Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield 1911-A1 that I have just fell in love with and am construing carrying it as a primary.
I'm 6f 2in and 220 and in good physical condition.
I've see some great holsters that can conceal just about anything. Would a full size 1911-A1 be to big?
Thanks for the help.:yup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
i carry a colt commander in a homemade IWB holster. I am 5'9" about 180 lbs. very fit and have no problems. your gun is only .75" longer you should have no problems at all, dress around the gun

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I'm 5'8" and 160#. I carry a full size 1911 frequently.

The biggest thing to remember is to have a proper holster/belt combination.

In the summertime, here in Las Vegas, it gets rather warm and I can carry my full size 1911 in an Andrews McDaniel IWB under a loose t-shirt with no printing problems.

It's not so much the size of the gun, it's how you wear it.

·
Super Moderator
13,491 Posts
I used to carry a full size 1911 all the time - carrying it wasn't a problem at all. It's the only gun that I can carry OWB or IWB.

I don't carry them now because my shooting hand thumb and wrist can't take the recoil any more.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Get's a little heavy after a few hours. I carry one on occasion. I have a great holster from http://www.tuckergunleather.com for IWB tuckable that I use.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Brommeland maxcon 5 or defcon.

I carry a steel framed commander of full size no problema.

I'm in your size range, 6'2" with slightly more lard.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also have a A1. I carry it on a regular basis as a primary. It is not too heavy for me & I carry 2 extra 10 rd Wilson C. mags. I do wear suspenders. I think they are the best friends conceal carry has.:image035: You are a bigger guy than I. Milt Sp. VMll will make it melt if you like IWB. If you like OWB I also do that w/ no problem. Galco Cop. It just takes a longer cover. All the above holsters are quality & preference is the thing that will make one better for you than the other. Good choice of carry weapon.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm seven inches shorter than you and carry a Commander with minimal discomfort. Considering that you're 2/3 again the size of me an extra 3/4" of barrel and slide shouldn't be too hard to deal with, just use a good holster and belt.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
I carry a full-size 1911 (Kimber warrior) frequently. No issues.

Matt

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
I Often Carry A Combat Commander...just a tiny bit shy of Full Size...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm shorter than you and have carried a Commander with no problems. I've heard people say that the full-size model is easier to carry because the extra length helps stabilize the gun.

A friend of mine carries a Government model day in, day out with no problem - he's about 5'7".

KC

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great info. I think I'll get a good IWB holster and give it a try. Thanks again.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I also carry a 1911 sometimes but have switched to go to a lighter gun for my back IWB makes it easy even in tshirts and shorts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a Kimber Custom II which is full size. I am 6' and only 160lbs and I manage with IWB - although I'm new to this, and still experimenting with holsters

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Kimo - I carry a 226 ST SIG so in weight and bulk terms it could as easily be a 1911.

I did think tho when I saw your subject line - "Does anyone carry a full size 1911 as a primary? " - does anyone breathe each day? LOL!! The 1911 following here is huge and I think many are full size or close to it. :wink: Has to be probably ''the'' archetypal carry piece nationwide for many.

Another salute to JMB :smilez:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
P95Carry said:
I did think tho when I saw your subject line - "Does anyone carry a full size 1911 as a primary? " - does anyone breathe each day? LOL!! The 1911 following here is huge and I think many are full size or close to it. :wink: Has to be probably ''the'' archetypal carry piece nationwide for many.
I didn't even thank about that... and it's been around forever.
I guess because this is my first 45. and the 1911 thing is all kind of new to me. But I defiantly got the BUG, BIG TIME.:danceban:
Thanks, Kimo

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I guess I have to check in too. I carry a Springfield Government Model everyday in a Galco Summer Special (an IWB). I've never had a problem either concealing it, or with just plain carry. I think the only time it was ever uncomfortable is on long drives (two plus hours).

·
Super Moderator
22,294 Posts
I've carried a full size for a lot of years, the trick is in the belt and holster. :wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts