Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have occasionally seen a poster mention a gun in their vehicle and I was wondering how prevelant it was among the members of this forum.

I have a Ruger P89 w/CT 15+1 with a spare 15 rd. mag that has lived in the console of my truck for more than 10 years. It is shot and cleaned regularly. I holster pocket carry a PM9 w/CT and spare mag in weak side pocket but, if I can get to my P89 first, the PM9 will be my bug.

I realize some states are more restrictive than Alabama regarding guns in vehicles and one must always be cognizant of the safety factor of an unauthorized person such as a child or burglar getting possession of the gun. I always lock my truck, have an alarm system, don't live in a high crime neighborhood, and my only child is almost 13 and firearm safety trained. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Since we share a vehicle and Mr. Bunny does NOT have his CCHL, the gun lives in our vehicle only when I am in it.

But I'm working on him to get his CCHL already.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
No gun 'lives' in any vehicle of mine. They come and go with me. Alarm or no, a 'seasoned' criminal can get just about anything in just a couple of seconds. It's a rare occasion I'll lock it up and leave my sidearm in my truck or car.

I personally know a couple of people who've had thier firearm(s) stolen outta thier vehicles. It's was a bad day for them.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Absolutely not. That is one of the most irresponsible things people commonly do with guns.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
My vehicle has a gun in it when I'm in the vehicle, no other time...except perhaps, on a rare ocassion when I might have to enter a county building and the wife is not along...then I place the firearm in a hidden safe.:yup:

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Mine is locked in the vehicle in a com safe only if i have to go to the post office. Other wise it follows me everywhere.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
The short answer is no. The long answer includes many unusual circumstances like needing to disarm to go into a school.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Good way to get a gun stolen,There have even been guns stolen out of marked police cars.Just think they bust your window out,alarm goes off but they figure they got a few seconds before anyone comes out,they open the console and now they are armed,you come running out and they shoot you with your own gun

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Yes, when I'm in the vehicle, but only then.:hand10:

·
Registered
146 Posts
No. If I have to disarm (think post office, school, etc.), I have a safe secured in the vehicle to store the gun, but as soon as I return to the vehicle the gun is back on my hip. To routinely keep a loaded gun in the car is asking for it to get stolen. And I wouldn't really consider a gun kept in a car "under my control."

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Absolutely not. That is one of the most irresponsible things people commonly do with guns.
I agree, 95% of stolen gun reports I write up the
gun was stolen from the car.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
To the OP...this is widely frowned upon by many people on this forum. I personally think you have to weigh the risks of this yourself, based on your personal circumstances. I know lots of people who only have a gun... in their vehicle. They have their CWP , and only use it to carry it in their console, glovebox, etc for "just in case". I like the idea of it, but am in the middle of the road about it personally.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
No way. I don't even want to think of what bad things can happen if my gun was ever stolen. There is no sense in arming criminals.

That being said, I do use a Center of Mass safe when I go into a location that I can't carry (post office, etc.). That's the only time I'll ever leave a gun in my car and even then, it's only a brief time.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sure do, but it's securely hidden and you would have a VERY, VERY HARD time finding it. :image035: It's also easy to draw quickly in case of emergency. I also have a very good alarm system installed on the truck and it's an easily replaceable CZ-82.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
No.

Too many smash and grabs around here, even in the daytime.

If I had a way to secure it that I really, really trusted, maybe. But I don't.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts