurance I have against that is to not leave a firearm unattended in my car.

I've done so at work being that my car is parked in a private and monitored parking lot, when I visit my kids school, or when I have to go to the court house, other than that, all my firearms stay in my person when I'm out and about.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Me personally, it's not just about kids of property. It's that I don't want one of my firearms in the hands of a criminal to be used in a crime/murder all because I left it unattended in my vehicle.
If someone steals your vehicle then goes on to rob a store would you feel personally responsible for that?

I take every precaution I can to prevent a vehicle firearms theft. I designed and fabricated a system for my Jeep that uses the Blac-Rac weapons retention system that is used in law enforcement. I spent about 60 hours on the design and over $1000 to implement this system for the Jeep Wrangler. So I feel like I have done my part and would have no guilt about it knowing that I have done everything I could.

BLAC-RAC | Weapon Retention System

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
If someone steals your vehicle then goes on to rob a store would you feel personally responsible for that?

I take every precaution I can to prevent a vehicle firearms theft. I designed and fabricated a system for my Jeep that uses the Blac-Rac weapons retention system that is used in law enforcement. I spent about 60 hours on the design and over $1000 to implement this system for the Jeep Wrangler. So I feel like I have done my part and would have no guilt about it knowing that I have done everything I could.

I'll feel like I could have avoided it. I don't know much about that system, but if it is a secure way to store firearms in a car, lets be honest... Most people with "truck guns" aren't going to spend that much time or money on a system like that.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I take every precaution I can to prevent a vehicle firearms theft. I designed and fabricated a system for my Jeep that uses the Blac-Rac weapons retention [email protected];m that is used in law enforcement. I spent about 60 hours on the design and over $1000 to implement this system for the Jeep Wrangler. So I feel like I have done my part and would have no guilt about it knowing that I have done everything I could.

Maybe you know better than me. I just googled and none of the plethora of stories mentioned it either. In all reports of rifles that are being stolen from police vehicles,, are they not locked up? One story I just read mentioned that the officer forgot his assault rifle on the front seat with the intention of bringing into his home. In several other reports, the offer was on duty, but left their doors unlocked.. I would have assumed that their rifles would have been locked up at least...

If I got one, I'd have it in my trunk rather in the cab of my car.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
I am sure thankful I don't live where some of you guys do. If I have a "truck" gun its because its hunting season. The gun on my hip is all I carry for SD.
People invent needs to justify wants. Some people are unfamiliar with their state fish and game laws. They don't realize it could be a crime to be driving around with a loaded rifle or shotgun without a valid license, or game in season.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The way I look at it...the choice to carry a rifle in addition to handgun when in their vehicle is a personal choice.

I do not keep a dedicated rifle in my vehicle. I usually bring one when I am out in the woods or traveling long distances.

Depending on the envirionment, it might be the Sub-2000, Pistol AR, or AR10.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
I am sure thankful I don't live where some of you guys do. If I have a "truck" gun its because its hunting season. The gun on my hip is all I carry for SD.
The same statement could be made about carrying a handgun on your hip. Do you live somewhere that you actually need to carry a handgun? I don’t, and I’d be willing to bet the majority of people on here don’t either. Yet I carry a handgun in the unforeseen event that I’ll need to use it.

The same could be said about truck guns. It doesn’t have to be some ghetto. I remember one night at Whataburger on 82nd in Lubbock, Tx (which is the nicer calmer part of Lubbock) a group of 5 guys in their 20’s drove up to the parking lot in this Explorer and assaulted this girl and her friend. Luckily they were scared enough to flee when they saw my handgun but I honestly wished I had a shotgun with me at the time.

That’s why I carry a mossberg shockwave now. Not because I live in the slums(I actually live in a smaller city near lubbock in the safest part of town) but because it happens. The same reason I now carry a fire extinguisher. I’d rather be over prepared than caught with my pants down. I think the majority of people on here have a truck gun for the same reason. It’s just a tool just like why I carry a knife. I don’t think I’m some assassin it’s just a tool. Plus sometimes a sledgehammer is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,667 Posts
A few years ago a coworker was assisting a local agency with a guy that had just shot up the Sheriffs office/county court. It started car to car and quickly moved to over 500 yards where the BG was shooting at him with a 30-06. But then again in this country you can see 30 miles.
First, seeing 30 miles is figurative. But 4-6 miles is still beyond shooting distance. I can't imagine a bolt action rifle at 500 yards from a moving vehicle would be effective.

Second, you are talking about people with the legal authority to hunt humans with duty weapons in duty vehicles. I thought this was about the standard citizen.
Some clarification is in order here.

It isn't necessary to explain Bad Bob's 30 miles as being figurative . 4-6 mile distances weren't even discussed. A .30-06 at 500 yards is effective indeed if its bullet strikes you and it's not difficult to place the cartridge's bullets on target at that distance. Lawmen don't "hunt humans with duty weapons in duty vehicles," but rather they enforce the law to our benefit. Nothing in this thread's title or its opening post limits discussion to a "standard citizen" which seems to imply that that lawmen are somehow "non-standard citizens. Lawmen are fellow American citizens.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I also carry a spare tire, a fire extinguisher, ham radio, vehicle insurance, and an extra credit card. I usually don't need to use any of those things.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Some clarification is in order here.

It isn't necessary to explain Bad Bob's 30 miles as being figurative . 4-6 mile distances weren't even discussed. A .30-06 at 500 yards is effective indeed if its bullet strikes you and it's not difficult to place the cartridge's bullets on target at that distance. Lawmen don't "hunt humans with duty weapons in duty vehicles," but rather they enforce the law to our benefit. Nothing in this thread's title or its opening post limits discussion to a "standard citizen" which seems to imply that that lawmen are somehow "non-standard citizens. Lawmen are fellow American citizens.
Bob's shooting 30 miles requires him standing atop an (approximately) 400 foot water tower. This is beyond howitzer artillery range. I'm cutting him some slack.
Bob's suggestion that defending oneself from a sniper at 500 yards is beyond any reasonable assumption of self defense.
"Hunting humans" was facetious in that shooting people at these ranges cannot reasonably be considered self defense. I have trained to, and succeeded at placing effective fire on man size silhouettes at 800m. If asked to do so, I hope the order would have been lawful, but the ordinary US citizen would have great difficulty justifying such an act.
Law enforcement certainly has a different set of rules. A police sniper can justifiably make shots that would put others in legal jeopardy.
Lawmen are fellow citizens, but their duty requires a different level of operating procedures. I don't think we need to drag further into this hole to pull out case law to prove this well established point.

·
Registered
691 Posts
As I have stated in an earlier post, I carry a .32 Win Spl and 2 boxes of ammo in the trunk of my wife's car. If we go off any distance at all, it will be in that car.

I don't drive around looking for trouble BUT in today's world, ANYTHING could happen at a moments notice and we may be miles from home with a Glock , M&P Pistol, or a little Colt Cobra.

I just feel better having a rifle of some sort as a get me home gun. Many people are attacked from beyond pistol distances and I would feel much better to be able to return fire.

The car is parked here at home or when my wife works, in a very secure area so I am not concerned about theft.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
The same statement could be made about carrying a handgun on your hip. Do you live somewhere that you actually need to carry a handgun? I don’t, and I’d be willing to bet the majority of people on here don’t either. Yet I carry a handgun in the unforeseen event that I’ll need to use it.

The same could be said about truck guns. It doesn’t have to be some ghetto. I remember one night at Whataburger on 82nd in Lubbock, Tx (which is the nicer calmer part of Lubbock) a group of 5 guys in their 20’s drove up to the parking lot in this Explorer and assaulted this girl and her friend. Luckily they were scared enough to flee when they saw my handgun but I honestly wished I had a shotgun with me at the time.

That’s why I carry a mossberg shockwave now. Not because I live in the slums(I actually live in a smaller city near lubbock in the safest part of town) but because it happens. The same reason I now carry a fire extinguisher. I’d rather be over prepared than caught with my pants down. I think the majority of people on here have a truck gun for the same reason. It’s just a tool just like why I carry a knife. I don’t think I’m some assassin it’s just a tool. Plus sometimes a sledgehammer is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You will never be prepared enough in your own mind. I can always give you scenarios where you will be pathetically unprepared no matter what you "feel" you are prepared for. I have to say as well that the new fad of the Shockwave type weapon is great if your robbing a 7 -11 and you own a trench coat. For self defense they are a terrible joke and made to take advantage of peoples fantasies. Sorry but almost anything else would be more effective than a sawed off no stock shotgun. Its the same crowd who thought a .410 handgun was "badass".

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, from truck gun to philosophy all in one paragraph, that I was not prepared for. I should have read my Plato before jumping into this thread.

·
Super Moderator
18,667 Posts
Bob's shooting 30 miles requires him standing atop an (approximately) 400 foot water tower. This is beyond howitzer artillery range. I'm cutting him some slack.

Reread Bob's posts and it will become clear.

Bob never said he was shooting 30 miles but only made the observation that one could see a water tower from 30 miles. So, it matters not how tall a water tower 30 miles distant would be. No mention is made of shooting howitzers from from the tops of 400 ft. water towers at targets 30 miles away.

Bob's suggestion that defending oneself from a sniper at 500 yards is beyond any reasonable assumption of self defense.

It could be appropriate for a lawman to put a stop to a lawless sniper from 500 yards away. Bob didn't suggest that one should always go on the offensive against assailants who are 500 yards away.

"Hunting humans" was facetious in that shooting people at these ranges cannot reasonably be considered self defense.

So it's ok to facetiously use the phrase: "hunting humans," yet unacceptable to facetiously use the phrase: "Can see for 30 miles?"

I have trained to, and succeeded at placing effective fire on man size silhouettes at 800m. If asked to do so, I hope the order would have been lawful, but the ordinary US citizen would have great difficulty justifying such an act. Law enforcement certainly has a different set of rules. A police sniper can justifiably make shots that would put others in legal jeopardy.
Lawmen are fellow citizens, but their duty requires a different level of operating procedures. I don't think we need to drag further into this hole to pull out case law to prove this well established point.

It has already been pointed out in my previous post that the lawman is not excluded from participating in this thread. It is fine for lawmen to participate in this thread to the extent of relating their own experiences and views. You keep bringing up "standard" or "ordinary" citizens in a way that would imply that the lawman is some preternatural citizen. Lawmen are ordinary citizens of this nation. Let's hear their views and experiences too.

Moderation is cutting you some slack. This thread will not be dragged into any holes. Give it a rest.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts