Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the other thread on this that was closed and thought I’d open up another topic. I carry at work, the management is not aware that I carry at work and would probably fire me on the spot if they found out. I accept this as a possible consequence of my violating company policy and I understand that I may lose my job over this.

I believe that my employer has the right to set conditions of employment and I agreed to be bound by those conditions when I accepted the position.

The reason I opened this thread is to encourage debate among those W/ opposing viewpoints.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Can you be fired for carrying at work in violation of your employer's policies?

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Yes.
Mid-length answer: Yes.

There's a pattern there....

Frankly, this topic is ready to join the list of wastes of bandwidth that have been done over and over again, just like:

9mm v .45?
How to do you use the restroom with your gun on your belt?
Chambered or not?

On a more serious note - if this thread even hints at going down the road that the last one went (which seems inevitable), it's going to suffer the same fate. So please, no ad hom nonsense - discuss the topic and not one another.

Matt

·
Registered
967 Posts
In short, YES. They have the right to fire you, especially if you are violating company policy.
Yep...IMO this is really a no brainer and not much for disucssion. They say no...well no means no.

You go against thier wishs and regulations..and they find out?..well?

If you say to somebody not to do something in your house as such....you expect them to respect that request, no?. If they don't and blantently disrespect your wish's...... would you not ask them to leave?

.......:tired:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep...IMO this is really a no brainer and not much for disucssion. They say no...well no means no.

You go against thier wishs and regulations..and they find out?..well?

If you say to somebody not to do something in your house as such....you expect them to respect that request, no?. If they don't and blantently disrespect your wish's...... would you not ask them to leave?

.......:tired:

+1 well said

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why I started this thread

This is an important topic but, unfortunately, is closed by request from the OP.
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.
Apparently one of the admins felt that this topic was important and really didn't want to close the other thread on it and only did so because the OP requested it.

I opened this thread to give an opportunity to continue the disscussion.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
As I've read thru these "carry at work threads" I can't see how some would risk loosing their job in a time where the unemployment rate is 10% or higher?

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
At the risk of losing your job, in an economy that is NOT conducive to an over abundance of new employment opportunities, I'm not sure I would risk carrying at work, when the employers policy is obviously "NO you can't carry". There is a time and a place to challenge authority, and IMHO this may not be that time nor place. JMO.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I can't carry at work because it's illegal (state law). If it were just a company policy, I might have to think about the ease of finding another job. What do you think? Do you feel lucky?:blink:

·
Registered
236 Posts
It all depends on the state law and how that blends with company policy.

Some states require written warning notices, and a record of violations before they can fire you. Depends on whether you have a labor contract or are employed at will.

If it is only company policy and you're discrete, why would they know? The only way they would know is if you stopped a deranged killer at a board meeting before the CEO and BD were all killed. How could they possibly fire you then?:king::xyxwave:

·
Registered
182 Posts
IMHO if you want to challenge a company policy hire a lawyer, but don't tempt fate. If you break the rules don't complain if you get fired, it's no skin off my nose either way. Martyrs may be inspirational but are rarely useful.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Your quesiton has been answered, yep, they have the right to fire you if you break company policy.

I will go further to say that in states that are right to work states, which really means right to fire, the employer can fire you for any darn reason they see fit.

So this is really not worth rehashing, and after 100+ posts in the other thread it pretty much has been covered. If your job is critical to your families survival, go ahead and risk it, but don't whine when you get :nutkick:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I saw the other thread on this that was closed and thought I’d open up another topic. I carry at work, the management is not aware that I carry at work and would probably fire me on the spot if they found out. I accept this as a possible consequence of my violating company policy and I understand that I may lose my job over this.

I believe that my employer has the right to set conditions of employment and I agreed to be bound by those conditions when I accepted the position.

The reason I opened this thread is to encourage debate among those W/ opposing viewpoints.
This isn't even debateable...the short answer is yes, an employer can terminate. We don't have to like it, support it, or whatever...doesn't change the fact that the right to terminate is there.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have not yet read all the posts here yet, so If I repeat, so be it.

In short, yes.

Colorado being an " At Will" state, your employer can fire you for any, or no reason at all.
Being found out just gives a handy reason, but no reason has to be given in the end.

Make sense?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
And this is one of the hazards of our electronic age. If your employer reads your post on this forum they can fire you! Every couple of months when it is a slow news day Headline News will run a story about an employee who posts something stupid about their employer on face book and then getting fired for it and whining about it.
As has been pointed out, some states your employment is "at will". They can fire you because you lace your shoes left over right instead of right over left. Or because it is cloudy today. The only things they cant fire you for are because you are a member of a "protected class" as defined by a court. Even then the burden is on you to show that is why they fired you. Unless they flat out say "we are firing you because of who you are." as opposed to "we are firing you because of this behavior." it will be an up hill battle.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I have not yet read all the posts here yet, so If I repeat, so be it.

In short, yes.

Colorado being an " At Will" state, your employer can fire you for any, or no reason at all.
Being found out just gives a handy reason, but no reason has to be given in the end.

Make sense?
This is it in a nutshell. If you are in an "at will" state that can fire you for pretty much anything that is not protected by a contract a violation of some civil rights.

Michael

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Since you did not tell us what type of work you do, we can only assume you feel a great need to carry at work knowing that if you get caught it could be grounds for dismissal.

Are you in such a position that you feel threatened while at work and need to defend yourself against bodily harm or imminent death during your 8 hour shift, OR are you just carrying in defiance feeling within that you have every right to do so, to heck with what the "man" says?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
1) I live in an at-will state, Texas. I work for a large municipally owned utility.
2) I carry my weapon on me all the time, leave it locked in the truck at work. I possess a Texas CHL.
3) Company has a no firearms policy in place.
4) Do I understand if I am discovered I will be fired? Absolutely. Do I care?

Of course I do. But then again my need for self-preservation overrides that fear. I can always get another job, but there is only one life to live.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts