Defensive Carry banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Which is why I like gun disarms...
Good thread.

Shocking how fast skill is tossed aside for a tool that isn’t even the right tool. When the class messes up this bad the next class is going to suck.

It’s all about finding weak spots and boy did these guys have one.

·
Premium Member
37,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Good thread.

Shocking how fast skill is tossed aside for a tool that isn’t even the right tool. When the class messes up this bad the next class is going to suck.

It’s all about finding weak spots and boy did these guys have one.
Time to re-visit time vs distance, and action vs reaction, I'm thinking.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Time to re-visit time vs distance, and action vs reaction, I'm thinking.
Boxing gloves teach that lesson, over and over. I am a slow learner when it comes to getting my hands back up in my workspace after a kidney shot.
I get punched in the face often for that.

·
Registered
20,539 Posts
Boxing gloves teach that lesson, over and over. I am a slow learner when it comes to getting my hands back up in my workspace after a kidney shot.
I get punched in the face often for that.
The biggest mistake people make that are new to fighting is to make wide sweeping blocks at punches instead of keeping their hands in tight to their face and working it that way.
Suddenly you have knees, elbows, and all kinds of options if you work in instead of trying to block out.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
The biggest mistake people make that are new to fighting is to make wide sweeping blocks at punches instead of keeping their hands in tight to their face and working it that way.
Suddenly you have knees, elbows, and all kinds of options if you work in instead of trying to block out.
Efficiency wins a whole lot.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Just finished a fight club relevant to this topic.

Today we assaulted each other from close distances, the attacker had choice of knife, stick, empty hands; the defender had their edc set up, blue gun and trainer version of the knife they carry.

We rarely train anything gun, besides occasionally getting a gun offline opening up a chance to attack or stuffing someone else’s draw. After today I realize I am the only one who trains it elsewhere, out of the group.

These are guys who regularly participate in FOF, out of the 4,
#1. didn’t even try to use empty hand techniques or create distance, went straight for the draw twice before he dealt with the incoming close quarters knife attack, both times taking multiple fatal stabs. He can protect himself from a knife attack pretty well as long as he doesn’t have the gun option, as soon as he had that, it became all he though about.
Even after he got coaching, his empty hand defense and attacks were far less that he is capable of, he could not stop focusing on wanting to use the gun. Also of importance #1 is the least skilled with a pistol out of the group, yet he still felt compelled to get to it ASAP.

#2 defended with empty hand, but when he came to counter attack it was always really bad form and non effective strikes on poor targets. Which is weird because he does a good job with that any other time, strap that gun on and he can’t function at his usual level. He cleaned it up after coaching, even verbalizing: “I don’t know why I keep skipping a step and trying to draw.” “Yeah, neither do we, you keep losing the fight.”

The majority of the scenarios, if I even drew the gun, it was to cover an already out of the fight bad guy that I dealt with without a tool. I was the only one who used the blade they were carrying. I found that strange too, because for the first year or so this was a knife only focused group.

Give these guys a gun and they choose it over what they were more used to. All of them train gun, but they do infinitely more training with knife. Two of them could not draw gun one handed, they had never or not practiced that often enough. You may be parrying a blade away with one hand while digging for a weapon with the other. I wouldn’t advise it, but if you are going to you better know how.

1. Gun centricity will get you murdered. You can’t just start blasting if it isn’t a lethal threat, you may need to defend yourself before things meet the legal requirement.
2. Empty hand skills are necessary if only to pass or push attacks offline.
3. You better have your hands up in a defensive posture or close to it during the interview stage, someone with training will get to you before you can get your defense up, action is faster than reaction.
Which is why I like gun disarms...
That's it, I'm getting a karambit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What I do does not compre to several expert posts on this thread.

I learned knife and handgun disarms way back. During recent years I was teaching them occasionally at our taekwondo clases. Disarms are extra curruliculum, I just need some practice myself, that's why.

For practical application this is a mix of really few techniques: 3-4 knife, 2-3 handgun, and quite some amount of psychology. Psychology leads to the fact if gun is within reach he dousn't want to kill yet, so you have a chance. And how to get your hands close to weapon without triggering him to pull trigger, then it is only short move that you will need. And I as others am more scared of knife, as you will learn knife is in play when you are already cut. And the worst thing with knife is once you took away knife, you didn't win yet as whoever of you two bleeds more will black out first, hence loose.

But to my regret the scam-demic had all our clubs closed, no partners, no practises.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I suppose that I'm more concerned with threats that act at a distance. The one's that want to get close before they act, I'll make sure that they get even closer.
Of course I don't have any illusions if they know what they're doing.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts