Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, I am referring to the USA National Anthem!

Regardless of being at sporting events, do you?

FOX news just played the usual awesome National Anthem that they do every night, and I rememberd my oath of office, stood up and saluted, towards the sound of the music!

And, below, Jennifer is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi!

My apologies, I knew these facts but did not put them in the origional post.

Law Now Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag as it has for several years now...

So, for us Marines = we can render a hand salute when not under cover/or arms, or in uniform. (that does not make us like the Army, it just makes us legit when we find ourselves in situations where we should salute, instead of the hand on the hart, to show our pride!..........just sayin!

A later amendment further authorized hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel. This was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14, 2008.

Here is the actual text from the law:

SEC. 595. MILITARY SALUTE FOR THE FLAG DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES NOT IN
UNIFORM AND BY VETERANS.

Section 301(b)(1) of title 36, United States Code, is amended by
striking subparagraphs (A) through (C) and inserting the following new
subparagraphs:
``(A) individuals in uniform should give the
military salute at the first note of the anthem and
maintain that position until the last note;
``(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who
are present but not in uniform may render the military
salute in the manner provided for individuals in
uniform; and
``(C) all other persons present should face the flag
and stand at attention with their right hand over the
heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should
remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it
at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart;

Note: Part (C) applies to those not in the military and non-veterans. The phrase "men not in uniform" refers to civil service uniforms like police, fire fighters, and letter carriers - non-veteran civil servants who might normally render a salute while in uniform.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Roger that!

Not only do I stand and salute, I very often get misty eyed.

Especially if the performer is rich and vibrant in their rendition as I am always remembering the sacrifice of the scores of men and women who never returned home.

Yes, I am proud of my service but for me, it is more about respect than pride.

Semper Fi.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I conform to (C), of course.

I see many baseball games wherein people stand and salute for "America the Beautiful", as if it were the anthem. I don't understand that one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didnt know I could properly salute the flag as did when I did a lot of salutin. I too get watery eyes but damn it I'm sentimental and I love this country. God bless America.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didnt know I could properly salute the flag as did when I did a lot of salutin. I too get watery eyes but damn it I'm sentimental and I love this country. God bless America.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
When I wore a uniform I'd go outside to observe colors when I heard attention, and I never understood the crapbirds who would run for the doors when attention to colors sounded. To me it was a great privilege to be one of the few who could salute, and I did not intend to waste a single one. In the NAV we only salute covered, and neither veterans nor active duty could salute out of uniform. I still put my hand on my heart. It just feels weird saluting uncovered and out of uniform...

·
Banned
12,069 Posts
If I am at an event where the National Anthem is played I stand up as straight as I can with my right hand over my heart.
I have seen (on YouTube) people who led off singing the Star Spangled Banner who don't know the words and it pissed me off. Any singer who doesn't know the words needs to step off and STHU.
The Star Spangled Banner is NOT a blues or rock and roll song. If they can't sing it correctly they can go straight to Hell. It's all about RESPECT.
I usually get misty eyed when I hear the National Anthem along with a few other tunes.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Marines are not to salute when in Civilian. CMC sent out a special instruction after the issuance of the Presidential order saying it violated our traditions and would not be allowed for any Marine, active or not.

The first serious, full out brawl I got into was when I was in flight school in the South with a buddy at a movie theater when they played the National Anthem and some "turds" (6 or 7 of them as I recall) sat there with their feet up on the chairs in front of them and were running their sucks. We started jerking them to their feet from the scruff of their necks and it started.

By the time we got done, with the help of a couple older gents, and before the police got there, we had won, but it was a close thing. When the cops got there, it turned out that one of the guys that helped us was a brother to the Sgt on the scene. The cops let us go, the theater had the turds tossed out, we got our tickets refunded and got to watch the movie for free.

So the answer is yes, on my feet, at attention for the National Anthem (and the Marines Hymn for me) and if you aren't on your feet you will be if I can get to you.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Chorizo;bt424 said:
Marines are not to salute when in Civilian. CMC sent out a special instruction after the issuance of the Presidential order saying it violated our traditions and would not be allowed for any Marine, active or not.

The first serious, full out brawl I got into was when I was in flight school in the South with a buddy at a movie theater when they played the National Anthem and some "turds" (6 or 7 of them as I recall) sat there with their feet up on the chairs in front of them and were running their sucks. We started jerking them to their feet from the scruff of their necks and it started.

By the time we got done, with the help of a couple older gents, and before the police got there, we had won, but it was a close thing. When the cops got there, it turned out that one of the guys that helped us was a brother to the Sgt on the scene. The cops let us go, the theater had the turds tossed out, we got our tickets refunded and got to watch the movie for free.

So the answer is yes, on my feet, at attention for the National Anthem (and the Marines Hymn for me) and if you aren't on your feet you will be if I can get to you.
Right on! I unfortunately was injured during AIT and could not finish my contract but nevertheless I salute! Injuries don't negate the oath I took.

At the end of last summer I attended a state league baseball game and during the National Anthem, which several NG members performed the raising of the flag, some punk kids were air guitaring and the biggest was mocking the lyrics. Since I was closest I dragged them to their feet and smacked the smile off the one with the stupid mouth. Afterwards man came up to me and shook my hand telling me he was a police officer (I thought I was going to go to jail) and thanked me for doing what he could not. Sad thing is that their behavior is probably influenced in some way by their teachers.

·
Banned
120 Posts
NONAME762;bt423 said:
If I am at an event where the National Anthem is played I stand up as straight as I can with my right hand over my heart.
I have seen (on YouTube) people who led off singing the Star Spangled Banner who don't know the words and it pissed me off. Any singer who doesn't know the words needs to step off and STHU.
The Star Spangled Banner is NOT a blues or rock and roll song. If they can't sing it correctly they can go straight to Hell. It's all about RESPECT.
I usually get misty eyed when I hear the National Anthem along with a few other tunes.
They should also be American! No more Canadians screwing up (Christina Aguillera, Justin Beiber, Celine Dion etc etc etc)

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Absolutely I do. When I'm in uniform I salute as we're allowed to as police officers. When not in uniform it's attention and hand over heart. P I S S E S me off to no end when I see idiots at games, etc not stand up or not take their hat off.
As Den leader in my son's Cub Scout pack I get to teach them how to do the flag ceremonies, how to stand at attention, and properly salute.
On the honor guard at the PD, nothing makes me more proud than being on the flag folding detail where we get to fold that veteran's flag properly to be presented to the family. I know how much it's appreciated since my dad's flag is in the display case in my mom's living room.
There are things in life that should be revered, respected, and honored, and Old Glory is definitely one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I after being off active duty for 10 years still stand out of respect for those whom were lost. Believe it or not I still get chills down my spine while standing there with my body locked!
Semper Fi!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have my whole life stood and placed my hand over my heart, and since I seperated from the Marine Corps, I have stood and saluted the flag, I don't care what others think and I don't need a law to honor my brothers/sisters who was lost and my love of this nation.

·
Banned
12,069 Posts
Like Jaeger it feels weird for me to salute out of uniform so I just place my hand over my heart.

I stand as still and straight as I can and hope my arthritis don't flair up.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I stand at attention and place my right hand over my heart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts