Defensive Carry banner

Do you wear a "special" gun belt for carry?

• Yes

Votes: 410 78.2%
  • No

Votes: 114 21.8%
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another pretty straightforward poll here for everyone to chime in on...

Do you wear a special gun belt? I started carry a few weeks ago and have been carrying with my usual leather belt that I quite like. I don't notice any control or stability issues with it with my Minotaur MTAC and P239, but I'm curious if this is just inexperience.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth shelling out the cash for a specialty gun belt? I had a look at Comp-Tac's and they are up around $80, which is a little pricey. Anyone know of anything more affordable but still high quality?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yes, you wouldn't believe the difference in stability with a quality gun belt. Crossbreed sells them for $60. A Cabela's Double Duty runs about $30 and so does the Wilderness Instructor.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I voted no only because I have not purchased one yet. I do plan on that being my next purchase.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use a black leather Galco belt that is a little thicker and more rigid than dress belts. It works well and supports the gun/holster very well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wilderness Tactical

I own a Wilderness Tactical with my Crossbreed. I work outside and casual dress is the norm... not only is it very stable and comfortable but it allows a much more broad range of adjustment then a standard belt. You can dial in exactly how snug a fit that you need day by day instead of trying to cinch up to the next belt hole.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Every day.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
When I carry OWB I use a gun belt. The one I mostly turn to is the Galco COP double leather belt. It is dressy enough for any occasion and keeps my holsters where they should be as well as being very comfortable.

bosco

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a Crossbreed gun belt. I use it at work and when I'm off. At work it holds my company portable radio and at home it holds my holster. Very sturdy belt.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I suppose one could call it "special." It's simply firm enough, thick enough and comfortable enough to support ~35oz of gear for the day, day after day. It does happen to come from a leather maker who specializes in firearms-oriented belts. But then, I've had such belts for so long that I no longer view them as special. They're simply well-made, durable, functional and comfortable ... exactly what I look for in a belt. Wouldn't be so "special," I suppose, if other belt makers woke up and smelled the coffee. :bier:

Double-bullhide units from The Beltman, here. I've got a couple of 1.5 inchers, without stiffeners, and a 1.25" with stiffener.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, I wear a Beltman double horsehide 1.5".

Designer belts are a no-go. They're not engineered to carry firearms. They will stretch and this will lead to printing when you are carrying concealed.

I ruined one of my favorite leather belts when I started to conceal carry because I didn't think I needed a 'gun belt'. Lesson learned. The upside is I now have a belt that I love, is hand-crafted and can carry my CZ 75, Surefire 6P, spare magazine pouch and multi tool with no stretching issues.

A good gun belt is a great investment.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Huge, significant difference in comfort & concealability with a good belt designed for distributing the weight of the gun evenly around the waist. Heard someone remark the other day (and it's true!) that they went through holster after holster looking for a good one that they never could find. Everything they tried was uncomfortable in some way: too low, too high, too obvious, too difficult to draw from. They finally found one that would work, sort of, and figured that's just the way holsters are & they'd have to get used to it. Then one day not long after that, they bought a belt designed for concealed carry, and when they did, somehow magically all the "bad" holsters in their discard box actually turned out to be useful and good! The "bad" holsters just needed to be worn as designed, supported by the type of belt they were designed to be used with.

pax

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Is it worth some money to have a heavy duty belt for carrying? Absolutely.

Do you need to spend $70-80 for that belt? Nope.

Cabela's Double Duty Belt

$25 will get you everything you need, although I hated the buckle and replaced it with one I had on another belt, so you might want to figure in $10 or so, if you don't have any other buckles lying around that you could put on it.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I use a Rafter Black Shark 1 1/2" ( great belt ), that was before they went all the way down the tube. Now I would get a Beltman Bullhide. You would be lucky to even get it from Rafter now, and there is know telling where the quality has gone.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Either a Looper Leather belt, or a Wilderness Instructor's belt...that's it.:smoke23:

The right belt makes all the difference in the world.:yup:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
A good belt works wonders over a cheap made belt. No matter if you got a gun on or not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is a huge difference between non-gun belt and gun belt, I absolutely won't carry without a proper belt. Though the occasional Kel-Tec in a clip IWB while running is the exception.

My first set of belts (one brown, one black) was from comp-tac and I ordered them with my C-TAC, which, along with my Minotaur, I love. However, the belts are "ok" at best. Maybe it's old manufacture standards, and they are better now, but I wouldn't buy one again. They hold the gun pretty well, and the kydex liner is stiff but comfortable. The problem is the finish, both lose color and smoothness, and try out very quickly, and I have tried all of my well-established leather-care methods with no effect.

Gunners Alley's belt was pretty good, but eventually had minor finish problems. I am currently using a leather 5.11 belt, which came free with some pants. It is very comfortable and has a good finish, only some minor scuffs so far, but that's my fault, it also has 7 holes, which means I can use it for OWB or IWB by tightening or loosening it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I spend over a $100 on work boots because I'm on my feet all day. My hunting boots cost me $159 on sale, same reason. My work clothes are mostly Carhartt because they hold up well. Not cheap but worth it. You've got a $700 pistol in a $80 holster with a $10 belt? Doesn't make sense.
The good news is you don't have to spend $75-80 to getting a decent gunbelt. Aker, Blackhawk, Galco, 5.11 and Wilderness all offer decent belts for $40 or less. There are others that were mentioned as well. Get yourself a good belt and you'll be happy you did.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts