Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first rifle, a Browning BLR-22 still sits in my safe without a scope. During my younger years I had not interest in scopes thinking that they were no necessary for .22's and introduced another point of potential failure. I assume that this is largely a function of the are where I grew up shooting. When hitting the back acreage, we normally shot at distances 25 yards and less at stationary targets.

Recently, my thoughts on the topic have changed a bit. A scope, even of moderate magnification, can really increase your hit potential for small game, and if the ranges are extended. I'm now thinking that each of my .22's ought to be wearing a scope. This decision is even easier now that I've found Warne QD rings for 11mm and 3/8" rails so I can easily move back to Irons for a shooting session. Right now I'm planning on mounting 4x scopes.

Do you scope all of your rimfire rifles? Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks!
Clay

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
No, my Henry doesn't and won't have a scope. That is what my .17 HMR is for.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
My Henry H-OO1 does not have a scope, it doesn't feel right IMHO. My S&W MP-15-22 is set up with with Magpul irons just like my S&W MP-15 so that it is a good AR trainer. My Savage .17 HMR does have a Nikon 3x9x40 due to its intended purpose (groundhogs out to about 150 yards).

·
Registered
301 Posts
My first firearm was a ruger 10/22 with a cheap ninety dollar Simmons on a see thru mount that allowed use of the iron sights. It was the most fun I've ever had with a firearm, it wasn't uncommon for me to go through 2 550 round bricks in a day...

·
Registered
94 Posts
My Ruger 10/22 does not. Always used it squirrel hunting when I was a kid, found it easier to line up the sights then searching for a fast moving target through a scope. However, my grandfather handed down an old .22 lever action to me (not even sure what it is exactly) and I left the scope on it that it came with. I've used both to hunt small game, but prefer iron sights.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Don't have a .22 rifle, but I do have a Henry .22 mag with a Leopold scope.

·
Super Moderator
20,266 Posts
Most but not all my rimfire rifles wear scopes. Two of the five 10/22s have irons, but one of them has Garand-like Tech sights, and one is dead stock.

And of course the 1890 Winchester isn't scoped.

·
Super Moderator
19,017 Posts
Mixed , some are , others are not. Depending on the application a magnified optic can be useful or slow you down.

·
Administrator
144,941 Posts
My Weatherby XXII sports a fine scope that came with the rifle and it's a tack driver so it is staying on. My Remington Nylon 66 has a vintage (rare) Thompson Center INSTA-SIGHT on it...not really a "scope" but one of the first "light gathering optics with an illuminated reticule" and I love it so it stays on.
All of my other .22s are Iron Sights.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used to think scopes on a 22 were a waste. Iron sights were the only way to go. Heck, I used to think most rifle shots below 500 yds were fine only using iron sights. After trying to engage a bobcat in the dark one night that was attacking a dog, I now have scopes on a majority of the 22 rifles (and I threw away the 25 year old flashlight my wife grabbed so she would get the good one next time).

I also have trouble seeing a target at 500 yds around a set of iron sights now, so I'd say age and eyesight plays a large factor in your decision.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
One wears a Simmons Whitetail Classic 2.5-8X36 and another wears a cheap Powerline 3-9X32. I don't see the need to scope the others, it would be expensive too.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
yes and no..... I have an old 22 lever gun that I would not discrace withg a scope, but my model 60 wears a 4x scope at all times.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I recently removed the scope from my bolt action .22 for 2 reasons. The first is the scarcity of .22 ammo means I'm using whatever I can find, and I was tired of adjusting the scope every time I went shooting. The second was that shooting with irons is more challenging and rewarding to me

·
Super Moderator
20,266 Posts
Actually, the 10/22 I use for the tactical steel matches has had a red dot optic on it for a while. For fast, non-precision shooting, this is the ticket and the field of view is equal to or better than open sights. But the local match I shoot is biased more toward the longer-distance, precision stage so I just swapped over to an illuminated reticle, 3x scope and I'm still evaluating which is better.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts