Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another thread, I am looking at getting a Ruger LCP. I was looking online tonight and see that Pro Mag makes both a 10 and 15rd extended mag for it, as well as for many other guns. I did a little reading on other forums and it seems like the universal opinion is that Pro Mag products are awful. Is this true?

I looked at a 33rd Glock Pro Mag at Cabelas once and it seemed OK but I didn't buy it because it was too expensive compared to what I saw online. What are the opinions of their products in general and specifically the LCP ones?

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I have had poor luck with ProMag mags over the years, regardless of the gun they're for. Can't say anything specifically about the LCP but I'd spend a few more for mags that work right.

·
Super Moderator
19,936 Posts
In a word, YES.

Every ProMag I've had the misfortune to try has ultimately been rendered useless via "percussive maintenance" because I didn't want scavengers thinking they could rely on them.

Reactions: OD*

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I really haven't heard a positive word from anyone about them! I only ask because the LCP standard mag is only 6 rounds and it only comes with one, Pro Mag makes a 10 and a 15rd which could make a good backup/range mag. I can get Ruger OEM mags for $25 at a cop shop nearby but they're the 6rd ones only.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They are generally crappy in fit/function and their high capacity mags are paper weights. There was a recent thread here discussing how bad they are. They still manage to flood store shelves with overpriced junk.

·
Registered
330 Posts
bad luck with promag, I buy Mec Gar mags personaly. but they dont have lcp mags yet

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
Hate to be different but I used pro mags in my LCP and Bersa Thunder. Do great in both guns, good luck

·
Super Moderator
18,197 Posts
The issue with Pro Mags is that if you buy three, two of them might work great and one might be a constant annoyance.

You'll look at it and take it apart and it will look no different than the other two, yet continue to fail for no apparent reason.

You'll be sucked in by the cheap price and you'll want to give them a shot and if you buy more than a couple later on down the road you'll kick yourself for being so cheap. It just aint worth the frustration.

·
Super Moderator
22,320 Posts
I won't own another Pro Mag.

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Registered
348 Posts
As I tell my customers at the counter: Mec-Gar is excellent, Pro Mag is terrible.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Please Remember Our Mags Are Garbage.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I have two 15 round Pro Mags for my Hi Point 9mm Carbine and they have worked great.

My dad bought at least 5 or more for his Sig 226 and he hasn't had any problems with them either.

I think they may be like Kel Tecs, real hit or miss.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I have ProMags for my Star Firestar and they work as they should. The only reason I bought Pro Mag is because I could not find factory mags or MecGars for this discontinued pistol.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I haven't used any in my guns,but,an ace hardware store had the 42 rd promags,for my AR.I bought two..I've emptied both 4 times each,and it honestly hadn't missed a beat.That said,it could fail the next time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts