Defensive Carry banner

Have Taran Tactical base pads performed well with your G43?

• Yes, the +1 TT base pads perform really well!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Yes, the +2 TT base pads perform really well!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Yes, the +3 TT base pads perform really well!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • The +1 TT base pads are just okay. I don't love them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The +2 TT base pads are just okay. I don't love them.

• The +3 TT base pads are just okay. I don't love them.

• No. The +1 base pads do NOT perform well. I stopped using them.

• No. The +2 base pads do NOT perform well. I stopped using them.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No. The +3 base pads do NOT perform well. I stopped using them.

Votes: 1 14.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several months of "fighting" with my wife over the Sig P938 I bought this summer, we finally got her a G43. She liked the Sig for its small size, but was not happy about dealing with the safety, having trained for the last 7 years with Glocks.

Like most single stack pistols, the G43 is a bit "light" in the round capacity department. I want to get her some Taran Tactical magazine extensions to deal with this issue. I know in the past that they had some feeding issues and that they have allegedly solved these issues by providing different springs for their +2 and +3 base pads.

My question is two-fold. #1: Do you use Taran Tactical magazine extensions/base pads and do you find they perform well? and #2: If you have had a good experience with them, what JHP ammunition have you found that performs well with them?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I purchased a new G43 and installed ameriglo night sights and ghost edge connector. I have 4 mags all the number 1 mags. Two I left stock OEM6 rounders and one I put on taran tactical +2 base plate (with new spring provided) and the other strike industries EMP G43 +2 second gen base plate (with a spare brand new taran tactical spring).
With FMJ 115gr winchester white boxes everything performed flawlessly. G-43 shot great, sights were great and ghost edge worked well. I tried out Federal HST 124gr +P, Federal HST 147gr, Federal HST 147 +P and Speer 124 +P gold dots. They all performed flawlessly out of the OEM 6 rounders. The Federal HST 147 +P consistently shot the tighter groups while all were acceptable groups.
BUT in either of the +2 mag extensions I had consistent failure to feed with ALL the different self defense loads. Most failure to feeds were on the last 7th or 8th round.
So I replaced the stronger springs with the factory 6 round spring and +2 base pads and I had greater failures. Some were at the second round, some the fourth and some last seven or eighth. Just to make sure I used my other OEM 6 rounders and again all self defense loads functioned flawlessly.
For me I could only get the FMJ to perform with the +2 base pads. ALL of the self defense loads had failure to feed issues with the +2 base pads with either stock spring or taran tactical supplied spring.
Next time I head to the range I am trying the pearce grip +1 extension and stock OEM 6 round springs.
UPDATE: I went to the range with the taran +1 and the pearce +1 and 3 oem 6 rounders. The 6 rounders were flawless with Speer gold dot 124+P, Federal HST 124, 147, 124+P and 147+P and Corbon barnes bullets. With BOTH +1 extensions I had failures to feed with ALL the different hollow points around 5th-6th round. With FMJ the +1's functioned fine.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
BUT in either of the +2 mag extensions I had consistent failure to feed with ALL the different self defense loads. Most failure to feeds were on the last 7th or 8th round.

For me I could only get the FMJ to perform with the +2 base pads. ALL of the self defense loads had failure to feed issues with the +2 base pads with either stock spring or taran tactical supplied spring.
Next time I head to the range I am trying the pearce grip +1 extension and stock OEM 6 round springs.
UPDATE: I went to the range with the taran +1 and the pearce +1 and 3 oem 6 rounders. The 6 rounders were flawless with Speer gold dot 124+P, Federal HST 124, 147, 124+P and 147+P and Corbon barnes bullets. With BOTH +1 extensions I had failures to feed with ALL the different hollow points around 5th-6th round. With FMJ the +1's functioned fine.
Thank you bunches and bunches for taking your time to do all of that comparison shooting, and more time to give us the report. I've been thinking about buying extension plates for a couple of my G42 magazines. Now I will save the few bucks they cost and just carry a spare mag. I also have another brand of .380 with magazines that hold 8 and (Bersa BP380cc). It is larger physically than my G42 but still very concealable. Not anywhere near as accurate as my G42, but still OK on group size for multiple SD shots. Was it worth the price of the new gun for the extra 2 rounds? Not really because of the difference in accuracy - but I have it and trade in value would be about zilch because it's a fairly cheap gun to start with.

I have to shoot a couple hundred more rounds through that Bersa to see if it is totally reliable. It will NOT feed any kind of JHP, but from what I've read about the .380 round, perhaps round nose is as good or better for SD anyway.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Haven't used the Taran extensions. I have three of the Pierce +1 extensions for my G43. Haven't done extensive testing, but have used FMJ 115 and 124 gr range ammo plus my normal 9mm carry, HST 147 +P. All worked fine.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased a new G43 and installed ameriglo night sights and ghost edge connector. I have 4 mags all the number 1 mags. Two I left stock OEM6 rounders and one I put on taran tactical +2 base plate (with new spring provided) and the other strike industries EMP G43 +2 second gen base plate (with a spare brand new taran tactical spring).
With FMJ 115gr winchester white boxes everything performed flawlessly. G-43 shot great, sights were great and ghost edge worked well. I tried out Federal HST 124gr +P, Federal HST 147gr, Federal HST 147 +P and Speer 124 +P gold dots. They all performed flawlessly out of the OEM 6 rounders. The Federal HST 147 +P consistently shot the tighter groups while all were acceptable groups.
So I replaced the stronger springs with the factory 6 round spring and +2 base pads and I had greater failures. Some were at the second round, some the fourth and some last seven or eighth. Just to make sure I used my other OEM 6 rounders and again all self defense loads functioned flawlessly.
Thanks for the detailed report.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't used the Taran extensions. I have three of the Pierce +1 extensions for my G43. Haven't done extensive testing, but have used FMJ 115 and 124 gr range ammo plus my normal 9mm carry, HST 147 +P. All worked fine.

I have Pearce extensions on my G26 and they have been perfect.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Pearce extensions on my G26 have also been perfect. I am a glutton for punishment and bought a G42. I will be testing magguts, pearce +1 and Strike Industries +2 for the G42. It seems they are complete hit or miss on the G43 but I have found through searching that very few have tested them with 50 round boxes of self defense ammo. FMJ was fine but JHP has not been for me. My 9mm Shield has been flawless with everything including MagGuts +1 and MagGuts +2 in the 8 round magazines. They have functioned flawlessly with all self defense ammo

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
I havent used them but have been thinking about getting their +1 extensions. Everyone Ive talked to seems happy with them.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
214 Posts
On my G43 I use TT +1 Extensions for pocket carry and +2 extensions for IWB Carry. No issues so far from any ammo. I keep wanting to order one of the Magguts +1 kits and try it in conjunction with the TT Extensions to see how it works. In My G42 I was able to combine a +2 extension (forget which brand) and the magguts kit for a reliable 9+1.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With all the people on this site who have G43s, I am surprised that more people have not reported on their ownership of TT extensions.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Haven't shot the TT extensions. Yet shot the (crap outta') a G43 with Strike Industries Enhanced (thick aluminum base) extensions last Tuesday. Hundreds of rounds, performed flawlessly (at 8+1).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts