Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and her husband are both school teachers , at different schools , they live in a state that prohibits guns on school grounds . Do you feel that your child would be safer if there teachers had the ability to have a ccw if they so choose ? I have asked both my daughter and my son inlaw there opinion , we are curious as to what your opinions will be , why they should or should not to carry a ccw at school.

Reactions: earonw49

·
Super Moderator
24,656 Posts
Teachers should be allowed to carry at schools and school function if they want to.

It should be elective. It should not require training unless the teachers want the training. I would even suggest the school districts pay extra to those teachers, and provide them with an allowance for practice time and ammunition. I would further suggest their carry ammo be provided by the schools, and to eliminate choice, use the same ammo the local LEO use.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Yes I do with certain provisions, specifically proper training for the potential tasks at hand.

Those of us who go about our daily lives while armed are generally not in the same boat as those who work in schools. Schools are prime targets for killers, as we have seen. Add to this the very real potential for terrorists to start hitting schools and you can easily see how school employees are more likely to be exposed to things the average person who carries is not as likely to encounter.

I would want training specific to all of this with periodic training while they work for their school system. I'm not at all suggesting that the training be a precursor to carry but rather a very real benefit should the time come when they actually have to use that gun. I would want active and aggressive armed people who have the confidence of their training to face and terminate the threat(s) before any innocents are injured or killed.

I think it's appalling that the first knee-jerk action that presents itself when a school shooting occurs is to further restrict firearms on school property. Gee, let's just put food and drink out for the assailants, while we're at it. We've already given them a gift of hundreds of children and nothing with which to protect them. Might as well feed them after they have completed their carnage.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
My daughter and her husband are both school teachers , at different schools , they live in a state that prohibits guns on school grounds . Do you feel that your child would be safer if there teachers had the ability to have a ccw if they so choose ? I have asked both my daughter and my son inlaw there opinion , we are curious as to what your opinions will be , why they should or should not to carry a ccw at school.
Absofreakinglutely. Add in some training on making a doorway a death trap and our kids would be FAR safer!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
It's a far superior solution than to rely on just hiding and throwing books at the killers.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Why not? Teachers are not more or less stupid than any other average pistol pack'n citizen. Teachers are, however, more likely than the rest of us to bear witness to foul and aggressive behavior from children, adolescents and young adults who come from less than satisfactory family backgrounds.

A teacher should be able to tell a young lady to cover her cleavage and tell a young man to pull up his pants without threat or fear of making the newspapers.

·
Registered
41,465 Posts
Let me rephrase: Why should teachers be prohibited from carrying?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Southeastern college in Lakeland Florida is training teachers and staff to carry. 130 hours of training before they can carry. That's more then a sherrif deputy is required to have.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
It's a far superior solution than to rely on just hiding and throwing books at the killers.
This.

As for school resource officer: what if absent (may not have a "sub"), on toilet, on lunch break, .....

Reactions: OD* and Panadero

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Yes. A lot of teachers are vets and certainly capable of taking care of business. Not all are bleeding heart stereo types.
The school district I'm most familer with and spend a lot of time with quietly allows select teachers to carry; discretion is key for them. Also, they allow those who carry in school to attend our police use of force trainings as well as the school shooter drills held on the summer. This is great because not only to the teachers learn what we need and expect as responding officers, we also learn what the teachers need/want/fear from the classroom end.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I think their could be an argument that anything they are allowed to do during work hours could be considered acting under the auspices of the school system. I think if teachers are going to be allowed to carry firearm while working, they should be extensively trained. Arming teachers could certainly be a last line of defense but its a poor plan when its the only plan.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts