Defensive Carry banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
I was going to add this. If one feels or believes they are prepared for some event and the event never happens does that mean they were prepared or unprepared? In other words does the event need to be manifest in order to give meaning to the thought?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I was going to add this. If one feels or believes they are prepared for some event and the event never happens does that mean they were prepared or unprepared? In other words does the event need to be manifest in order to give meaning to the thought?
Is that some kind of Zen riddle? :wink:

I've been known to leave my SKS rifle with 30-50 rounds on 10-round stripper clips in the covered hatch section of my car for a few days after a trip to the range.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You will never be prepared enough in your own mind. I can always give you scenarios where you will be pathetically unprepared no matter what you "feel" you are prepared for. I have to say as well that the new fad of the Shockwave type weapon is great if your robbing a 7 -11 and you own a trench coat. For self defense they are a terrible joke and made to take advantage of peoples fantasies. Sorry but almost anything else would be more effective than a sawed off no stock shotgun. Its the same crowd who thought a .410 handgun was "badass".
Again I started carrying a truck gun because of something that I actually experienced. You carry a handgun and I’m 99% sure you do not need to even draw your weapon in defense at least once a year yet you still carry correct? So where is the line of what is too much defense and what isn’t? I don’t see how the shockwave even relates to that. I’m curious have you even ever handled one? Same crowd as the .410 pistol eh? That’s funny because I could of sworn the 12ga had a lot more oomph than a .410 but I guess I could be wrong. I guess SBR’s would fit in the same category too? What about AR pistols?

Because no one in the world could possibly handle a shockwave without a stock and be accurate. I forgot that once there is no stock and the barrel goes down to 14” it becomes obsolete I mean I could never hit a human sized target within 15 yards much less a group of people 20 yards. I guess it isn’t possible the majority of truck guns are short barreled and stockless or some sort of folding stock style weapon because it’s going to be easier to maneuver inside your vehicle. That definitely couldn’t be it. We just got them to rob the stereotypical 7/11 even though those aren’t as common where I live.

It’s funny how you see no stock and short barrel and all of a sudden it’s one category of people. It couldn’t be possible that there’s a method behind the madness. If you don’t carry a truck gun that’s fine and dandy I could care less. I just don’t see the justification that a handgun is okay even for safe areas but a truck gun must mean they live in the ghetto. If you carry to defend yourself you do it for the unforeseen not because you live in Juarez. If you carry a truck gun you are preparing for a threat larger than one or two people armed with knives. If you carry a weapon with no stock and a short barrel you might be thinking hey when the adrenaline gets pumping I don’t want to be the one banging my barrel against my dash and getting it caught on something. I have no clue how you could come to the conclusion that it’s only for robbing 7/11’s. Unless your one of those people that see someone or something and automatically categorize and pass judgement. Like some people see tattoos and they say oh he’s scum. Or oh he has a shockwave he’s a gangbanger or he’s tacticool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
Is that some kind of Zen riddle? :wink:
That may well be. But, my point is that debating whether someone is prepared or not prepared for some future event is pointless. One cannot predict if oneself or someone else is prepared for some particular unrealized event unless they can see into the future. If the event doesn't occur then one can argue that they were prepared.

For example, I believe I am prepared for a Tyrannosaurus rex attack on my house. It is not possible to prove that I am not.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
So when the Austin police asked for help from the public with Charles Whitman were any of those rifles people brought "Truck guns"?

Whitman was engaging at five hundred yards in an urban environment. While it is less likely now that more agencies are arming officers with rifles than they had in the past, there is still no guarantee that sufficient numbers will be on hand at any given time. LAPD even with their storied SWAT teams had to borrow rifles during the North Hollywood shootout because the initial response was totally outgunned.

While these are exceptionally rare events they do prove that stuff that the antis call gun owner Rambo type fantasies do in fact occur. If one has the misfortune to find themselves in the middle of such an event I don't think anyone would complain about having too many options to choose from.

People do need to be aware of their local laws regarding long guns in vehicles. Fortunately for some of us, Texas has no laws regarding long guns.

·
Super Moderator
24,192 Posts
Prepared.

No. Of course not.

Remember the tree in the forest?

:rofl:

We are prepared nonetheless. A 30-30 resides in my truck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also keep one in my EDC bag, which because of work restrictions, has to stay in my truck while I am at work but I am able to park right outside my office door. M&P 9 with 4 mags

·
Registered
366 Posts
When I'm on a road trip, or at the beach or Ranch I have a 38/357Mag Lever rifle with a 16 inch barrel that a joy to shoot and very accurate for open sites! I call it my truck gun.

Reactions: demanic and AZS4

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would but my carry license is not honored in the state where I work, DE:frown:. Additionally PA links LTCF info to drivers licenses, needless to say I ain't risking it.

·
Registered
38,981 Posts
So when the Austin police asked for help from the public with Charles Whitman were any of those rifles people brought "Truck guns"?
Yes, a rifle in the window rack was common back then (did it myself for years), but today you'd just have a bunch of trucks with broken windows.

My 2014 Chevy truck seat won't move forward enough nor will the seat back tilt forward enough to get behind the seat to access a firearm behind the seat (standard cab). Kind of worthless for storing a truck gun.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
While I do have the GHB in my truck w/an extra gun, a few extra mags and ammo (I lock my gun in a lock box when exiting the vehicle and then I take it inside my house for the night); I don't have the proverbial "truck gun" that I live in my truck at all times however, I'm working on picking up something else to roll with me when I'm in my truck though. Maybe something like this....

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Traveling: yes, at least my M4.

Something like 1,000+ vehicles a month stolen in the general area I reside: I view my truck, as about as safe as a dollar laying on the sidewalk of New York City, so NO! The G20 I carry is stoked with rounds close to rifle ballistics, with two spare mags.

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
No. It means they planned for the worst but the best happened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
we are allowed to posses, in our vehicle or home, a handgun without a ccw. i leave my shield 9mm in a pocket holster, secured in the vehicle. therefore my wife has access to a weapon while alone, and i have means to pocket carry if need arises.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
While I do have the GHB in my truck w/an extra gun, a few extra mags and ammo (I lock my gun in a lock box when exiting the vehicle and then I take it inside my house for the night); I don't have the proverbial "truck gun" that I live in my truck at all times however, I'm working on picking up something else to roll with me when I'm in my truck though. Maybe something like this....

That thing has TRUCK written all over it, Brother Mil ! :headbang:

·
Registered
347 Posts
My new truck gun is an ar pistol that looks eerily similar to Bad Bobs with a red dot. I've got BUIS on mine, sits in a case with 2x30's [ one in the gun ] on a coupler, and 6 30's in the outside pouc . - 2 per mag [ 28 per ] for a total of 224 rds on board. It replaces either the 357 lever or sks now.
May I ask what scenario you're preparing for? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Again I started carrying a truck gun because of something that I actually experienced. You carry a handgun and I’m 99% sure you do not need to even draw your weapon in defense at least once a year yet you still carry correct? So where is the line of what is too much defense and what isn’t? I don’t see how the shockwave even relates to that. I’m curious have you even ever handled one? Same crowd as the .410 pistol eh? That’s funny because I could of sworn the 12ga had a lot more oomph than a .410 but I guess I could be wrong. I guess SBR’s would fit in the same category too? What about AR pistols?

Because no one in the world could possibly handle a shockwave without a stock and be accurate. I forgot that once there is no stock and the barrel goes down to 14” it becomes obsolete I mean I could never hit a human sized target within 15 yards much less a group of people 20 yards. I guess it isn’t possible the majority of truck guns are short barreled and stockless or some sort of folding stock style weapon because it’s going to be easier to maneuver inside your vehicle. That definitely couldn’t be it. We just got them to rob the stereotypical 7/11 even though those aren’t as common where I live.

It’s funny how you see no stock and short barrel and all of a sudden it’s one category of people. It couldn’t be possible that there’s a method behind the madness. If you don’t carry a truck gun that’s fine and dandy I could care less. I just don’t see the justification that a handgun is okay even for safe areas but a truck gun must mean they live in the ghetto. If you carry to defend yourself you do it for the unforeseen not because you live in Juarez. If you carry a truck gun you are preparing for a threat larger than one or two people armed with knives. If you carry a weapon with no stock and a short barrel you might be thinking hey when the adrenaline gets pumping I don’t want to be the one banging my barrel against my dash and getting it caught on something. I have no clue how you could come to the conclusion that it’s only for robbing 7/11’s. Unless your one of those people that see someone or something and automatically categorize and pass judgement. Like some people see tattoos and they say oh he’s scum. Or oh he has a shockwave he’s a gangbanger or he’s tacticool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, your inside a confined space which is one of your reasons for defending a ridiculous firearm like a Shockwave right? Now you have a weapon in that confined space that has to be fired and cycled with two hands...correct? Or do you have such low power loads that you can fire that thing one handed? Doesn't that sort of defeat the "power" of the 12 gauge? Having to use two hands seems to me to be self defeating with multiple attackers as you suggest. How is a 6 shot two handed gun superior in any way to say a Glock 17? Or maybe one for each hand since your hands are occupied anyway?
You are buying a "cool" factor and are just looking for excuses to justify the stupid thing.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
So, your inside a confined space which is one of your reasons for defending a ridiculous firearm like a Shockwave right? Now you have a weapon in that confined space that has to be fired and cycled with two hands...correct? Or do you have such low power loads that you can fire that thing one handed? Doesn't that sort of defeat the "power" of the 12 gauge? Having to use two hands seems to me to be self defeating with multiple attackers as you suggest. How is a 6 shot two handed gun superior in any way to say a Glock 17? Or maybe one for each hand since your hands are occupied anyway?
You are buying a "cool" factor and are just looking for excuses to justify the stupid thing.
That ridiculous firearm fills a very specific role that others may be used, but not as effectively. Think witness security (BTDT) where I was issued a short double barreled 12g to augment my sidearm. The option of a pump with multiple shots would have been a vast improvement!

Yea, the average civilian probably doesn't need one, but who am I to make that call?

121 - 140 of 147 Posts