Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a civilian, concealed weapons permit carrier, does the caliber of the handgun we carry make a big difference?

I like to carry different guns, when I’m off duty. And they range from a 1911 45, Browning Hi-Power 9mm down to a pocket carry pistol.

Living in Florida tropical heat, I seem to always come back to a pocket carry pistol in 9mm kurz.

And the reason for this is as a civilian, while we are out in the public our goal is NOT to stop the bank robber, mugging, convenient store robbery, etc, and act as the "police". It is to protect ourselves, and the ones we love.

As such, I'm sure, even a couple 22 LR, (much less a 9mm Kurz) to the chest of the first bad guy will "stop the threat", and myself and my loved ones will be left alone.

What’s your opinion?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't get too hung up on caliber.

When it gets colder and I can use shoulder holsters again I start carrying my Rossi 5 shot 44 SPL. Not because I think a carry caliber has to start with a 4 or only big bore will do. I carry the 5 shot 44 SPL because it fits my hand like a natural extension and I am very accurate with it.

When it's warmer I carry my LCR 38 and don't worry that I've "dropped" down in caliber.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Not really, although there are some who believe it is, and try to project that on everyone else, it’s really a lot of nonsense.

I make my choices based on a lot of different things, and gun style and platform get a priority, biased as it may be.
I like classic guns, and have actually came to really dislike the modern stuff.

I like 1911’s and revolvers. I like lever actions over AR’s. I like big bullets over small bullets.

But ill I’ll still stick a modern gun like a BG 380 in my pocket and go about my business.

I have no problem with the idea of pressing a 22 LR in to a SD role. Hell, I have been to places where I would have felt like a little 22 in my pocket was the hammer of Thor compared to what I had at the time.

The cottage industry of training and tactical “ experts” have done a great job of taking money and dumbing down those who are prone to not think for themselves. It’s just one of the truisms that Capitalism hangs its hat on.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
For myself avoidance of stupid people, places and things goes along way in solving potential problems. I am also not into the carry rotation concept thus a S&W Shield 9X19mm 24/7.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Given the fact that most defensive uses of a gun do not require firing, even a BB gun would do most times. Most times all it takes is displaying the weapon, from simply lifting a shirt and grabbing hold to drawing. But that's not why we carry. Roughly a few thousand times out of the 2.5 million defensive uses of a gun each year merits pulling the trigger. According to Ellefritz (SIC??) caliber doesn't matter as long as it's a service caliber, from (power-wise) .380 to .44 magnum. Since the idea is conceal, pretty much anything you can conceal will work, but skip the .22 unless that's all you can deal with. But obviously that's not the case here. For most people (us civilians) that's something in the size range of a Shield, XDs, P365, etc. That is, a barrel of about 3-3.25 inches or so. The .22 CAN kill and CAN stop a threat, it stops the threat at a much lower rate than any of the centerfire calibers you can get.

·
Registered
33,896 Posts
Living in Florida tropical heat, I seem to always come back to a pocket carry pistol in 9mm kurz.
Just couldn't bring yourself to say .380, could you?

I think much too much is made of caliber, when placement when, where, and as often as needed is more important. Every caliber has succeeded; every caliber has failed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Debating on a TX 22 (16 + 1 ) at a little over 1 lb. Just missed the $50 rebate last summer, when I first heard about it.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
To a certain extent, no.

·
Super Moderator
19,229 Posts
As such, I'm sure, even a couple 22 LR, (much less a 9mm Kurz) to the chest of the first bad guy will "stop the threat", and myself and my loved ones will be left alone.
A .22 ricocheted to the chest of President Reagan took 15 minutes to slow him down. He walked into the hospital on his own two feet, although collapsed right after that. Disabuse yourself of the notion that a .22 is a "fight stopper." Lethal, to be sure, but not a reliable fight stopper.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I love .45 ACP, always have. I like it in my 1911's, GLOCK 30/21, XDS .45 Mod 2, XD Tactical .45 and in my Ruger .45 convertible Blackhawk. I carry my G30 and XDS .45 a lot.

That being said, I carry my G26 and Shield 9mm more than I do my .45's. Sometimes you may catch me with just my Smith 642 or Ruger LCR.

No matter which of the above mentioned guns/calibers I carry on the street, .38, .357 Mag, 9mm or .45 ACP, I always feel well armed !! So I reckon I ain't too hung up on calibers.

I must admit though, in the woods, I rather .357 Mag or .45 ACP.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Shot placement with an adequate caliber (380 and up) is the main issue. Remember that folks have gotten to the hospital recently with 19 bullet wounds to non-critical areas from "big" calibers like 40SW and others have dropped like a fly with one shot from a 9mm. Shot placement baby.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
A .22 ricocheted to the chest of President Reagan took 15 minutes to slow him down. He walked into the hospital on his own two feet, although collapsed right after that. Disabuse yourself of the notion that a .22 is a "fight stopper." Lethal, to be sure, but not a reliable fight stopper.
But then again this was "The Gipper".

1 - 20 of 95 Posts