Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does "printing" on shirts cause problems with others while concealed carrying?

I live in Arizona, where it's pretty hot. I just got a Glock 19 with a holster that goes inside my pants, and connects to the belt. I noticed that the bulge of the handle is a little bit noticeable when I wear t-shirts. I wear t-shirts a lot since it's so hot here. I haven't started carrying yet, and I was wondering if people could share their experiences of how others react if it's slightly noticeable that a person is carrying. I don't want to make people feel worried, and I also don't want to die of heat stroke.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I don't worry about it most of the time. As many others will probably tell you, most people are too absorbed in their phones and own life to even notice a small bulge. there are a few that may, but as long as your legal i wouldn't worry about it. It just takes time to get used to it.

·
Registered
44,563 Posts
I find loose shirts with some sort of pattern to be more effective at disguising a firearm that ant solid-colored shirt. It doesn't have to be "Hawaiian-style," just ant pattern to break up the outline--the primise of any good camouflage.

Plus, few will notice anyhow.

·
Premium Member
38,939 Posts
You will likely hear an entire spectrum of opinions, from "Don't worry about it" to "My God, man, you are looking to get yourself killed!!!". Several factors go into effective concealment (or lack thereof), and you need to decide how important it is to you.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Well, you might need to rethink a compact double stack 9 for CC in the hot summer months. I don't carry anything larger than my single stack Shield when all I can wear is a T or Polo shirt (actually it's all I pretty much carry anytime). However, most people wouildn't even notice you carrying a Fullsize 1911 with their noses buried in their phones and such, especially if you wear a T that's a size larger. I just don't want 2 different wardrobes for when i carry or don't and don't like wearing tents.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I should have clarified. There are times when my situation requires deeper concealment, i carry in shoulder holster for those times. As Mike1956 said, it is different for everyone and their situation. Weekends I don't worry about it. M-F working for liberal clients, I keep it well hidden.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I've been pocket carrying for about 6 months.

J frames and LCR only.

No problems. I can look in the mirror and imagine that I'm printing, but I really don't think anyone else can tell a pocket revolver from a wallet or big smart phone.

I usually wear an un-tucked shirt anyway which further hides the pants pockets.

Not a problem for me

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I find loose shirts with some sort of pattern to be more effective at disguising a firearm that ant solid-colored shirt. It doesn't have to be "Hawaiian-style," just ant pattern to break up the outline--the primise of any good camouflage.

Plus, few will notice anyhow.
So... something like this?

White T-shirt Clothing Sleeve Top

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
My EDC is a SA XDm .45 C that is very similar in size to a G19. I wear t-shirts 80% of the time in the summer and printing isn't really a problem.

You can conceal a G19 if you want to. The question is, do you want to?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
If AZ is an OC state I wouldn't worry too much. But, if not, I recommend AIWB. Here is SC we can get by with shorts & t-shirts almost all year. Since, I went to "appendix" carry, I've never had a printing issue at all.

-

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
You will likely hear an entire spectrum of opinions, from "Don't worry about it" to "My God, man, you are looking to get yourself killed!!!". Several factors go into effective concealment (or lack thereof), and you need to decide how important it is to you.
Mike is right.

You live in AZ. Both CC and OC are legal. Dont worry about it....

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
IMO, it comes down to what situations you get in and what ramifications can result from a knee-jerk with some sort of power or influence over you can occur. Such as, getting noticed while working for someone else, or having a friend, associate or family member you don't want knowing noticing things. Only you can gauge whether the blow-back you're likely to get from your own situations is going to be a pain, or worse.

Some simply don't have the issues that others do. Some live in states where there's essentially no effective MWAG calls made unless mayhem is occurring, where they work for themselves, don't have "anti" relatives, etc.

If you've got situations that might have ugly ramifications for you, evaluate. If not, great.

Myself, I don't have many such situations to worry about, thankfully.

As for "printing" ... toy around with a different holster, one with a different ride height, cant and snugness of pulling the butt-end of the gun into your body, along with carrying along a different spot on your belt. You might find it amazing how large a sidearm you can effectively conceal. Depends much on your body shape at that spot. And it'll depend much on the sort of clothing you wear, as not all covering garments have the cut, drape, material weight and/or color pattern that effectively conceals. You might find changing to different shirts can help the effort, ones cut differently, cut a bit larger around the middle, cut a bit longer, ones with heavier material to drape better, ones with a different color pattern to visually break up the lines. Things to try.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The bigger the gun, the bigger the shirt. I have carried everything from a J-Frame to a 608 Taurus in Revolvers and as big as a Glock21 in Semi Autos. All were carried AIWB. No problems.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I live in Arizona, where it's pretty hot. I just got a Glock 19 with a holster that goes inside my pants, and connects to the belt. I noticed that the bulge of the handle is a little bit noticeable when I wear t-shirts. I wear t-shirts a lot since it's so hot here. I haven't started carrying yet, and I was wondering if people could share their experiences of how others react if it's slightly noticeable that a person is carrying. I don't want to make people feel worried, and I also don't want to die of heat stroke.
First and foremost don't worry about it. I carry a full size Sig CC all the time and to my knowledge no one has ever noticed I was carrying, that includes people that I have been to restaurants with. I carry on my hip OSW with a custom Kytex holster. To be sure the butt end of the gun will show against the tee at times dropping your shooting arm to your side will hide that if you feel it is needed, but to the average person it would mean nothing. I wear a Tee shirt (loose fitting and the bottom hemline below my pocket line)outside. In the cooler months (below 80 degrees) I wear the tee inside with straight hemline shirt unbuttoned. On some occasions I wear a sport jacket and no problem there either. With a little practice I have found that I can hook the thumb of my gun hand under the tee lifting up and forward I am able to draw involving one hand about as fast as I can with a OC rig. It has been a great May hasn't it, I have chill bumps in the early morning. Stay safe and say hello to Sheriff Joe for me. Semper Fi J.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
I don't think most people would even notice much less guess it's a gun. But you might look into some of the offerings in the thin, breathable button down shirts. They are as cool if not cooler than t's and they cover very well.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Most people will think it's a cell phone so don't worry about it. If someone says something to you either ignore them or tell them, wait for this, that it is a cell phone and to mind their own beeswax.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So... something like this?

View attachment 111217
OMG if you wear that you are gonna call attention to yourself! :aargh4:

You may even make yourself a target! lol - JK
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Hand

I'm wearing one size larger jeans and shirts for my IWB and any pattern (but that) will be more than enough.
Also don't play with it all day, get confident it's okay and leave it alone.
Don't bend over, learn to squat.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The smallest gun I EDC is a 1911 commander. I've never been made, to best of my knowledge. T's, polo's, short sleeve camp/fishing shirts, and Aloha shirts. The current largest gun I carry is a G20. All shoulder holster, IWB, OWB and no problems. I do find the lightweight poly/nylon short sleeve shirts are more comfortable than T's, but go with what you are most comfortable with. To me a G19 is a small gun and is easy to conceal if make even the smallest attempt. And as others have said, no one who isn't a CCer is ever going to notice; unless you're into spandex muscle shirts.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts