Defensive Carry banner

Should states mandate additional training in order to allow handgun carry?

• Yes! I want more mandated training!

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • No! We have enough mandates already!

Votes: 88 27.9%
  • I am not against more training as long as it is not mandatory.

Votes: 172 54.6%
  • I am undecided.

Votes: 6 1.9%
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very heated and long thread on a local forum that I am a member of.

A member there posted the question:

"Do you think more extensive training shouldbe mandated by the state in order to legally carry a concealed handgun?"

This thread has taken a life of its own and there are a few that commented that "additional training should be mandatory in order for people to carry a concealed handgun".

Basically, they are advocating that citizens should be mandated by the state to pay for additional training courses before they are allowed to carry a hidden handgun. They say the current standards are lousy, which may be correct, but that people are idiots until they are further trained and are not capable of properly defending themselves with a handgun.

What say you?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Its just another way for the Feds to control. Leave it as is

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its just another way for the Feds to control. Leave it as is
Please place a vote. I was posting poll as you answered. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm all for voluntarily taking more courses and learning as much as I can. However, the 2A doesn't say that we have a right to bear arms so long as we pass some classes...

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I say no. An NRA certified firearms safety class is good enough for me.

It benefits me and meets most states requirements.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am a CHL instructor in TX. The class requirements are a joke. I think the state should drop the shooting requirement and make the classroom portion an online option.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Not going into a long diatribe here... Simply that I believe the less government intrusion and mandates, the better for society. Let people be responsible for their actions and come down hard on them if they misuse their gun.

I voted, "not against more training as long as it is not mandatory"

Certainly the more training a person gets, the easier it is for him to be a responsible ccw carrier and less likely to have a tragedy. But the responsibility should all be on the gun owner and not demanded by the government.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I vote no. If we try to persuade people to be responsible, they will seek training without mandate. And more mandates won't stop irresponsibility or crime.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i believe there should be more mandatory training. i've been shooting guns and hunting well before i got my ccw. but if the average person who just got their gun went and took the ccw class i did and had to pass that simple shooting test can get a ccw. well i am worried about the armed citizens walking the streets of nevada. the 8 hour ccw class and the shooting test is not enough for a person to be responsible enough to carry concealed. i'm sure alot of the people in my class haven't gone shooting regularly since they passed the class and got their permit. shooting well is a perishable skill. knowing when to shoot is personal judgement.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
We did have a similar discussion on this board as well not too long ago. It is a very heated debate, that's for sure.

Personally, I believe that all training should be voluntary. It's the gun owners responsibility to be, well, responsible with their firearms. No amount of training will change someones habits if they don't want to change anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Before we worry about requiring more training for citizens to exercise their 2A Rights, how about grammer, ethics, and logic training mandated for journalist, economics, history, civics, and ethics for elected officials, and history, logic, and economics for all voters?

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
No. The right to bare arms supersedes a requirement for training. Hopefully those that do carry consider the seriousness of what they do and will take measures to train themselves adequately.

·
Registered
281 Posts
How about adding gun handling and safety to the public school mandatory curriculum? Then at least most folks would make it out of the system with some exposure and hopefully the realization that they need more training if they want to cary.

Just a nutty idea....flame on.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Being responsible with a firearm is important, and I think people should learn to use their 'tools' correctly and efficiently.
That being said, I do not believe that training should be mandatory...we have enough mandates already.
Who decides how much or what kind is enough?:22a:

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Almost everyone has very accurate instinctive pointing skills at defensive distance.
Almost everyone can tell when great bodily harm or death is imminent.

Sometimes training that goes against the grain of instincts for self preservation may not be helpful in the real world. For example, if you train with the weaver stance, controlled breathing, and sight alignment, what will that do to reaction time in a sudden attack?

Mindset training is very important, but if a detailed study of the laws causes you to ponder all the consequences, what will that do to reaction time in a sudden attack?

Do you think the government can tell each individual exactly what kind of training is best?

The best training will both inspire us to go out to the range to have a blast safely and also encourage us to think about what-if scenarios, situational awareness, and a winning attitude. That's just what we have here on this forum.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think some states need to require more training
for carry permits. I have known a few people that
have permits that really dont have enough training
to be carrying a firearm. Think in VA you dont even have
to qualify with a gun to get a permit.
However the training shouldnt be crazy expensive either.
I would feel better if it took more training to get a permit
as it could save a innocent bystander's life in a shootout
and who knows I could be the innocent bystander one day

·
Registered
177 Posts
Along with mandatory training...

Science fiction author Robert Heinlein created an entire future world and one of the tenets of that society was that you were only eligible to vote if you had served a career in the military.

Just serving an enlistment wasn't enough, a career. He figured if you weren't interested enough to protect and defend the country then you got no say in how it was run. Full citizenship required payment up front.

Both ideas are too extreme for me. When I was younger I liked the idea of earning the right to vote by serving first. But the founders saw more clearly than I did - on both counts.

We have our rights and now must protect and defend them. We don't get to tell the other person how they have to earn their rights.

·
Registered
499 Posts
How about if the states require a $1000 license fee, a $3000 training course which is only available from a handful of trainers, with a waiting list of 2 years, to make sure the poor, inner city blacks, and "trailer trash" can't afford it, or don't bother?

Because that really IS the point isn't it?

Every gun control law in the last 150 years was designed to disproportionately afflict people of the wrong race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic class.

Any call for "more training" is intended to make CC difficult and expensive, so that the "wrong people" stay disarmed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution simply states "...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." It doesn't say "only after demonstrating proficiency" or "only after eight (8) hours of classroom instruction from a certified instructor."

I don't argue that education is important and practice is extremely valuable; however, to limit a law abiding citizen's ability to "keep and bear arms" or obtain a CWP and carry hurts the community, state, and nation.

Both Pennsylvania and Georgia (the two states that I reside and have CWP's) only require the applicant to be able to write a check. I had my PA-CWP before I had a weapon. I practice drawing and shooting multiple targets with multiple magazines at least twice a month or I don't carry. As so many have said more often and better than I, "in a survival situation, you react based on what you've practiced." So those that buy a gun, get a CWP, and then carry without instruction or practice are putting themselves in harms way. And they aren't going to be a member of this forum either!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I look at this as a RKBA issue. I don't need a permit to exercise my right to free speech, or any other rights outside of RKBA, with the emphasis on 'bear arms', and arguably the right to peaceably assemble. Seeing as how we already have to jump through hoops to participate in a god-given right, i don't think it's necessary or constitutional to mandate additional training. Further mandates will only serve to turn concealed carry into a means of defense only certain citizens are able to afford.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts