Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
.....believe that the Koch Collection has some of Earp's hardware.

Nice article......thanks.

upload_2017-3-10_12-38-30.png

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Being a fan of; antique firearms, small handguns & Ol' West history, I really, REALLY appreciate this thread Mike! "Big Nose" Kate had pretty good taste. Thank You! :congrats:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I bet that a 41 Caliber Derringer was quite a handful to shoot.

·
Premium Member
38,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've probably all seen the movie Tombstone, and have come to affectionately regard the portrayals of Doc and Kate rendered there. When I saw the engraving on the back strap, I immediately saw Val Kilmer and Joanna Pacula in my mind's eye.

·
Super Moderator
24,980 Posts
That is in amazing condition! Gorgeous!

This is very nice:

I know a highly respected "Doc" reenactor who has won several notable awards for his portrayals. He'd like that. We hung out in Cripple Creek with his wife Kate. It was fun. It drove the tourists crazy, especially the foreign tourists.

Wyatt Earp, a direct descendant of the famous lawman of the same name, chronicled his ancestor’s adventures from Arizona to Alaska in a play, written by Terry Earp, which was performed at the original Imperial Hotel Gold Bar Theater in Cripple Creek a few years back. That play traveled Canada and the USA extensively.

Imperial Hotel

The old west is still alive if you know where to look.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Wonder how many actually fell to that little beauty.......if that could only talk imagine the stories it could tell.

Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Super Moderator
22,496 Posts
Thanks Mike.

The only thing about "Doc's" derringer is that no one in the many years this little two shooter has been in public, has documented evidence of provenance. I've been into Outlaw & Lawman history since I was a kid and they've argued this gun's history forever. The new thing that has history buffs talking is a new picture that has come to light (2015), that is supposedly a picture of Doc in his last days at the Glenwood Springs Hotel. If you are familiar with the real Doc Holliday pictures, this guy looks very much like him, but again, there is no provenance.

·
Premium Member
38,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great find, Dan. If that isn't him, it's not for lack of resemblance. They didn't call it consumption for just the heck of it.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
.....and at only 36 years old.......IMO, sure looks like Doc.

·
Super Moderator
24,980 Posts
Thanks Mike.

The only thing about "Doc's" derringer is that no one in the many years this little two shooter has been in public, has documented evidence of provenance. I've been into Outlaw & Lawman history since I was a kid and they've argued this gun's history forever. The new thing that has history buffs talking is a new picture that has come to light (2015), that is supposedly a picture of Doc in his last days at the Glenwood Springs Hotel. If you are familiar with the real Doc Holliday pictures, this guy looks very much like him, but again, there is no provenance.

Great photograph, Dan. I'd never seen that one!

This photo is, as Dan suggests, subject to scrutiny due to the scarcity of photographs with strong provenance. The friend I mentioned, who was familiar with this photo, pointed out the Glenwood Hotel did not have windows with six panes or eight panes (see below) but that the fabrics, the neck wrapping, the ironed crease in the sleeves, and in fact, the face are all strong indications of Doc. Having said that, the photo could have been taken at the photographers rather than the hotel. My friend also noted the fabrics are period correct, as my wife also noted.

The mystery continues.

·
Super Moderator
22,496 Posts
Great photograph, Dan. I'd never seen that one!

This photo is, as Dan suggests, subject to scrutiny due to the scarcity of photographs with strong provenance. The friend I mentioned, who was familiar with this photo, pointed out the Glenwood Hotel did not have windows with six panes or eight panes (see below) but that the fabrics, the neck wrapping, the ironed crease in the sleeves, and in fact, the face are all strong indications of Doc. Having said that, the photo could have been taken at the photographers rather than the hotel. My friend also noted the fabrics are period correct, as my wife also noted.

The mystery continues.

Great post, Richard!

FWIW, another "Doc" mystery is where is his body? We've been to his grave, which is kinda cool, as people leave bottles of whisky and playing cards all the time. Anyway, the story goes that being November when Doc died, the trail to the cemetery was to "slick" for the wagon to make it up, so they just buried him in someone's back yard, the interesting thing is, the home at the base of the mountain where the trail begins has a medium size boulder in it (none of the surrounding homes have any rocks in them), surrounded by wrought iron fencing, unfortunately, you can't get to the front of the rock because the yard is fenced. What you have is a fenced in rock within a fenced in yard, interesting if nothing else. :wink:

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
I doubt a grand hotel like that would have an interior that looked as "rough" as that in the photo. It looks more like the inside of one of the original saloons in Tombstone.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts