Defensive Carry banner

Does a gun live in your vehicle?

6K views 77 replies 51 participants last post by  Jumper2501 
#1 ·
I have occasionally seen a poster mention a gun in their vehicle and I was wondering how prevelant it was among the members of this forum.

I have a Ruger P89 w/CT 15+1 with a spare 15 rd. mag that has lived in the console of my truck for more than 10 years. It is shot and cleaned regularly. I holster pocket carry a PM9 w/CT and spare mag in weak side pocket but, if I can get to my P89 first, the PM9 will be my bug.

I realize some states are more restrictive than Alabama regarding guns in vehicles and one must always be cognizant of the safety factor of an unauthorized person such as a child or burglar getting possession of the gun. I always lock my truck, have an alarm system, don't live in a high crime neighborhood, and my only child is almost 13 and firearm safety trained. Thanks for your feedback!

#3 ·
No gun 'lives' in any vehicle of mine. They come and go with me. Alarm or no, a 'seasoned' criminal can get just about anything in just a couple of seconds. It's a rare occasion I'll lock it up and leave my sidearm in my truck or car.

I personally know a couple of people who've had thier firearm(s) stolen outta thier vehicles. It's was a bad day for them.

#5 ·
My vehicle has a gun in it when I'm in the vehicle, no other time...except perhaps, on a rare ocassion when I might have to enter a county building and the wife is not along...then I place the firearm in a hidden safe.:yup:

#8 ·
Good way to get a gun stolen,There have even been guns stolen out of marked police cars.Just think they bust your window out,alarm goes off but they figure they got a few seconds before anyone comes out,they open the console and now they are armed,you come running out and they shoot you with your own gun

#52 ·
^^^^^^^^^BAD day^^^^^^^^^

Yes, when I'm in the vehicle, but only then.:hand10:

^^^YEP^^^

"Only a coward supports gun control, you know how to stop car jacking? Shoot the carjacker. If someone is going to kill me for my Buick, I'm gonna shoot until I'm out of ammo, and then I'll call 911."
Ted Nugent, People Magazine, 1994

#12 ·
No. If I have to disarm (think post office, school, etc.), I have a safe secured in the vehicle to store the gun, but as soon as I return to the vehicle the gun is back on my hip. To routinely keep a loaded gun in the car is asking for it to get stolen. And I wouldn't really consider a gun kept in a car "under my control."

#14 ·
To the OP...this is widely frowned upon by many people on this forum. I personally think you have to weigh the risks of this yourself, based on your personal circumstances. I know lots of people who only have a gun... in their vehicle. They have their CWP , and only use it to carry it in their console, glovebox, etc for "just in case". I like the idea of it, but am in the middle of the road about it personally.

#15 ·
No way. I don't even want to think of what bad things can happen if my gun was ever stolen. There is no sense in arming criminals.

That being said, I do use a Center of Mass safe when I go into a location that I can't carry (post office, etc.). That's the only time I'll ever leave a gun in my car and even then, it's only a brief time.

#16 · (Edited)
Sure do, but it's securely hidden and you would have a VERY, VERY HARD time finding it. :image035: It's also easy to draw quickly in case of emergency. I also have a very good alarm system installed on the truck and it's an easily replaceable CZ-82.

#22 ·
Oh its a classic idealist vs. realist debate.

Its a matter of what should be and what is. Yes, you should be able to leave a million dollars laying on the front seat, and every morning come out to your car with a million dollars sitting there.
However, reality says other wise.

... and thanks for not seeing a problem with arming the criminal that shot me.

And on a side note, Bill's website he has linked in is signature has some beautiful knives. ( I wouldn't leave one of those in my car either)

#23 ·
Sixto's explanation...arming a crimnal to possibly injure somebody else, such as an LEO, is one of the reasons I do not advocate, a weapon living in my vehicle.

#25 ·
Better to arm them with a STOLEN pistol, than one "straw bought" by their girlfriend. At least they can be charged when they are caught. Stolen guns are but one of the many ways criminals get guns. I have had several stolen during car thefts and break-ins. I got almost all of them back and the BGs got charged.
If I frequented places where I expected my car to be broken into, I would use a vault or hidden gun.
And, thanks for the compliment!

#26 ·
I personally would like to keep a gun in my truck but I am a cynic due to my line of work, and the doubts of its not being stolen creep up quickly. The world is a bad place and I dont want my guns stolen. Plus I couldnt bare someone being hurt with MY gun.

#27 ·
No way! It's bad enough that I have to leave my weapon in the safe in my truck occasionally. :nono:

#28 ·
I keep a Beretta 21 in .25acp in a little hidden pocket in my car. Winchester X points in it and a spare mag of FMJ. It's easier to get to than a holstered pistol, if I'm unarmed for some reason I can drop it into a pocket, and if it gets stolen, I'm not out much money. I can reach down and open the compartment a lot faster than I can draw from my left-handed IWB, but it's not very noticable if you don't know it's there.

#29 ·
Not a good idea. I have to leave mine in the truck at work, but I cable lock it to the seat frame underneath the seat. It comes with me otherwise. I saw a link on this forum about Console Safes that are designed to fit specific vehicle consoles. I am going to have one of these for my truck for those occasions I can't take it with me. I appreciate the link and info on them. Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.