Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On your homeowner's insurance as is normally done with valuable items? I can't decide how I feel about there being a list somewhere of all of the guns I have. Well ok, I know how I feel about but I can't decide if I like not having that list or not having insurance less.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Well, "they" already know about any gun you've bought on a 4473 anyway, (though they shouldn't) so it's a moot point for any you've gotten that way.

Any you've inherited or bought P2P or any such that are not recorded on a 4473 you could keep off the list and they would be true "ghosts" - LOL (stupid term)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any you've inherited or bought P2P or any such that are not recorded on a 4473 you could keep off the list and they would be true "ghosts" - LOL (stupid term)
that's my dilemma... The ones that have come my way 'off the record' have by far the most value.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I have an Access database with most of my valuables listed. I include photos, serial numbers, models, descriptions, when I bought it, the approximate value, etc. I keep an updated version on a DVD and I keep one copy in my home safe and take another one with me if I have to evacuate for a hurricane. I don't provide the insurance company with a detailed list. I just give them the approximate total value.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
By your title I thought you meant for medical checkups or something. :smile:

most of mine aren't listed just because I haven't gotten to it yet but a few are. If your worried about them giving the info away look into a policy with the NRA or someone like that. I've seen numerous adds about coverage for your weapons available.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an Access database with most of my valuables listed. I include photos, serial numbers, models, descriptions, when I bought it, the approximate value, etc. I keep an updated version on a DVD and I keep one copy in my home safe and take another one with me if I have to evacuate for a hurricane. I don't provide the insurance company with a detailed list. I just give them the approximate total value.
That's an interesting approach... can I ask what insurance co and if they've indicated that's sufficient to have coverage in place? I understand if you'd rather pass...

·
Super Moderator
18,433 Posts
Firearms are listed, described, serial numbers noted and photographed. Photos of each firearm are kept. I also purchase a separate policy on the firearms and other collectibles. It's a little under $300 per year.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
That's an interesting approach... can I ask what insurance co and if they've indicated that's sufficient to have coverage in place? I understand if you'd rather pass...
I don't remember the name of the company, but I discussed it with my insurance agent when I purchased the policy and they approved that approach.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
that's my dilemma... The ones that have come my way 'off the record' have by far the most value.
There's a record that you own a gun at some point of time (you could have since sold it) just like well over 100 million of other Americans. What do you fear will happen because it probably will not be in our or our children's life times.

I would not worry about it. If someone steals your firearms or if they are damaged in a fire, etc, aren't you going to have to tell them and/or law enforcement at that time so you can be compensated?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would not worry about it. If someone steals your firearms or if they are damaged in a fire, etc, aren't you going to have to tell them and/or law enforcement at that time so you can be compensated?
Good point there...

·
Registered
489 Posts
The ATF and local police are already aware of any firearms you have purchased through an FFL. There is already a list of the guns you own. If you don't want your insurance company to have a complete list, only insure some guns with them, and the rest with another insurance provider.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The ATF and local police are already aware of any firearms you have purchased through an FFL. There is already a list of the guns you own. If you don't want your insurance company to have a complete list, only insure some guns with them, and the rest with another insurance provider.
It's illegal for them to retain the forms. They're supposed to be destroyed after 60 or 90 days. Even if they do keep them, they're not going to give them to you because they would have to admit to breaking the law.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts