Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used kydex for competition shooting with the normal barrel wear, but never for daily concealed carry. Anyone use the "plastic" holster everyday? If so, would you recommend it, or does it create too many wear marks? Any other pros or cons?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know the cons about kydex, but if you "conceal" many of those notions are mute. The Kydex does hold my weapon close to my body and conceals well. A very good gun belt helps with that as well. As for wear marks, my conceal gun gets drawn way less than my competition gun and I have no issues with that. The kydex does draw very nicely and for daily wear gives me confidence that if I need to draw the weapon it will allow it without undue drag (some of my leather holsters, especially IWB can be difficult to draw from) Re holstering is a breeze and the retention is very good if not better than my leather. I like the kydex and am very pleased with Blade Tech and Galco versions.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I carried a Kahr MK9 with Black-T finish in a Blade-Tech S.O.B. holster for about 12 years. I never had any issues with wear. The finish looks as good as new. I recently bought a PM9 and carry in a Crossbreed MiniTuck (leather/kydex), but I haven't had it for more than two months. I'll let you know in a few years how that holds up. :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have cared with Kydex since day one with a full sized 1911 works well for me.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
My most carried holster is a Comp-Tac paddle. It does wear the finish on contact points but I don't believe it wears it any faster than my leather holster. If anything, I think the leather wears more surface area off. Either way, if you carry something often, it will wear.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I used kydex for competition shooting with the normal barrel wear, but never for daily concealed carry. Anyone use the "plastic" holster everyday? If so, would you recommend it, or does it create too many wear marks? Any other pros or cons?
I use my DeSantis Scorpion an awful lot with my Glocks. Daily carry for the better part of two years. Either the Glocks take wear well, or the holster has little or no effect on them to this day. Others kydex holsters or pistols may give different results.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I use two kydex holsters for EDC. They are the Blade-Tech 2 O'Clock carry with a Ruger Sp-101 (pic)

and a Blade Tech paddle holster with a CZ Sp-01 (sorry no pic).

Neither shows appreciable wear and certainly no more than my leather holsters. I keep all my holsters clean because I believe that the chief culprit for holster wear is dirt accumulating in a holster. Kydex holsters are great because I can just put them in the dishwasher and clean them with ease.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Last time I counted I had six holsters for my Kahr P40. My kydex and my Sideguard are my two favorites. This kydex has served me well and it's what I wore today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've used Blade-tech holsters for 10-12 years now for cc and duty and have never had a problem with them damaging a gun when kept clean. I particularly like that the belt channel can be made rounded to fit the hip and that this does not change the way a belt fits. Most leather holsters make the belt snake though the slots and changes the way it fits your waist and if pulled tight can/will change the retention of the gun in the holster. Also, if you get that kydex dirty just put it in the sink and wash it. Not so with leather.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I carry either my PM9 in a FIST K5 or a G33 in a FIST K4A daily. I love the ultra thin kydex and don't carry leather much often at all anymore. For my Seecamp, I'll breakout one of my Del Fatti PH-3s but otherwise kydex is winning me over more and more.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Ramrod. I have a Scorpion but I wear it only with my Tactial 511's as it seems a bit large for dress slacks. It is very solid and comfortable in the web belt but not a leather belt.
I've gone back to a Bianchi 120 for daily wear, am i doing something wrong?

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
I have used kydex pocket holsters and like the 'thinness', have found that extended wear of IWB kydex to be less comfortable than leather...not impossible, just less comfortable.OMO:wave:

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can have both. I recently purchased a leather lined kydex holster from Tucker Gunleather. I got the Silent Thunder inside waist band, and carry my Glock 26 in it. I haven't been carrying long, so my basis for comparison is pretty limited. However, I'm very pleased with the holster. Last week I wore it while shoveling snow and it kept the gun in place very well. Reholstering the gun is easy because of the rigidity of the kydex, but the gun only comes in contact with leather. As for comfort, I don't have any other IWB holsters for comparisons, but the Silent Thunder is not uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I am of the opinion that carry guns are not safe queens and a scratch or two or holster wear is not an issue. Think of them more like a practical tool than a pretty decoration.

Kydex does wear finishes faster than leather, but all holstera will cause wear marks.

Practice with what you carry. Holsters included...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I carry my 640-1 in an old Blade Tech with rubber belt loops or a Fis 1AK clip.
Both are very comfortable and conceal very well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll do a search of the holsters mentioned to check them out. I guess another concern was exactly how tight and close to the body does an OWB kydex provide? Because the Blade-Tec I used in competition seemed to stick out away from my waist too far for my liking. Nice for speed draws, but not to my liking for daily carry. I prefer a holster that's tight against the body.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I guess another concern was exactly how tight and close to the body does an OWB kydex provide? Because the Blade-Tec I used in competition seemed to stick out away from my waist too far for my liking. Nice for speed draws, but not to my liking for daily carry. I prefer a holster that's tight against the body.
Take a look at the Kydex holsters from Raven Concealment. I don't have any personal experience with them, but they seem to have a lot of very good reviews. From a few of the comparison pictures, it looks like it holds very close to the body.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts