Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have heard rumblings of this sort of thing for a long time. Never knew whether to give it any weight or not. Anyway, this was posted by a subscriber to Randy Cain's email forum:

U.S. Brings Back the .45

January 27, 2006: After two decades of use, the U.S. Department of Defense is getting rid of its Beretta M9 9mm pistol, and going back to the 11.4mm(.45 caliber) weapon. There have been constant complaints about the lesser (compared to the .45) hitting power of the 9mm. And in the last few years,SOCOM (Special Operations Command) and the marines have officially adopted.45 caliber pistols as "official alternatives" to the M9 Beretta. But now SOCOM has been given the task of finding a design that will be suitable as the JCP (Joint Combat Pistol). Various designs are being evaluated, but all must be .45 caliber and have a eight round magazine (at least), and high capacity mags holding up to 15. The new .45 will also have a rail up top forattachments, and be able to take a silencer. Length must be no more than 9.65 inches, and width no more than 1.53 inches.

The M1911 .45 caliber pistol that the 9mm Beretta replaced in 1985, was, as its nomenclature implied, an old design. There are several modern designs out there for .45 caliber pistols that are lighter, carry more ammo and are easier to maintain than the pre-World War I M1911 (which is actually about a century old, as a design). The Department of Defense plans to buy 645,000 JCPs.

SOCOM will, with input from other branches, handle the evaluation and final selection.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That's the word on the street anyway. It's actually not new news and has been talked about pretty much on the 1911 forum, but has for some reason surfaced again due to postings that think it's new headlines.

So that tells me that the rumors are possibly coming true with this circulating around again with fresh postings. This has also come up again on the 1911 forum too.

Ti.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
This is what is over on Free Republic with over 364 replies so far. Here's a link:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1567466/posts

U.S. Brings Back the .45
Strategy Page ^ | January 27, 2006

Posted on 01/29/2006 2:14:04 PM EST by John Jorsett

After two decades of use, the U.S. Department of Defense is getting rid of its Beretta M9 9mm pistol, and going back to the 11.4mm (.45 caliber) weapon. There have been constant complaints about the lesser (compared to the .45) hitting power of the 9mm. And in the last few years, SOCOM (Special Operations Command) and the marines have officially adopted .45 caliber pistols as “official alternatives” to the M9 Beretta. But now SOCOM has been given the task of finding a design that will be suitable as the JCP (Joint Combat Pistol). Various designs are being evaluated, but all must be .45 caliber and have a eight round magazine (at least), and high capacity mags holding up to 15. The new .45 will also have a rail up top for attachments, and be able to take a silencer. Length must be no more than 9.65 inches, and width no more than 1.53 inches.

The M1911 .45 caliber pistol that the 9mm Beretta replaced in 1985, was, as its nomenclature implied, an old design. There are several modern designs out there for .45 caliber pistols that are lighter, carry more ammo and are easier to maintain than the pre-World War I M1911 (which is actually about a century old, as a design). The Department of Defense plans to buy 645,000 JCPs.

SOCOM will, with input from other branches, handle the evaluation and final selection. This will take place this year, and if the military moves with unaccustomed alacrity, troops could start getting their JCPs next year. But don’t hold your breath.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Euclidean said:
Didn't they just order like 70,000 more M9s though?
I don't think so, Euc. IIRC, I recently heard that Sig got a huge order (probably for federal LEOs) and that H&K got a sip from the federal teat...and I'll bet they'd like the order for the new 45 too! The M9's could be given to the various state national guards or the LE agencies that use them even if your recollection turns out to be correct.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yep - oldish rumor but certainly one which seems to gathering strength and momentum.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Im surprised there not looking at the 40 S&W you still get the small grip of the 9mm which was supposed to be why they swapped in the first place

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I thought it was because everyone else in NATO used 9x19.

If they meant to get a slimmer, smaller grip they screwed up. The M9 is a pig of a gun for its caliber. Of course that's not a bad thing per se, but it is a big gun.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
the nato thing is part of it somewhat but look as the 7.62X51 we got nato to use it then switched to 223... repamer ya can carry a lot more ammo on 9mm and 223 to spray and pray with ..

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Euclidean said:
...but I still won't believe it until I see it.
Me too, Euc.

Euclidean said:
...The M9 is a pig of a gun for its caliber. Of course that's not a bad thing per se, but it is a big gun....
Gee Euc, you just couldn't leave it alone; had to come out with the ole pig remark :biggrin2:

I've got a Vertec and I don't find it big per se, well no more big than a 1911, H&K USP, etc. 'Course I guess big is in the hands of the beholder, but pig of a gun????

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Bud White said:
Tangle i got big hands and like a big gun but im sorry the 92/M9 is a pig of a gun
I'm still chuckling at "pig of a gun" - never heard that before.

Apparently the Vertec is a totally different animal (pardon the pig, er pun), because it doesn't have a big grip. I guess I didn't realize there was such a difference between the Vertec and the 92/M9. Ha, Ha, pig of a gun - you guys.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
You're right Bud, the latest Joint Combat Pistol (JCP) System query is from 10 Aug. 05.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I still think it will be the Hk

Glock would be in the running if ...they had second strike capibilty and a external safety

But for most of the Grunts they will get the Hk i bet

Sig had a external safety they would be in the running but no there

heck i could be totally wrong and Ruger could get the contract

1 - 20 of 55 Posts