Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CCW class made me think more and react differently to potentially violent encounters. Not that I am faced with this sort of thing often but just day to day sort of things like pissed off drivers and such. What about all of you?

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
It does for me. I am a lot more aware and often avoid being places that I now know could spell trouble. Convenience stores and such I check out a lot closer before going in than before. On the road, I ignore the people that blow up because I am going too fast, too slow or don\'t like something else I may be doing. I used to scream and cuss at them and point to the shoulder of the road. Now I just pretty much ignore them.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
more likely?

No. I only got a CWP recently, but probably 25 or 30 years ago I decided traffic altercations, etc., were not work risking my life. Since that satori, I have always been aware of the possibility that any stranger could be an armed sociopath.

This is a common theme, that the armed citizen is more polite and is more aware of the potential for an altercation to turn lethal. Maybe some do renounce a rowdy life-style when they carry. I suspect that many others are like me---the last time I punched someone (he did not punch back), was around 1963 when I was 15. The next-to-last time I fought was probably around 1959.

One can get in as much trouble without a firearm as with. A bar-room fight, for example. One drunken fool punches another drunken fool who falls and strikes his head on a metal chair leg and dies. Criminal charges ensue.

I have always stayed out of this type of bar to avoid placing myself in a likely fight scene (plus I don\'t like cigarette smoke or lots of noise).

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Not really becuse i always stayed away from that kind of stuff in the first place i might be a little more aways but not much ..

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Originally posted by Bumper
It does for me. I am a lot more aware and often avoid being places that I now know could spell trouble. Convenience stores and such I check out a lot closer before going in than before. On the road, I ignore the people that blow up because I am going too fast, too slow or don\'t like something else I may be doing. I used to scream and cuss at them and point to the shoulder of the road. Now I just pretty much ignore them.
Amen:exclaim:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I do get the opposite from people sometimes. \"Oh well since you carry a gun you aren\'t afraid to go to bad places, because you can just shoot your way out.\" Obviously they don\'t get it and I try to explain it.

What I tell people is that I am always careful whether or not I\'m carrying a gun. I don\'t want to be a victim and I don\'t want to shoot someone. However, if it comes down to it, I will use a gun to defend me and mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kids and guns have had a sobering effect on my already very sober lifestyle.

Pretty much what bumper said applies to me - I try to avoid the everyday stresses that most people go thru. That meant quitting a job in NY\'s financial district 9 yrs ago for 1/2 salary in Westchester (never regretted it).

Legal gun owners are forced to be cognizant of the law - and many are more aware of those laws that relate to use of force, duty to retreat, castle doctrine, etc.

NYC Drew

·
Registered
742 Posts
:kay:

Yes, but as I have done my best to avoid places where crap happens, fights are not part of my life.

those who carry do have a higher degree of responsiblity. You must be able to walk away from insults, etc.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Bumper
Hoist me up on the bandwagon, I agree with Bump as well :bowdown:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don\'t think it changed my attitude much. Of course I am pretty laid back about most things, and learned early that almost nothing good ever comes from physical confrontations, unless of course you are fighting for your life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pretty laid back here, never been one to sweat the small stuff. I guess I got it out of my system when I was young and dumb :) I just try to stay aware of my surroundings

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
DITTO BUMPER

Also...In Pennsylvania if you are LTC for personal protection & some jerk \"flips you the bird\" & you flip him/her \"the bird\" back...start cussing & then BIGGER trouble follows....
you are legally considered to have \"escalated\" the situation. It is a serious personal responsibility to carry a firearm. Avoidance is the watchword of the day unless you are shopping around for an expensive & totally life disrupting legal nightmare.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by lt8tmgya This is a common theme, that the armed citizen is more polite and is more aware of the potential for an altercation to turn lethal. Maybe some do renounce a rowdy life-style when they carry.

While I am pretty mellow and laid back, I agree that an armed citizen is more likely to be polite and avoid areas and encounters that may turn violent. We are the only ones that know that a gun may come into play so most of us do everything in our power to stay out of trouble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes. Absolutely. Carrying comes with a big set of responsibilities. One of those is to avoid unnecessary confrontation.

I am not really a fighter in general. I have only been in a handful of fights and all but one of those were before I turned 18.

The one as an \"adult\" was in college. The reason for that was the other dude hit my girlfriend so he got it reeaaal good. I wasn\'t carrying then but I think if I were I wouldn\'t have fought him. I would have called the cops or else I might have done something real stupid.

At least I think I\'m that smart. I hope...;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
An armed society is a polite society. Yes.....:kay:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been more aware of my situation since I started carrying. For the last 10 years or so I have accepted that I don\'t drive the way most people want me to. I drive the speed limit and stop at stop signs. So if one starts tailgating me I simple put my signal on and move off to the shoulder and let them pass.
I only go two places I would consider sub-safe. One is a bar off in downtown St. Louis. We know the owner, and park there when we are in town for a Rams or Cards game. I carry into the bar and the owner locks it in his safe. The other is a bar in Alton, Ill and I really have to be careful there. I must lock my gun and ammo in separate containers by ILL law. We only go there in the daylight and we park in their lot. Not the best but an afternoon at Fast Eddy\'s Bon Aire is a treat and we try to do it once a year.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think it helps to keep me more even headed....things dont upset me like they did before carrying. I look at thigns differently.....nothing is worth getting THAT upset over...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Couldn\'t agree more with all the responses so far....I too used to have more problems while driving....you see I believe that I\'m the \"only one\" who knows how to drive responsibly (little humor here)...I\'d cuss at, wave the single finger flag, and just generally get all hot and bothered. I still shake my head at some of them, but I don\'t want to escalate the situation anymore. Taking the CCW class was good at emphasizing the levels of conflict and what is appropriate response. While waiting on my CCW permit, I decided to get a can of pepperspray and keep that in my truck...if ever confronted with some \"unarmed\" bozo, I can use the spray if it appears the situation is going to go beyond \"words\". Bottom line is having alternatives when deadly force is not an option and you just don\'t want to have bruised knuckles......just be sure the wind is in the right direction before using the spray !:smug:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts